Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Blue tac stains on wall…….how to remove?
  • SiB
    Free Member

I know, not the most exciting of q’s, sorry!

Daughter is moving out of her halls of residence on monday and she wants to get rid of blue tac stains on her room wall (painted emulsion) so she gets all of her deposit back…………any ideas how/what with?

She asked me if wd40 would do the trick……?

Thanks

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

wd40

gavmtb
    Free Member

Rubbing it with a lump of blutack sometimes works as it pulls off any thats left on there. Depends on the wall and the mark but used to work for me at Uni

robdob
    Free Member

Firstly try rubbing fresh blu-tak on the “stains”. They may not be a stain, more like a tiny bit of dried blu-tak left on there. Works quite well most of the time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lightly sand effected area.

Cougar

http://www.blutack.com/faq.html

How do I remove faint stains from the walls?

Citrus based stain remover is the best. If the walls have been painted sometime ago, they can become porous which will suck the oil out of Blu Tack. In this instance, you will need to clean with Sugar Soap and generally repaint the surface.

Bear in mind that some wear and tear is expected. Whether the landlord accepts it is another matter, but if the deposit is protected (which it should be by law) then they’d have to demonstrate unacceptable damage.

freddyg
    Free Member

Nuke ’em from orbit. It’s the only way.

globalti
    Free Member

Blu-tak leaves a dark oily blob on emulsion and wallpaper. I’ve never tried it but I reckon a light degreaser like glass cleaner might do the trick, depending on how far the stain has penetrated.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Blu-tak leaves a dark oily blob on emulsion and wallpaper. I’ve never tried it but I reckon a light degreaser like glass cleaner might do the trick, depending on how far the stain has penetrated.

😀 Hence wd40

PiknMix
    Free Member

Tip-ex 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

WD40 will make a massive mark and prevent overpainting. If anything works I’d expect isopropyl alcohol and blotting, but not rubbing.

For goodness sake try it on an inconspicuous area first!

globalti
    Free Member

WD40 is a light oil! As above, that will make the marks far worse!

Any volatile solvent will do; as suggested by GFS above, damp the stain then blot it in the hope that the solvent will disolve the stain and carry some of it away.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just over paint it. Pop down B&Q for a £1 tester pot. If you do a thin coat it’ll pretty much blend out

kayak23

Worcester sauce and Newcastle Brown ale.

Raindog
    Free Member

Cover it with a poster 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Blue tac stains on wall…….how to remove?’ is closed to new replies.