Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Blimey that hurts
  • bol

I had a fairly big off on Thursday night, landing hard on my side on tarmac. I thought I’d just bruised my ribs, but I’m coming down with a cold now, and every time I sneeze the pain makes me squeal. My pain threshold is pretty low, so I may just need to man up. I know that there isnt much that can be done for a cracked rib, but has anyone got any hints or tips on ways of reducing the pain? I’m already taking plenty of ibrobufen and paracetamol.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nowt AFAIK

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Get some opium, it’ll take the sting right out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nothing practical can be done. I can still sense the fear you get when you feel like sneezing with cracked ribs.

taka
    Free Member

brake a leg

bol

I had a horrible feeling that was going to be the response. I’m off to Centreparcs with the family on Monday, so I’m going to have to just suck it up I guess, otherwise I don’t think I’ll be forgiven. Sadly not te first time I’ve got my timing wrong. I think I might have some codine in the back of a cupboard somewhere from my last little pre-holiday breakage.

Anyone know if strapping it up helps at all?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds like you could do with some better painkillers – there will be a local pharmacy open late tonight and over the weekend to get some – a pharmacist can give you stronger stuff than yo can buy without speaking to a pharmacist

bedmaker

Are you sure it’s not a thorn in your side??

pitduck
    Free Member

(Get some opium, it’ll take the sting right out)very morish opium 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Might be able to cut a deal with Co-Codomol, haven’t used up my supply! 😉

Sandwich

If it’s really bad see the doctor for a stronger version of something with codeine in it (assuming you tolerate the stuff). Bear in mind that your bowel function will slow to a crawl with all those painkillers.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

30/500s….mmmmmmm

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I still have some tramadol that I haven’t used.

zippykona

When you feel a sneeze coming push eye wateringly hard on your filtrum. Stops the sneeze.Helped when I did my collarbone.

takisawa2

Doctor gave me pain killing supositories when I cracked some ribs at Coed y Brenin some years ago. They worked.

bol

Oh yes, a codine suppository, I’m feeling better already 😯

Thanks all. At least it doesnt hurt to smile. I’ll be off to the chemists in the morning.

ampthill

I went to a pysio about this

turned out I’d done something to a thorasic joint and she helped loosening this up

but best of all was my wife giving me anti histomine as it almost eliminated sneezing

Konastoner
    Free Member

Don’t know if it will help but try secondary pain treatment, I just went to trim my little toe nail and ripped the whole bloody thing off!!!!! The wife’s just been sick at the sight of it and there’s blood everywhere, that’ll take your mind off anything 😀

I have a plaster on it now and have taken some pain killers too. Red wine also helps.

bol

It hurts when I laugh konastoner. I’ll ask Mrs Bol if she’ll give me a medicinal punch in the nuts.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

With damaged ribs I found sleeping in an armchair easier than flat in a bed. And they tend to get worse before they get better

Konastoner
    Free Member

Jeez man don’t go for the nuts!!!!

You might need them one day

Whack a finger with a hammer or summit 😀

Northwind

GPs for better painkillers, would be my advice.

And +1 for sleeping upright (last time I got some spare pillows and made myself a sort of nest, which gave me a night of blissfully less pain, and a morning of not being able to get out of bed because I’d surrounded myself in bloomin pillows) TBH sleeping is the important part for me, I can deal with pain but not so much with pain + tiredness.

Kevevs
    Free Member

nope. just get on with it I think, keep taking the paikillers. It’ll take a while, Just tough tits m8. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for seeing someone – GP or walk in centre

Get some better drugs

Get checked to make sure it’s nothing more serious

After that MTFU……

roundwheels
    Free Member

not keen on supositories they are abit hard to swallow 😯

Scapegoat

The instructions on the suppositories I had was to place them in the back passage. I laid them in a straight line between the kitchen and the back door, and for al the good they did I might as well have stuck them up my arse……..

reevil
    Free Member

I’m currently nursing a couple of cracked ribs from “landing” a 25ft tabletop onto my shoulder.

Echo all the statements above. Went to A&E, checked me over & recommended Ibuprofen. They don’t do anything else for ribs these days. They did offer to give me stronger pain killers, but I can’t work with them so I’m just Paracetemol & Ibruprofen (2 hours apart if it’s really hurting)

Hayfever has kicked in 🙁 Yesterday I sneezed 8 times in a row, then 12 in a row. Thought I was dying.

OCB
    Free Member

When I did a couple on my right hand side, the most unpleasant thing was the clicking sound they made in the few days immediately afterwards … sure, they hurt like hell, but somehow, hearing them click was worse.

Maybe 12 months later, when I did two on the left, they didn’t click, but I might not have done the same damage I guess, as they are a bit tidier along the bone, and still seem to line up ok (certainly better then the ones on the bottom of the right-hand-side anyway).

Funny things ribs …

Northwind

roundwheels – Member

not keen on supositories they are abit hard to swallow

Aye, for all the good they did me I might as well have shoved them up my a**e.

jonoryan
    Free Member

Hey Bol, I found with a cracked rib that wrapping a towel around my ribcage for support and then twisting the ends to tighten it just before I sneezed helped to reduce the squealing a lot. I don’t think strapping yourself up all the time is recommended though as the resulting reduction in taking full breaths can lead to pneumonia. Marijuana can help in pain management but it is illegal. Get well soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Blimey that hurts’ is closed to new replies.