Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Blu Ray vs DVD damage and LoveFilm
  • toby1

Is it just me or does anyone find that LoveFilm BluRays arrive damaged about 1 in every 4?

Are BluRays more susceptible to damage than DVD’s?

And yeah, I have tried cleaning the discs, and updating the firmware but I still only get halfway through a disc before it just dies. Stick a brand new disc in straight after and it is all fine.

Like I said this is only 1 in 4 so far (over about 12 rentals) and they do re-send them but it’s just getting a bit annoying and I might sack it off anyway.

</firstWorldProblem>

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yeah, I get the same problem with Blu-rays from LF. But I’m still too impressed with the bargain service they offer to be bothered by it.

Cougar

I’ve had two since I started with LoveFilm, both the same movie (Rocknrolla) annoyingly.

On the upside, they’re very good at sending replacements, they just get a new one out rather than requiring the faulty one back ‘for inspection’ first.

Some do need cleaning, I’ve had a couple that look like someone ate their dinner off them. After a good wipe down (centre to edge, never round in a circle) they’ve always played fine though.

woody2000

I experienced the exact opposite! DVDs were always pretty poor, but since switching to bluray I’ve not had a single one that’s been damaged.

Grimy
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for a couple of years on a 4 blurays a month subscription. That’s about 80 odd discs and I’ve never had a bad one yet? Either your pretty unlucky or your players a bit temperamental.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve only had a couple in over a year. Do you report the fault?

retro83
    Free Member

Haven’t had any faulty BRs yet. My only beef with them is a lack of choice on the Blurays and the online service.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

BluRays were always fine for me but their streaming is rubbish! Netflix is much better on that front.

toby1

I was wondering if maybe I just had a slightly temperamental player (it’s a Panasonic so I would have thought it’d be ok), hence the question really, was wondering if maybe I just rent the films that other people like to use as coasters.

The latest one actually looks like it has been stepped on as there are loads of little impressions of grit in the disc, no scratches just little dents.

They do handle it well, it just annoys me when you get part way through the movie and can’t watch the rest.

Good to have some other opinions though 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

I have had 2 damaged ones from lovefilm out of about 50.

Thankfully my damage rate is not as bad as yours OP.

toby1

@ Ho hum – I’m a very lucky boy 🙂

I’ll keep it up for a while longer then to see how it pans out.

woodsa
    Free Member

Never had a faulty DVD yet, have I just Jinxed the next order?!

I’m not an expert on Blu ray’s but I’m assuming that as they contain far more data a scratch the same size as on DVD would damage far more of the film?

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve not had a single bad blu ray from lovefilm in the 2 years since I got my PS3

before that I would get the odd dodgy DVD – and usually found I could finish watching the film on the laptop if my DVD player couldn’t cope with it.

My conclusion is that some players (both DVD and blu ray) cope better with playing dirty/ slightly damaged discs than others

oh – and after initially thinking it was rubbish I now find lovefilm streaming to be excellent – much better than netflix. I tried the free trial and there was hardly anything worth watching

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Blu Ray vs DVD damage and LoveFilm’ is closed to new replies.