Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • BMW 1 Series – any good?
  • Kryton57

I found a 120d I quite like – the newer bigger one, quick with 180bhp 0-60 7secs and £30 tax, 60mpg climate Nav Bluetooth etc.

What’s the real world user experience? Too small? Does a bike go in the boot front wheel off?

paddy0091
    Free Member

usually see them being driven aggressively 😉

wombat

I had a test drive in one, found the ride very harsh (could have been the runflats) compared to the Focus that I was replacing.

Boot is OK, similar in size to a focus.

Lacks rear legroom IMO.

The salesman I dealt with at my local main dealer was a stroker of the first order so my view of the car may have been tainted…

Overall probably OK but I think the current Focus is a nicer place to be, handles better and is significantly cheaper to buy (I didn’t buy a Focus or a 1 series).

EDIT, just noticed it’t the newer one you’re looking at, the one I drove was an 09 plate 120d

jambalaya
    Free Member

A relative just got an M1, a lot of car for the money I thought. Rear seats take kids easily but do look a bit snug for adults, I haven’t tried a bike in the boot but with rear seats down the load bay looks big enough for a bike on its side with front wheel off. Apologies to @wombat but I wouldn’t compare a Focus to a 1 Series, chalk and cheese.

wombat

No probs Jambalaya, each to their own. 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We’re about 3 months into 1 series ownership. Got one as it is a bit different to the usual FWD hatches and none really had any wow factor, so thought we’d give a BMW a try. As Wombat says, boot is as spacious as most hatches of a Focus/Golf etc size. Rear legroom is OK but not particularly generous, but the middle seat is obscured more by the transmission tunnel. To drive it is very nice. Interior is a dull and drab as any German Marque i’ve sat in – very conventional layout, a lot of black, but very nice quality feel to it. We went for the auto gearbox with the 1.6 turbo petrol engine (same as the Mini Cooper S), so is quite spritely with OK fuel consumption, the gearbox is tight and responsive, especially in sport mode. I would have liked the red leather interior if the budget stretched.

Overall very very pleased. It’s also my first BMW and quite impressed. Plenty roomy enough, nice to drive, feels solid and quality. Definitely worth a test drive.

superhooper

I have a Mk2 M135i. Bike fits in boot with the rear seats folded easily. Not the prettiest of cars (looks like a bread van from the side) but my god it is quick! I have the adaptive dampers and when you set it to comfort the ride is good enough for long journeys. I have done a couple of trips to the Alps in it and I don’t feel beaten up at the the end of the journey. Mine is an auto and although it is not a double clutch it is as good as the DSG I had in mt prvious VW Scirocco.

milky1980
    Free Member

Had a new 114D as a hire car a few months back for a week. Found the ride very harsh and the dash came down very low so my knee hit it every time I got in or out (I’m 5″6′). Also found the gearing meant it was either lethargic and lumpy in 3rd at 30 or buzzy in second (6 speed manual) and hard to keep at constant speed. Much preferred the Golf i had a few weeks later. Abysmal rear visibility too, thankfully it had reversing sensors!

LHS
    Free Member

They are fantastic little cars, especially in the 135i format. We have run one for about 18months with no issues and genuinely a comfortable ride. Just swopped it in for a 340i as I prefer the look of the 3-series.

tenfoot

I have a 13 plate 120d M Sport which I inherited when i joined my present company.

I’m very pleased with it. Handling is good enough for me, although maybe not as sharp as a Focus. The engine is fairly vocal under load, but cruises more quietly than the Golf I had before. Performance is excellent. It can pull up steep hills in a gear higher than what I’m used to and the engine seems pretty flexible for a diesel – nice low end torque, I guess.

Accommodation – my 13 y.o and 10 y.o fit ok in the back but if we are travelling long distances, we take my wife’s car, which is the family car.

Interior – ok. The interior on mine is lifted with the use of red leather, so not as drab as some. The glove box rattles when it’s been hot outside, and the centre arm rest rattles too, if I don’t hold it down with bluetack which is a bit disappointing. As said above, my bike fits in fine, with a front wheel off, and I’m 6 foot, so the driver’s seat is a way back.

