Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blandings
  • MSP

Missing the mark by a long way, big disappointment.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Planning to watch it later this evening. I so hope you are wrong, but before seeing any of it I have doubts about the casting. Emsworth should be both older and thinner, and Beach looks wrong too. The world really does need a good new Wodehouse adaptation.

RustySpanner

Sadly, that wasn’t really it.

They should just pay someone very, very posh to read the books on the radio.

Just doesn’t suit the tellybox, sadly.
    You need to either read the bloody things yourself or have them read to you.
    It’s the language that makes them wonderful.

The Golf stories are my favourites.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Some of the performances weren’t bad, but the whole thing was a little too pantomime for its own good. And it wasn’t helped by the music which was far too intrusive. I shall stick with the series in the hope of improvements. Freddie I thought was the weakest of the main characters.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only TV adaptation to really ‘get’ Wodehouse was the Fry & Laurie version of Jeeves and Wooster. Perfection.

Didn’t see this, i should add. Spall as a Toff was simply absurd, however

anonymouse
    Free Member

Spall worked surprisingly well, although some of his lines were made a little unclear by the drawl he was using.

RustySpanner

Didn’t see this, i should add. Spall as a Toff was simply absurd, however.

So how do you know Tim Spall was awful then?

Should only certain people be allowed to play the inbred, ineffectual, weak minded, spineless and out of date abominations so well written by PGW?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My opinion of his casting, Rusty. Should have been clearer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Should have been clearer.

So should Spall.
    It was ‘alright’ and probably fitted into its time slot quite well. Did not compare well to Fry & Laurie but that’s probably quite a tough one to follow.
    It’s on series link as a gap filler for now.

Rio

We got about 5 minutes in before deciding that it didn’t evoke Wodehouse and wasn’t funny in its own right, so gave up.

soundninjauk

Mildly amusing on occasion, but I thought it lacked enough Wodehouse dialogue to make it really worthwhile. So far not up to Fry and Laurie, but fortunately I’ve got the box set of that just in case…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blandings’ is closed to new replies.