Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • blood pressure 144/63 anything to worry about?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Googling seems to suggest might be hypertension?

richmtb

Well 120/80 is considered “normal”

And systolic over 140 or the diastolic over 100 is considered as hyper-tension

You have a fairly low diastolic.

When, how was it measured?

If it was sat on the couch after chilling out for half an hour then its quite high, if it was in the office after a meeting with HR then its probably okay!

See your GP anyway

DT78
    Free Member

Wife is being looked at by midwifes so as im bored i thought id use the machine to see mine. Last had it checked a few years back and it was similar. Seems to be a big difference between the 2, google suggests more than 40 is bad…

jambalaya
    Free Member

My laypersons 2 cents.

Your top end number is at the top of normal. Your bottom end number seems quote low though (that’s actually harder/impossible to treat). From memory I am 140/90 which is definitely on the high side but not sufficient to need medication, yet.

grizedaleforest

Always best to rely on Google and STW for medical diagnosis 🙂

Get yourself to your GP. He/she may well get you to do a 24hour BP monitor as a first stop.

Really, this is a no-brainer.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Have you bummed or shared needles with any cats in the last 24 hours?

TomB

One off reading- wouldn’t worry. Consider lifestyle, age and family history risks, if you’re worried, see gp.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sounds like you should get it checked by a GP. Mine was hovering in the 140-150s for a few years, before I bit the bullet and accepted the situation (essential hypertension) and went on tablets.

That was about 6 years ago now (I’m 38 now). No side effects, just a healthier level of BP, which is nice (I hover around the 120-135 mark now).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always best to rely on Google and STW for medical diagnosis

Clearly what @grizedale says do go and see your doctor. FYI my blood pressure dropped quite a bit when I was in Singapore, IMHO due to 1) warmer climate 2) yoga 3) being 14,000 miles from now ex-wife – of all of these I think the last one was the most important factor.

natrix
    Free Member

This.

legend
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Absolutely this – worst case of Cat Aids I’ve ever heard of!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Is it bothering you? Do you feel ill? If not dont waste a GP appointment onthe basis of a one off BP reading taken in a place where you’re probably not entirely at ease.

You wouldnt call the coastguard if you fell in a puddle now would you? 😀

wombat

Wife is being looked at by midwifes so as im bored i thought id use the machine to see mine

You do know you’re supposed to wrap it round your arm don’t you…? 😳

edhornby

Wife is being looked at by midwifes so as im bored i thought id use the machine to see mine

the number will rise sharply in about 6 months time and drop slowly over the next 2 years 🙂 congratulations and good luck

DT78
    Free Member

Will book for a routine check up p, its overdue. As for symptoms generally Im ok but i do get occassional dizzyness when i stand up too fast or get too hot.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the congrats…c section on thurs so a little closer!

hora
    Free Member

I’ve just been rectally examined by a young female GP and an older GP. My blood pressure rate was 152/90…

I wonder why?

BTW Caffeine causes a dramatic spike in BP

docrobster
    Free Member

If you do book an appointment about this, make it with the practice nurse or even better healthcare assistant not the GP.
    Studies have shown BP readings taken by doctors tend to be higher than those taken by nurses.
    or buy your own machine and check it at home over a period of a few weeks. If it’s consistently raised then see your GP.
    If you are over 40 you could qualify for a NHS health check which also measure cholesterol blood sugar and kidney function.
    Any lifestyle factors to address?
    Cigs
    Booze
    Weight
    Salt
    Lack of regular exercise
    Address those first.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve just been rectally examined by a young female GP and an older GP. My blood pressure rate was 152/90…

so you presented with raised BP and they responded by examining your arse? I’d be looking for a new GP if I were you

hora
    Free Member

Perenial abcess..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did I read that?

hora
    Free Member

😆 Im currently sat on one cheek. Im certainly not a prude/hold back on detail..

footflaps

so you presented with raised BP and they responded by examining your arse? I’d be looking for a new GP if I were you

He went to the local Benny Hill surgery….

hora
    Free Member

Last time I had Jocks itch it was a female Locum. Trust my bloody luck. Where are all the crusty old GPs when you need one

MrNice
    Free Member

Perenial abcess..

typo of the day! I hope for your sake it only feels like it’s perennial (I assume the word you wanted was perianal)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

White coat syndrome?

Get another check.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Wrong sized cuff being used……gives really erroneous results! 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘blood pressure 144/63 anything to worry about?’ is closed to new replies.