All in all, I like it, but then I am a BMW fanboy.

EDIT

60mpg climate Nav Bluetooth etc.

I don’t get anywhere near 60 mpg. Usually hovers around 45.

Kryton57

Great feedback thanks all. I’m test driving tomorrow, and taking my 29er 🙂

mmannerr

Could be a nice car for the summer but it is really dependent on the computers on slippery surfaces. I have learned to drive on crap 80’s cars without ABS, ESC etc and most of them weren’t as bad as this with driving aids turned off.

One snowy evening test drive was enough for me but my brother-in-law enjoyed his for a couple of years. But he enjoyed his Alfas too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We had one for a few years (but previous model). Apart from a Cooper S, it was the most enjoyable to drive (and I had had a few previous small family hatchbacks as a company car driver in a previous existence). I’d happily have another.

It was however, the shittest car I’ve ever had when we had heavy snow. No matter what sequence I tried, we couldn’t move it. 😐

(Good fun on a frozen car park though once we did.)

retro83
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Apologies to @wombat but I wouldn’t compare a Focus to a 1 Series, chalk and cheese.

Not really, I’m looking at both and they’re pretty similar. Then again I don’t care about soft touch interiors or premium badges.

My personal view is that the Focus ST-diesel and the Ecoboost 125 actually drive slightly better overall and are cheaper (/or give better spec for the cash depending on how you look at it), have more usable boot space and rear legroom.

The only thing that keeps bringing me around to the 1 series is the fact it’s RWD which I think is going to be going the way of the dodo for small cars very soon, to be reserved soley for exec barges. I want to get one before the chance disappears.

NB. before anyone claims I’m a unitard for thinking the Focus drives better, read the Autocar review of the new 1 series in which they mention the focus is nicer to drive, or look at the Telegraph ‘fun to drive’ ratings (10 for the Focus, 9 for the BMW), and there are many others.

SaxonRider

deadlydarcy – Member
    It was however, the shittest car I’ve ever had when we had heavy snow. No matter what sequence I tried, we couldn’t move it.

Seriously DD, what sort of tyres were you running that it was so shit?

tenfoot

The only thing that keeps bringing me around to the 1 series is the fact it’s RWD which I think is going to be going the way of the dodo for small cars very soon, to be reserved soley for exec barges. I want to get one before the chance disappears.

Yep – the next 1 series is going to be FWD

smatkins1
    Free Member

My brother’s got one and he takes both wheels out to get his 26″ wheeled SC Blur in. I’ve been with him in it to the Alps a few times and we were able to fit two bikes in the back with both wheels off and all of our kit for a week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the 1 series, liked the first version too but the newest version much nicer to look at and if I’m not wrong looking like the same size as the E39 3 (may have gotten that E number wrong but I’m thinking 53-56 reg ones)

Can’t really go wrong, unless it’s a white one.. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seriously DD, what sort of tyres were you running that it was so shit?

I can’t remember Saxon…it was two cars ago (i.e. we’ve had 5ish years of two other cars since) – tyres would have been the run-flats, but just normal and we’ve always been diligent about changing them. We’d had really bad snow in Brizzle and the car was parked facing uphill and had to get out over a hump of frozen slush/snow and then get up the road – same conditions. I tried getting out normally. Then tried the method described in the user manual for getting going in snow. Then tried with a neighbour pushing. 😆 Tbh, it was all getting a bit embarrassing 😳 so I gave up after a while. I’m sure it was my bad really…thankfully, we didn’t need the car for a few days, but my shitty FWD Berlingo van had no such bother. 😀

fizik
    Free Member

1 series are common as muck around here, sure they may be good but i would rather have something a bit more original

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    NB. before anyone claims I’m a unitard for thinking the Focus drives better, read the Autocar review of the new 1 series in which they mention the focus is nicer to drive, or look at the Telegraph ‘fun to drive’ ratings (10 for the Focus, 9 for the BMW), and there are many others.

