• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boiler pressure – higher or lower
  • Earl
    Free Member

1) My Vaillant says the range is 0>3 bar. So what should I be aiming for when the water/rads is hot? 1.5 or 3.0?

2) How much increase is normal from cold to hot?

Boiler is upstairs in a 2 level terrace if that makes any difference.

Read the manual – not much joy.

Much thanks.

divenwob
    Free Member

The manual will tell you where to set it when cold,it will rise as it heats,how much is determined by the volume of water in the system vs the size of expansion vessel.Why do you ask?

markrh
    Free Member

Normally around 1bar when cold, you don’t want it near 3bar as the pressure relief valve will start dumping pressure, then it’ll start leaking and you’ll be forever topping it up..

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Usually ‘about’ 1/2 bar per floor when cold.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

So if I were constantly topping up our system, it is probably (possibly) an overworked relief valve?

Another little thing to look for.. M

trail_rat
    Free Member

More likely a leak or an under pressured expansion vessel.

Tie a bag over the prv outlet to check if its the prv or expansion vessel.

metalheart
    Free Member

1.0-1.5 when cold. Is there a red line on the gauge about that? As it’s upstairs 1.0 should be enough (equates to roughly 10m head, that’s plenty).

0.25-0.5 increase when hot is not unusual.

chiefgrooveguru

More likely a leak or an under pressured expansion vessel.

Just refilled our expansion vessel with air – looks like all our problems with the boiler needing topping up, especially when the radiators had all been recently bled, may be solved! Pressure is varying so much less between hot and cold now.

Earl
    Free Member

When the boiler was installed 2 years ago it was reading 3bar hot. Thats how the plumber had set it. I never really questioned it too much as no experience with a combi boiler before and for some reason it made sense to me i.e. lots of pressure easier to push the water around the house…

Heating has been on the last few nights and it takes forever to get the rads warm. If I opened them up downstairs the upstairs ones would never get warm even after a hour.

Time to read the manual again – will bleed it down to 1 bar if its right – much thanks stw.

cardo

Hi Earl..
    If the pressure is between 1&1.5 bar and you still have the issue of slow warm up then I’d be tempted to call a heating engineer mate.. Unless the system has a lot of air in it , which bleeding should get rid of, you might have another problem.

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks – cardio – set at 1bar now and going to test it tonight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Boiler pressure – higher or lower’ is closed to new replies.