Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bloody student loan!
  • scaled
    Free Member

I paid off my student loan about 18 months ago, so you can imagine my surprise when I checked my pay slip this month to find a deduction for over £200.

The thing that concerns me now is who do I get this money back from, is it my responsibility to take on the bureaucratic nightmare that the SLC or should work reimburse me for what (i’m assuming) is their **** up?

I’d ask HR directly but they’re in a meeting, and I’m a little frustrated to say the least!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I still have my letter apology from the SLC for deducting despite the fact they knew I was earning too little. (many years back now) Took a lot of effort to get.

lemonysam
    Free Member

In my case, a cheery fellow from the SLC phoned me up to tell me he’d be transferring me £50 and the payments stopped. That was about 3 years ago so it could have changed.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I let them continue to take mine for 2 years (after finding out they definitely pay it back).
    They paid a year back and told me it would stop but it continued for another year. I never bothered stopping it again and used it like a savings account that the wife never needed to know about. Ended up getting a couple of grand back in the second year and as soon as it got paid back I blew the lot on bike bits.

It is pretty easy to get it back. I just had to write them a letter and they cancelled the payment and transferred the money into my bank. took about 2 weeks from first contact. although I seem to remember that they could only do it at the end of their financial year and I timed my phone call to suit.

peterfile
    Free Member

I paid off my student loan about 18 months ago, so you can imagine my surprise when I checked my pay slip this month to find a deduction for over £200.

Did you swap to direct debit payments in the last year?

They send a letter when you have about 1 year left of repayments, explicitly stating that if you do not switch to a direct debit, deductions will continue to be made from your salary after it has been cleared.

Although, given the gap of 18 months, maybe they are picking up a difference in the settlement from the previous financial year?

scaled
    Free Member

They actually had to refund me money when it got to the end of the financial year.

HR are very confused and on the phone to Sage now :S

peterfile
    Free Member

Maybe you went back to university and just forgot? 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

This happens to so many people it’s hard to believe that it’s simply due to incompetence, highly competent though SLC are at incompetence.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That may not be the end of it. The government has sold a whole wedge of student loans to a bunch sharp practicers and double dealers for a fraction of the outstanding value. They are milking them for all they’re worth using methods fair and foul.
    These are probably the people who took your money ; http://www.erudiostudentloans.co.uk/

Northwind

Ironically, when Erudio took on my loan, they reviewed past complaints and paperwork (unprompted) and deducted £800 off my outstanding balance. I figure they can’t be much worse than SLC at anything else.

wordnumb – Member

This happens to so many people it’s hard to believe that it’s simply due to incompetence, highly competent though SLC are at incompetence.

I think a great deal of SLC’s “incompetence” is completely by design, it’s just too unlikely otherwise- too much correspondence gets “lost” for instance (they insisted they hadn’t received a deferment from me until I provided the tracking number, then suddenly oh! There it is.)

When I was working for the bank, they were the only company I ever heard of where after putting huge efforts into trying to win their business, a director phoned them up and said “You lot are more trouble than you’re worth, you can **** off”. Staff at their old bank were gutted 😆

toby1

Don’t the tax office deduct it from your PAYE. So the SLC aren’t really the right party to blame in this instance.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Not surprised at all that SLC also send out fake legal letters to intimidate graduates (source: Independent).

gogg
    Free Member

I cannot think of a word to describe them that won’t get me into trouble for trying to bypass the swear filters.

So I’ll just describe them as an absolute shower.

Phil_H

Erudio are shit too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bloody student loan!’ is closed to new replies.