Damn, just missed the edit window. Didnt mean to imply that my opinion is fact because of the reviews above, jsut that they are pretty close.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My comment on chalk and cheese was due to fwd vs rwd and family hatchback vs “sports tourer”, I’d see a Golf as more comparable to a BMW 1. Fully appreciate there are different views. Re above comments on snow that’s one of the main reasons I’ve discounted a BMW 1, I’ve toyed the idea of an X1

iain1775
    Free Member

Had one 6 years ago
    My back has only just recovered from the harsh ride (spots suspension and run flats)
    Was a lovely handling car though
    Size wise it was just about okay not much room in the back, couldn’t get 5 adults in one
    Bike fitted fine although I got a Thule 9106 boot rack and modified it to fit in the end

njee20
    Free Member

My comment on chalk and cheese was due to fwd vs rwd and family hatchback vs “sports tourer”, I’d see a Golf as more comparable to a BMW 1. Fully appreciate there are different views. Re above comments on snow that’s one of the main reasons I’ve discounted a BMW 1, I’ve toyed the idea of an X1

Eh? The 120d is the hatchback Shirley? Yeah ok FWD/RWD, but I’m not sure I’d compare a crossover like the X1 to a Golf/Focus and say the 1-series hatchback is entirely different 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn’t the 1-series the only one in it’s “category” with RWD anyway. If so, it’s out on its own! 😀

(Oh hang on, does one of the Mercs have RWD as well?)

tinybits
    Free Member

fizik – Member
    1 series are common as muck around here, sure they may be good but i would rather have something a bit more original
    POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Such as? It not like a golf / focus / Astra / Megan / I don’t know what else is exactly rocking horse poo is it?!

Fwiw, I like the 1 series, good fun to hoon. Supposed to be economic and no real issues.

I’m a boring car bloke though and stick to a golf!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

That’s where I got to Tinybits. All the generic FWD cars look the same. Merc have even made their RWD A-Class look like a FWD car. I like the long bonnet on the 1 series. The styling might not suit some, I don’t mind it, but I just like the shape. Not particularly fussed doubt RWD. People who fancy themselves as superstar drivers or petrol heads will waffle on about the virtues of RWD, I personally think modern FWD cars are just as capable and far more suited for a road car, but a RWD car does feel nicer. the MK1 Focus is the benchmark for hatchback handling in my experience.

Go on, cars are boring these days and there is very little to choose between them other than aesthetics, and brand preference. Having had a few Hyundai’s and Kia’s as hire cars recently, even they have caught up with Ford, and the German marques in terms of quality, dynamics and robustness.

Not sure why you’d want an X1. Take a good car and make it worse – no bigger inside (if anything smaller) and ruin the handling by jacking it up. if you live up a farm track then fair enough.

simon_g

F20/F21 (ie. current shape) are more generous for rear legroom and boot space than the previous. Rear-facing baby seat is fine behind the passenger although I can’t fit it behind my usual long-legged driving position. We manage OK for UK holidays with just the one baby (bike goes on the roof) but will definitely need something bigger if/when we have a second.

Seats fold flat (unlike a Golf) and I get a 29er hardtail in easily with the front wheel off.

Unless it has 6 cylinders under the bonnet you’re doing it wrong however.

Kryton57

Well, we have a 4WD Kuga to wander through the 3″ of snow we have here in London occasionally. The car is mainly for me to drive, will rarely have our two kids in the back (6 & 3), and my cars never seems to need any adults in at all.

I was set on a 3 series but I don’t need a big car just for me to get around motorways, so as long as I can get my 29er and a kitbag in, a rack on the roof, and a few camping bits for my annual Bonty 24/12 trek I’m happy.

Appreciate book numbers on the 60mpg aren’t realistic, but £30 a year tax on a 180bhp 380nm torque RWD toy is a bonus.

