Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • BMW 1 Series – any good?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sat Nav on my phone plays through the car speakers, but it won’t come up on the built in car screen.

Oh and by the way iPhone 6 is not compatible with recent BMW models

Kryton57

I have a 5s – but will test it tomorrow, thanks.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

It won’t have mounts. It’ll live inside the armrest whilst charging via USB.
    Interesting I’d never thought of just using the voice instructions, I might give that a go.

POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

The voice instructions through the speakers only work with an iphone* not android

*some iphones it seems

geoffj

Sat Nav on my phone plays through the car speakers, but it won’t come up on the built in car screen.

Did you really expect the maps from your phone to appear on the screen?

Oh and by the way iPhone 6 is not compatible with recent BMW models

What doesn’t work? My 6 works in my year old 320.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had a 116i as a hire car a few years ago, it felt slow but I’m used to diesel and petrol cars feel gutless to me (and it was slow), but it was beautifully made and you can feel the benefit of RWD and all the effort they put into balance and all that, it was like a grown up version of my MR2 which is high praise from me.

If I didn’t have kids I’d love one of the faster ones, a coupe ideally. I’d get roof bars, I’ve got an estate and mine goes on the roof anyway.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What doesn’t work? My 6 works in my year old 320.

Playing music from the phone either via Bluetooth or USB. The local dealership couldn’t get it working, they spoke to BMW UK who just said it wasn’t supported and that wasn’t go to change

geoffj

Playing music from the phone either via Bluetooth or USB. The local dealership couldn’t get it working, they spoke to BMW UK who just said it wasn’t supported and that wasn’t go to change

How old is the car? Like I say, my iPhone 6 works flawlessly with my motor and I’d find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t support the iPhone 6 anyway – sounds like they are taking the piss to me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

320d March 2014

I kid you not. Went quite high up in customer services that their £35k car couldn’t do something so simple

geoffj

😕

geoffj

FunkyDunc – I think I found your related thread on piston heads. Are you trying to use a y cable or just a regular USB cable? I’m just using a regular short Amazon basics cable – not one that plugs into the audio too.

simon_g

Bluetooth audio streaming became a standard thing on the 1 series sometime in 2014. Before that it was only with some “enhanced” option (which I think also allows you to plug a lightning USB into the socket and have it just work). It wasn’t that unclear at the time I ordered which did what, I just didn’t want to pay for it on a 2 year lease.

I got a 3rd party y-cable to 30-pin iPod lead, then plugged a 30-pin bluetooth adaptor into that (the kind designed to make iPod docks bluetooth) and it works fine.

Phone goes on a discreet Kenu Airframe mount on the front vents, and I found a charger with a short/curly lead that works nicely for the distance between.

agent007
    Free Member

NB. before anyone claims I’m a unitard for thinking the Focus drives better, read the Autocar review of the new 1 series in which they mention the focus is nicer to drive, or look at the Telegraph ‘fun to drive’ ratings (10 for the Focus, 9 for the BMW), and there are many others.

I’ve only driven the MK2 1 Series in various guises, but have driven the new shape Focus and I completely disagree with this. The BMW was streets ahead in the ‘nice to drive’ stakes. The Focus felt bloated, de-sensitised to drive, heavy and bland. The 1 Series was a much nicer drive. MK1 Focus, now that was different, a really nice drive but sadly it seems to have lost its way a little now that’s it a little more lardy IMO.

tenfoot

Kryton, my 1’er has the built in satnav. The newer systems are way better than the older systems. You can now put in the full postcode, which was something you couldn’t do previously.

I like the little extras on it such as DVD playback, and the fact it shows the album cover up on the screen of whatever you are listening to.

I have parking sensors all round, also, which are very handy. Passenger’s side rear view mirror dips in reverse, too.

