• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bloody tubeless
  • hols2
    Free Member

Never had this problem with tubes, this is the final straw, gonna bin this one and start over.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ulp! What tyre is that?

mogrim

That happened to one of mine, think it was a Maxxis. Binned it.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve just realised what that tread pattern reminds me of.
    IRC Kujo FTW.

hols2
    Free Member

WTB Motoraptor.

legend
    Free Member

Does this actually have anything to do with tubeless? Just looks like ****/poorly made tyre

submarined – Member
    I’ve just realised what that tread pattern reminds me of.
    IRC Kujo FTW.

That was my first thought – “who the ****runs an old Kujo tubeless?!” 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

Best hardpack tyres ever.

hols2
    Free Member

Does this actually have anything to do with tubeless?

The tyre had been punctured and had spat out a bit of sealant. I topped up the sealant and went for a ride. I think what happened was that the sealant blocked the exit hole, but the air got between the tread and the tyre carcass. This caused the tread to separate. Wouldn’t have happened with a tube. It finally went off with a nice bang as I was taking a nap and woke me up.

madhouse

I’d put that down to the tyre carcass failing. I’ve been riding tubeless for years and have never experienced that.

v666ern
    Free Member

PLEASE change your pedals 😯

cultsdave
    Free Member

Even without the giant hole that tyre is worn out and only fit for the bin.

pocpoc
    Free Member

as I was taking a nap and woke me up.

So that’s why you’re so upset about it?
    Never nice to be woken from a daytime nap.

hols2
    Free Member

PLEASE change your pedals

I love those pedals.

ehrob

+1 cultsdave, tyre looks very worn even without the problem.

matt_outandabout

It does look like you have had a fair wear out of them.

They look like this new:

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I can’t see it fair to blame tubeless for that when the tyre was never designed for it, and it clearly has loads of wear.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you go back to tubes, and then you get a tyre failure, what’ll you do then? 🙂

I’ve had more tyre failures whilst using tubes than tubeless. Stuff fails. Tubeless is still better.

legend
    Free Member

v666ern – Member

Ooft I didn’t even notice them! They were shit in 1999 never mind now!

hols2
    Free Member

Never found anything else as good at shedding mud.

oink1
    Free Member

hols2 – Member
    Never found anything else as good at shedding mud.

Those things make my shins weep! 😯

hols2
    Free Member

This is the hole that blew out in the tyre. Most fascinating exploding tyre I’ve ever seen. The pictures at the top are of two different places on the tyre. I got back from a ride and left the bike to dry off while I had a coffee. When I went to put it away, I noticed the rear tyre bulging in one spot (the top picture). I turned the back wheel to get some light to take a photo and then saw the big blister in a different place (the second picture). That blister wouldn’t have survived any riding, so it was literally blowing itself apart as I watched. Air from inside the tyre seemed to be seeping into the tyre carcass and getting trapped under the tread, so the tread was blistering all over the place. I was a bit sleepy after my morning ride so I took a quick nap, only to be woken by the tyre exploding. Very disappointing, I’d just managed to wear it down to that sweet spot where it’s nearly as fast as a slick.

hols2
    Free Member

I’ll do something about those pedals tomorrow, apologies to anyone who finds them unacceptable.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’d just managed to wear it down to that sweet spot where it’s nearly as fast as a slick.

That’s because it nearly is a slick .

hols2
    Free Member

Woo hoo, all fixed. Shiny new pedals and tyre seems to have sealed up nicely. I’ll try a quick ride after work tomorrow.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bloody tubeless’ is closed to new replies.