I’ve actually a choice of a 120d Sport in black with Nav, or a 120d M Sport in dark metallic grey with no Sat Nav which is £30 a month cheaper (both have Bluetooth so my phone will read directions through the speakers for me). They are 2013 with 13500 and 16000 miles respectively.

I like the idea of in-car Sat Nav and am a bit attached to it, p’raps more than I should be.

Unless it has 6 cylinders under the bonnet you’re doing it wrong however.

I get that 🙂 but nursery fees cap the budget.

njee20
    Free Member

I get a 29er (or two) easily into a Golf with the front wheel(s) out, although yes, they’ve not gone properly flat since the mk4. Non issue though really, unless you want to sleep in the boot, which I did in my mk4!

geoffj

I like the idea of in-car Sat Nav and am a bit attached to it, p’raps more than I should be.

Me too, BUT the system in my 64 plate 320d is poor in terms of use and routing compared to waze on my phone.

Kryton57

Ah ok, so maybe the phone option is better and more flexible to updates… I’ve also discovered the Sport has front and rear parking sensors, the cheaper M Sport doesn’t have any. I don’t need those though.. right?

geoffj

Ah ok, so maybe the phone option is better and more flexible to updates… I’ve also discovered the Sport has front and rear parking sensors, the cheaper M Sport doesn’t have any. I don’t need those though.. right?

Parking sensors are worth it IMHO
    The phone option is technically better, but looks cheap and nasty with mounts and trailing cables etc. if that sort of thing bothers you – it does me 😈

Kryton57

It won’t have mounts. It’ll live inside the armrest whilst charging via USB.

Parking sensors are worth it IMHO

I can’t help thinking life may be frustrating without them, but we all drove without for years before recently…

retro83
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    That’s where I got to Tinybits. All the generic FWD cars look the same. Merc have even made their RWD A-Class look like a FWD car.

That’s because it is front wheel drive!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How much is it compared to a 3 series? 3’s are better built and loads more room, but I’ve wondered about going from 3 to 1 because it must be even more fun to throw around than the 3.

Don’t let the winter no sayers put you off. Yes rwd takes more skill in snow, but I just carry snow socks for when it’s really bad. Last winter I was driving on snow covered roads where numptys in fwd were struggling

ski
    Free Member

owned a new 116i for the last three years.

Good points – fun to drive now the engine has bed in, feels nippy and handles well, has a better ride than the first version. Love the speed limit option, great for town driving or through roadworks, very handy feature, wish more cars offered that option.

Bad points – orange peel paint, dealer did offer to sort but we were not that bothered at the time, but now wish I had got it sorted, standard sport seats have worn quickly! It’s only covered 15k but the front seats material don’t look as if they will last much longer? in the winter it suffered badly with condensation, eventually fixed, missing seal letting damp air into the cabin.

Mrs is swapping over to the dark side and is planning to get a A3 🙁

geoffj

It won’t have mounts. It’ll live inside the armrest whilst charging via USB.

Interesting I’d never thought of just using the voice instructions, I might give that a go.

Kryton57

How much is it compared to a 3 series?

I’m looking at a £15k car approx, with low PCP, fuel & tax payments to get me through the next two years of nursery payments. I’d like it new-ish and warrantied to avoid nasty surprises.

I can certainly get a 3 series in that price, but most are pre-2011 with 50k plus miles and missing some of the kit I want, a weird colour (does anyone really drive a maroon red 3 series) and/or have the shitty cloth seats rather than leather of sports seats.

I guess in summary I’m getting more of a (cliche warning!) driving experience in the cabin for the buck with the one series.

And I need one fast – I’m currently without a car and travel around for work.

Edit: Actually, I probably will find the 3 series I want, but they sell quickly – I’ve been on the phone for 5 days to the locals dealers to no avail, missing 2 opportunties. Maybe I should wait? I don’t know, lets see how the 1 test drive goes.

Kryton57

Interesting I’d never thought of just using the voice instructions, I might give that a go.

? You can used the idrive or steering wheel?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘BMW 1 Series – any good?’ is closed to new replies.