Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bloody Postman
  • iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

Sorry if there is any decent postmen on here but mine has royally pissed me off (or the system has)

Been sat in waiting for some forks to arrive, Postman came and pushed some letters through me letter box (no knock) and i found a "sorry you where out" card in there saying i had to go pick a parcel up. I chased him up me drive and asked if i could have it, He didn't have the bleeding thing coz "i'm not usually in" (which is BS as we're a farm so always someone about) So i now have a 12 mile drive to go bloody get em.

Sorry for rant but am i alone here?

Haze

Right I'm no postie, but there's no way I'd be lugging a parcel of that size around with me!

retro83
    Free Member

Happened a few times to me. Annoying especially as the depot nazi wouldn't then let me get my stuff until 12 (or 24 hours? can't remember now) had passed.

👿

sockpuppet

I'm no postie, but there's no way I'd be lugging a parcel of that size around with me!

but if you were, then it would be your job to do just that.

i'm lucky, the wiggle and crc boxes (or anything that looks exciting) get extra care – our regular postie rides too!

RustyMac

I got charged £1.07 (7p dfference from small to large letter + £1 fine)and had to drive 4 miles to the depo to collect a letter from my mum. This was in a A5 envelope and had the grand sum of 2 birthday cards in it neither of which weighed much. I complained as it was a small letter not a large letter but they wouldn't give me it till i paid. I knew one had cash in it from my gran so had to pay the scumbags to get my birthday present.

complete bar stewards.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Where we are bigger parcels are delivered by the delivery office via postie in a van- not a walk the street postie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Apparently quite common, some sort of cost cutting.

iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

I live out in the sticks so it all comes via a postie in a transit van. he does a couple of villages and most of the farms,

I have to go tomoro to pick it up, and the post office shuts at 11 which is a whole other ball ache.

And they wondered why thy didn't get much support in the strikes.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not alone. Had 2 x gear hangers in an envelope not delivered and it was the same – the Royal Mail tracking system was updated at 0645 saying they had attempted a delivery and the card was through my door. At 1030 the posty pushed the card through my door.

Idle, lying, workshy monkeys who don't provide the service they are supposed to.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me why they also feel the need to drop those fudging red elastic bands all over the place?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had a couple of cases of "you were not in" when I was, never caught the postie though, they move mighty fast when telling porkies! Then had a few left out on the step despite being signed-for, which can be handy but not when its forecast rain and it's an electrical item in a card box.

Drac

No problems here they either knock, leave it with a neighbour or hide it and leave a message. Mind the last time I had to go to sorting office there was a new guy working there, he was no use what so ever. Luckily the postie the next day picked the parcel the guy couldn't find up and redelivered it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My postie is golden, touch wood. Never had a problem.

wombat

neil's-on-wheels – Member
    My postie is golden, touch wood. Never had a problem.

Mine too

IanMunro
    Free Member

My postie is generally great too!
    He left a parcel for safe keeping in the greenhouse earlier this week
    Alas he didn't notice the automatic watering system I'd installed over the weekend.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mine's ace. He'll flag me down if he sees me out and about and he's got a parcel, or leave it at work on his way back to his depot. Once he even came round to the swing park after he saw the note I'd left on the door for my daughter.

surfer
    Free Member

For balance my postie is great. Always delivers bike shaped bits I have ordered from the Classifieds and Ebay and asks me how many I have built now!
    Always makes sure I get my stuff and signs for things as well.
    Top bloke!

zokes
    Free Member

Mine's great, if I'm not in, it gets left at my village PO 50 yards away. The only exception to this was on his week off, when I had a hired camera lens not delivered by RMSD when I was off on holiday to collect it (and then take it on holiday the next day). I still managed to get it from the depot easily enough though…

I've even had couriers ring me up, find I'm at work, and bring it to the porters at Uni instead of carting it back to the depot 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just been to post office to post a pair of cycling shorts which will reasonably easily fit through the "large letter" slot, bloke from PO watching told me I had to send it as a parel ,so I aseked why and showed it would go through and he said "no it has to slip through without being forced" now it wasn't being forced. Anyway with a large queue of people I went on a rant at him about how appaling the post office was, ensuring he was aware I didn't have anything against him. Everyone in queue was laughing he then started asking people in the queue who admitted they hated the post office! 1 -0 to me!! Made me smile though as I proved a point that people think the PO give a poor service!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm no postie, but there's no way I'd be lugging a parcel of that size around with me!

+1

I can see why individual posties/RM might think that lugging around big boxes and then having probably a pretty high chance that they'll have to take them back to the depot would be a pain in the a$$. But the RM supposedly provides a service where they deliver stuff to you, not hold it for you and tell you to come and get it. Until that changes then leaving cards without actually trying is out of order.

surfer
    Free Member

Everyone in queue was laughing he then started asking people in the queue who admitted they hated the post office! 1 -0 to me!! Made me smile though as I proved a point that people think the PO give a poor service!

But apparently not bourne out by many of the above. Never mind I am sure you enjoyed humiliating him 🙄

thomthumb
    Free Member

1 -0 to me!!

ha! not when your parcel goes missing!

molgrips
    Free Member

We've had posties push the card through the door without knocking too. We were in one time and went downstairs hearing the letterbox, so I called the number and they got him to come back. He was most upset that we thought he hadn't knocked.

