Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Blue Pig views? Other similar long travel HT's?
  • alpin
    Free Member

it would seem that a few people out there have these new fangled welded tubes and are riding them.

would any of those people like to express their views on their little prides of steel?

how are they built up? ok to stick 160mm Lyrik fork in there? built up weights?

other recommendations of similar steel frames (long travel) would be welcome. currently have an Alpine (15/21) but find the TT too short in slow technical spots…

Straightliner

Really enjoying mine. It's only got 140mm Revs on it, but a real blast to ride. Previous bikes have included a steel Inbred and a Patriot for reference.

Good points:
    Wonderful spring to the frame which I guess is a factor of being steel, but also clever engineering.
    Steep seat tube makes climbing easy for this style of bike
    Weight – not sure what mine has built up to, Revs and XT kit but it doesn't feel particularly heavy
    Downhill it's a complete giggle, that slack head angle makes it really capable and with the edge taken off the trail buzz through the frame, you can really let it rip
    Pedallable – it's a really easy bike to just take anywhere, and will go up and down most things well

Not such good points:
    Flat singletrack – this may be me just not getting it fully dialled in yet, but on flat singletrack it doesn't feel as precise and I'm more prone to the front end not holding in there as well as a steeper angled bike. As I say, it could be just me not getting enough weight on the fork at this stage, and I don't have the problem when pointing down hill.

Blanking/Cable Guide bolts – the aluminium is very, very soft so be gentle when tightening them up.

Overall I am really, really enjoying it and would definitely recommend it. It's substantially less cash than many rivals as well (not all I admit), which also helps.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I can trackstand on one whilst reciting the lords prayer – any good?

alpin
    Free Member

thanks straightline….. sounds tempting.

not religious Ralph. but good to know.

hora
    Free Member

If I was sticking a Lyrik on a hardtail it would be a Alpine or Sovereign. Nothing else warrants the cost of the fork.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

currently have an Alpine (15/21) but find the TT too short in slow technical spots…

Is a short TT not an advantage in these situations? I thought longer TT's on average were good for stability and stretch. I fully realise these assumptions may not be technically correct 😉

But then again we can always find an excuse to but another bike / frame / bit of kit 😉

Ben_Haworth

"If I was sticking a Lyrik on a hardtail it would be a Alpine or Sovereign. Nothing else warrants the cost of the fork."

eh?

alpin
    Free Member

Hora has spoken….. again. 😉

i find that with the longer top tube on the Sanderson its easier to find the balance point in slow technical spots. 2/3" isn't a massive amount overall but in the cockpit area it makes a difference. it may just be my riding style, i don't know. on the Alpine i find i have the saddle right back on the rails (not wanting a longer stem to compensate) and therefore a little wandery on the climbs.

also the longer wheelbase gives a little more stability at speed. the Alpine can feel a little twitchy; although i think i hit much higher speeds on that compared to the Sanderson. perhaps the longer fork encouraging me to give it more 'wellie'.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Lyric U turn would be an excellent choice (and I have ridden both Lyric and Blue Pig)

alpin
    Free Member

i currently (not really as it's flying around in the post somewhere between germany and the UK) a 2-step Lyrik. great fork – when it works.

the head angle on the BP (rated 130-150mm) is slacker by one degree than the Alpine (130-160mm) so i'm guessing handling won't be far off….

should i sell the Alpine and buy a Pig? oink!

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I should elaborate. I mean why put an expensive fork into a lower priced frame? Balance of cost throughout the bike. If I had a bluepig I'd put on air maxle Revs or Pikes. Ive recently had Lyrik coils on my Orange5 and they were total overkill (and bloody heavy). Air revs are spot on now 😀

Two step Lyriks probably an idea on BP but still they are expensive for what they are? Sorry, Im in a economy mindset at the moment 🙁

rolfharris
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign. The best bike, in the world, ever. And no, it doesn't feel like your Alpine.

thejesmonddingo

Hora,I had to read that twice LOL
    Ian

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Hora – yet again you illustrate you really don't know what the funk you're talking about.

No offence like 😉

hora
    Free Member

Stop being such a fanboy 🙄

nbt

I would tend to agree with Cheeky Monkey on this one Mark. Better to keep silent and appear ignorant than open your mouth and prove it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Interesting concept there hora, speccing a bike by value distribution across its components. It should make for som interesting rides.

I'll stick to speccing mine for their intended use thanks.

soobalias
    Free Member

so the revs are seen as lacking in travel, this surely applies to the Pikes as well then?
    And, Lyrics are too heavy, even the air ones, so i guess that pretty equally rules out the Fox 36's (vans, talas and floats)

So 140mm is too little and 160mm is too heavy?

So what is the best all round fork (150mm & air & light yet stiff) for these long travel hardtails?

Fox 32's, Zocchi 55's, Manitou Minutes, DT's

hora
    Free Member

Its an opinion, its a personal opinion. If you ride like Steve Peat then I'll listen to your 'feel' for a bike. Dont look down on others please.

150 Rev's?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/16192/Rockshox-Revelation-Race-Dual-Air-150-White-Red-w-Maxle-Lit.html

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lol @ nbt.
    😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a hunch that the differences between suspension forks of different prices are a lot more interesting than the differences between hardtail frames of different prices.

If you have a £250 frame and a £400 fork the bike is going to be fine. But if you had another £500 to spend, you'd get a far better bike by socking most of that extra money on the fork than you will by spending it on the frame, or by dividing it equally between frame and forks.

wors

so what warrants an extra £200 for something like a soul over a blue pig?

hora
    Free Member

Big Dummy true however (this would need a better/technical able rider) double-butting, straight-gauge etc, construction of rear triangle, thickness of material etc etc all have a bearing on the ride? Its more subtle in hardtails but then you don't have a rear shock to hide any detail though?

soobalias
    Free Member

probably not fifty fifty, slightly more in favour of the fork i would think.

a good fork cannot fix bad frame building/material/geometry but assuming there is nothing hugely 'wrong' with the frame the forks probably make the most difference.

that said im a big fan of nice new tyres, ODI lockons and a Ti rail gobi to tame pretty much any hardtail

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Blue Pig views? Other similar long travel HT's?’ is closed to new replies.