Home Forums Bike Forum Blackpool?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Blackpool?
  • ratherbeintobago

Thinking of taking the kids to Blackpool to ride up and down the front but looks like the car parks by the football ground which we normally use have height restrictions on them, which is no good with bikes on the roof. Anyone any suggestions where to park? By the airport would be ideal as that’s the south end of the prom but doesn’t look like there is anything there…

matt_outandabout

I am not sure I would leave bikes on the roof of a car anywhere near Blackpool….

And any excuse to repost: https://www.dougiewallace.com/blackpool

ratherbeintobago

I wasn’t planning to, but I need to get to Blackpool and there’s no way three bikes are going in the car with three passengers. Hence need a car park without a height barrier.

fasthaggis

You could start the ride from the Fleetwood* end of Blackpool, plenty of free parking around there.

* not Fleetwood itself obvs,or you would have no car to come back to. ;-) :-)

RustySpanner

Just no.

Park at Lytham.

Ride to Blackers. Don’t stop. Turn round and ride back.

Better still, don’t  go there at all.   Honestly, it’s  bloody awful.

If you want an old fashioned seaside vibe nearby, go to Llandudno. It’s almost as depressing, but quaint with some nice buildings.

Avoid Rhyll. It’s even worse than Blackers – the UK equivalent of Vegas, without the class.

ratherbeintobago

I am fully aware of the horror of Blackpool having spent two months living in the hospital accommodation at the Vic in Feb/Mar 2000. But…

Problem with Lytham is that (AIUI) the cycle path stops at Starr Gate and it’s on road from there, which I’d rather not. Parking in Bispham or something would work but the only car park the internet can provide is Saino’s who might object to me leaving the car there all afternoon.

matt_outandabout

Park at Lytham.

I have an in-law who lives there. She got us to remove the bikes on the car last time and put them in her garden where we sat looking at them, as ‘the rough lot’ from Blackpool tend to spread their thieving out apparently…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just no. Had to go to the outskirts of Blackpool a while back, thought we’d make a day (evening) of it by going out to dinner in the town.

Won’t be making that mistake again.

To be fair I have enjoyed doing a half marathon up and down the prom followed by a Chinese lunch. But that was Sunday morning when the local life is mostly either passed out or perhaps still in the cells from the previous night.

chestrockwell

Just park on the road at the far end of the pleasure beach? That’s where we did last time we had a trip over.

RustySpanner

I’m not in the habit of slagging off places just for the sake of it and as a proper working class scumbag there are many, many economically deprived  towns that are friendly,  safe, pleasant and well worth a visit.

Blackpool is not one of them.

I’ve worked in forensic mental health for many years now. Don’t go to Blackpool, Rhyll, Barrow or Rochdale.

keefezza
    Free Member

It’s ride the lights tomorrow night, parking at the airport. Not sure if there’s a height restriction but that’s probably the best time to rise up through Blackpool.

mick_r

There is a separate bit of coast road heading north from Little Bispham (next to Anchorsholme park) that is quite wide and good to park on. Can’t remember if it is free or pay and display. North from there is moderately ok (for Blackpool) as long as you don’t venture too near Fleetwood. You can also enter/ leave using M55 jct3 and the A585 without venturing into the hell hole bits.

Pedalling south you get to admire the scenic beauty of Norbreck Castle…..

MSP

Blackpool, Rhyll, Barrow or Rochdale

Should have been a “if that’s the answer what is the question”  round on mock the week. Mine would be “name 4 places you are more likely to stand in runny dog shit than be smiled at by a person with all their teeth intact”.

ratherbeintobago

Rochdale

That could be problematic as I live there.

richardkennerley

The ride from starr gate to st.annes is now a cycle path, where that ends (at st.annes end) you can then divert onto the quieter road on the beach side, rather than busy clifton drive.

On street parking on prom around pleasure beach or the streets behind. Not sure what time restrictions there are at Morrisons or lidl on squires gate, they could be a good shout.

I don’t feel like I should be helpful seeing as you’re all so bloody negative about my home ?

dovebiker

You can park at the north end of St Annes on the seafront and I believe the pavement is a multi-use path (or certainly used to be) up to the South Parade – the only problem is that it frequently gets blown-over with sand from the dunes. I used to stay in Lytham or St Annes regularly and run along the beach or pavement up to Blackpool and back – I did try to get to the sea once at low tide and gave up after 3 km. I also once in-line skated from St Annes to Fleetwood and back, just for the giggles – weaving through the holiday makers was at times challenging.

richardkennerley

Also plenty of on street parking around Stanley park, north park drive etc. probably get on newton drive somewhere, that’s a short ride to the centre of town.

ratherbeintobago

@keefezza That’s why we were going. Weather was appalling but riding along the closed prom was good fun.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.