He said he'd flapped the letterbox instead of knocking. Well it's a three storey house, so that's really not loud enoguh and I said that. He insisted it was fine to flap the letter box even though I in my own house was telling him that upstairs you can't really hear the noise. Now this could be me but if my job involved knocking on people's doors all day I'd make damn sure I knew how to do it sufficiently well, and even more than that if someone told me in their specific house that flapping was not enough, I'd flippin well listen to them! You've never even set foot in my house ffs how the hell do you know if the letterbox is audible or not?!

molgrips
    Free Member

I can see why individual posties/RM might think that lugging around big boxes and then having probably a pretty high chance that they'll have to take them back to the depot would be a pain in the a$

Several times I've asked if they can leave it at the depot, knowing that I wouldn't be in. The answer was no 🙄

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm (currently) a postman, I think I'm a not bad one, and I absolutely wouldn't do the leaving-card-without-knocking thing.
    But a wee bit of me understands why some are tempted.
    The workload that is expected of you these days isn't really do-able and people seem to be pushed, often with the managers encouragement, to find ways to cut corners.

I sometimes get finished with my last (out of 6-11) 20+ kilo bag of mail, having to also carry two extra bags of 'not in' packets back to the local post office, and thats sometimes unmanageable.

This sort of thing is only going to get worse however, since money is constantly being taken from frontline delivery (the efficient bit) to bail out processing (the lossmaking bit) and of course, to provide the subsidised service for our competitors

westkipper
    Free Member

Munqe-chick, your argument was with Post Office counters ltd (a separate company from RM delivery), not with Royal mail.
    Rusty mac, You had an underpaid item of mail, from your description.
    Sadly, we're now a cut-throat business like everybody else, not a charity, and we have to claw back any costs. 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I would love it if you could instruct them to leave the parcel at the depot – that would surely help everyone out.

westkipper
    Free Member

molgrips, me too!, I'm obviously out err, delivering, when my local posties are delivering my mail, and I've asked them to do this with any packets… but, they wont (its the rules) 😐

cranberry
    Free Member

My parents postie in N. Yorks is excellent. Whenever I am coming over to the UK to visit I give him *plenty* of work, and he's always friendly and helpful.

Parcel companies/the mail service here in Holland are often rather crap. On the other hand the mail room at work are superb – I've had all sorts of things delivered ( including a roof rack for a LWB Land Rover, which was taking the piss somewhat 🙂 ) They've never been anything other than helpful, even offering to help carry stuff to my car. I ensure that they are frequently supplied with sweeties and biscuits.

molgrips
    Free Member

west kipper – if you are a postie, you can't take your own mail home?

westkipper
    Free Member

No, molgrips-its a different office.
    edit, and TBH, even if I worked in the area where I lived, there are some managers who would try and sack you for taking your own mail home, anyway.
    Anything to 'enhance 'natural wastage-type job losses! 😉

Leku
    Free Member

'Wayne' my last postie was great. If anything had CRC or Merlin on it and we were out, he would sign for it himself and put it through the letter box.

Did Cwn Cairn a few times with him (bloody fast…)

carlosg
    Free Member

Not true , we aren't obliged to carry any parcel over 1.125kg no matter what the size(expecting a foot postman to carry a pair of forks about 🙄 )

West Kipper what the hell are you doing carrying 20+ kg bags the limit is up to 16kg (and thats only for the first 2 bags it goes down after that to account for fatigue)if you have an accident whilst your bag is overweight they will just say it's your fault , if you can't get round your duty in time get your walk tested then adjusted.

i've been a postie for the last 12 years ,I don't drop rubber bands and never leave a card unless I can't get rid of the parcel (neighbour ect)

zokes
    Free Member

Not true , we aren't obliged to carry any parcel over 1.125kg

Good for you, but why not say that on the card, and reduce the cost of the 'service' accordingly? I understand it's not your fault specifically, but I'm pretty sure you can understand the frustrations of those who pay for you to deliver a service (pun probably intended)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I sent a frame in a bike box, with just stamps stuck on the top, not recorded/special/next day or nuthin, and it got there fine, so thumbs up to them for that, they ain't all bad!

westkipper
    Free Member

carlosg, I think myself lucky, my old walk required me to carry 40kgs at one point.
    (our union rep is worse than useless)

snackmix
    Free Member

I once ordered a rare LP, which my kind potman FOLDED IN HALF to get through my letterbox! I was speechless with disbelief when I found it on the doormat.

Haze

Just to add to my earlier post, I'd expect it to turn up by van as has happened to me.

I wouldn't seriously expect the (foot) postie to be carrying my forks with him on his round.

Ho hum…

HansRey

for me, the rural posties (north yorks about Whitby) have been fantastic. One guy even plays with my dog in the garden, running after an alsation is pretty ballsy for a non-family member!

but, in sheffield they're atrocious. I have had many items left outside my door (including a 'signed for' £400 crankset) with no answer, items lost at the depot and lazy posties who can't be bothered to carry my parcel. I appreciate that working conditions have gotten harder and managers are a PITA but it's not on.

Final bit of my rant, my housemate worked at the royal mail place near Forgemasters. He saw workers throwing parcels against walls and floors. They even put letters in bins. Bunch of cowboys

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Postman’ is closed to new replies.