Kryton57

Yes, I’m sitting here thinking I should go with the additional functions of the Sport, over the looks and M badges on the M sport…

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Yes, I’m sitting here thinking I should go with the additional functions of the Sport, over the looks and M badges on the M sport…

POSTED 57 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

I wouldn’t go with the sport, it looks bobbins compared to the M sport spec

fruitbat

retro83
    Free Member

agent007 – Member
    I’ve only driven the MK2 1 Series in various guises, but have driven the new shape Focus and I completely disagree with this. The BMW was streets ahead in the ‘nice to drive’ stakes. The Focus felt bloated, de-sensitised to drive, heavy and bland. The 1 Series was a much nicer drive. MK1 Focus, now that was different, a really nice drive but sadly it seems to have lost its way a little now that’s it a little more lardy IMO.

Well you’re entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong. 😉 Only kidding but seriously try a 125 ecoboost, it’s light years ahead of the mk1. So agile and confident.

Compare to the BMW which to me felt oversprung and underdamped. Sorry for the cliche but it’s great up to 5/10 then it starts to feel out of control as soon as you encounter any bumps.

Maybe it’s just because the roads around here are in such awful condition. Probably better on nice roads.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I can’t put full postcode in my sat nav. I’m not impressed with the BMW sat nav system at all and still use the Tom Tom. I’d have been disappointed if i’d paid for it. Maybe it needs a software update.
    The audio streaming is brill, and will play spotify too if you’ve got a wifi or 3G signal (it’ll obviously play anything you can stream over BT).

tenfoot

I can’t put full postcode in my sat nav

Weird, what age is your car? I used the satnav in an E46 3 series (54 plate) before and that was partial satnav. When I got the 1 series I have now, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to put in the full code.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a brand new one, the latest facelifted model. I’ll have another go, maybe it was operator error.

LHS
    Free Member

Bluetooth music, voice controls, dialing etc work fine on our 3-Series for both Iphone 5, 6 and Nokia Windows phone.

iain1775
    Free Member

I have parking sensors all round, also, which are very handy. Passenger’s side rear view mirror dips in reverse, too.

That dipping mirror is surprisingly useful, about the only thing apart from the handling that I miss from my old 1 series

On the iPhone/radio issues my radio head unit had a fault that it wouldn’t retune automatically as you moved from one FM area to another. BM consistently refused to acknowledge there was anything wrong, right up until the warranty ended ,then they suddenly offered to replace it (was a company car so didn’t cost me anyway but the poor customer service put me off ever owning another BMW again)

Kryton57

I wouldn’t go with the sport, it looks bobbins compared to the M sport spec

I don’t disagree. But the Sat Nav & parking sensors make a lot of sense when you bear in mind I travel all over the place for work….

Edit: I just read the google maps thread, so it’s just the parking that’s the issue.

Marge
    Free Member

It’s a great drive (IMO)
    Once you are used to the RWD any FWD car feels a bit ‘frustrated’ & short on traction on our frequently damp roads.

Focus is razor sharp at higher speeds but when lower speed acceleration is called for it just doesn’t match up to the BMW

Biggest downside to the 1 for me is the size, particularly rear seats & boot but if that’s not a problem then grab one while you can.
    It’s probably going to be the last ever small RWD car…. 🙁

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I drove a 1 Series and an A3 Sportback back to back on the same route same day.

The A3 was easily the better car, it is nicer inside it all looks slicker than the BMW in which the satnav screen looks a bit thrown together.

Space wise the A3 has loads more space for passengers.

The boot is easily big enough to fit my 160mm Ariel in with the front wheel off.

I did prefer the overall look of the 1 series but not enough to sway me.

Kryton57

Is X Drive any good? They’ve a fully loaded (Nav, cruise xenon etc) 120d with X drive for £1k more.

Could be good for the snowy days and getting out of muddy XC race parking fields…?

craigxxl
    Free Member

The wife has an E82 Coupe M Sport version of the 1 Series. Boot space between the hatch and coupe are very different so can’t really comment.
    No real problems with the car and build seems very good. Lots of rubbish about the N54 engine cam chain problems. There was an issue with failing tensioners but these were mainly resolved in later 2009 anything new than that should be safe.
    Driving experience is nothing special and I don’t get the BMW handle better than any other cars because they don’t. I’ve driven plenty of other cars, front, rear and all wheel drive. They are just different characteristics to each and driven much better rear wheel drive cars than a BMW.
    Automatics economy is below average in urban driving giving around 33mpg and steady motorway only returns around 52mpg. My 10 year old Mondeo would trounce the BMW on economy.
    Comfort is good, the M Sport suspension and run flats aren’t harsh at all like others report.
    Servicing costs are a joke even using an independent who aren’t a great deal cheaper than main dealers.
    Winter driving can be entertaining without the right tyres. The first experience of snow had the rear wheels spinning up and progress was very slow. Tried the additional weight in the boot for traction was good for getting going but also made the back end more likely to step out on corners even when going slow. Found it better without the weight in the boot and just using tickover to move off. Getting a set of winter wheels made the car much better but it’s an additional cost plus storage when not in use.
    It’s a good car, well built but not sure if it’s that much better than a Focus or Golf for much less money.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My best mate has an X1 and whilst it took him about 3 months to accept the looks, he adores it now. It’s a mighty fine place to be, suggest the sports wheels or sports pack if you can afford it.
    I really like it, Mrs likes it too.

So much that we bought a Merc GLA with the Advantguard pack, blinking fine piece of engineering, lovely place to be.

ransos
    Free Member

We’d had really bad snow in Brizzle and the car was parked facing uphill and had to get out over a hump of frozen slush/snow and then get up the road – same conditions.

I remember that year well. I got my offroad vehicle out of the garage (Giant Trance) and as I was cycling up the hill on the way to work, I was met by a BMW sliding back down it, rear wheels spinning furiously. He didn’t look too impressed as I went effortlessly by – was it you?!

geoffj

Is X Drive any good? They’ve a fully loaded (Nav, cruise xenon etc) 120d with X drive for £1k more.

Would you want a Quattro variant Audi?

Kryton57

Would you want a Quattro variant Audi?

Are you in Sales?

OK point taken. I’m off to the dealers, will report back later.

geoffj

I went for the x drive. It costs about 5mpg apparently, but I like the extra grip for Edinburgh cobbles on those sketchy February mornings 😆

Srsly though it might be useful if we get another cold winter – chuck on some winter tyres and it should be good for the Col du Dunfermline and cheeky getaways to Glenshee,

Kryton57

Well, job done.

The x drive sport I didn’t like – more kit but a nasty plastic steering wheel, and the default black paint cheapened it. So I went the “cheap” monthly route and bought the M Sport. It drives lovely, and has the benefit of being a “no fuss” car – you set everything up one and then just get in it and drive about.

Oh, and phone/google maps goes through the screen/voice as applicable via Bluetooth, no issues.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xKXx6V]VehicleImage[/url]
    The End

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well done.

Phew.

New shades then ??

Kryton57

New shades then ??

Already done, my Persol’s were nicked on holiday, so I treated mnyself to these in duty free (with grey lenses):

tenfoot

OO – looks the same as mine. Enjoy

(EDIT – the car, I mean)

Kryton57

Excuse my manners – thanks to all involved here for your time & advice.

bedfordrd

Blatant plug: To all the new and existing BMW 1 Series owners (and, I guess, 3 Series) – I have a set of original BMW alloy wheels (5 spoke, 16″) with part-worn Nokian WR ‘All Weather’ (with emphasis on winter…) run-flat tyres.

Bought for when I had a 1 series, and is a ‘night and day’ difference in winter driving, especially snow. It’s that ‘dropper post’ moment: you wonder how on earth you managed without it!

Decent Winter tyres have to be used to be believed.

Sorry for the plug – but please PM me for details if you’re interested. They’ll be on eBay as soon as we get some cold weather and BMW drivers wish they could carry on driving safely. 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah – I might be interested in those bedfordrd

Bit difficult to PM you if you have no email address in your profile, though!

Rachel

bedfordrd

Whoops – sorry! Corrected now, I think…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘BMW 1 Series – any good?’ is closed to new replies.