Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Bird Box
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Watched this last night and very much enjoyed it.
    Good concept well executed with a competent cast. Including the very lovely
    Ms. Bullock and the excellent Mr. Malkovich.
    7/10 from the Starships.

nickc

Yeah enjoyed it, a little different from the normal run of the mill zombie/monster/apocalypse movie genre (That seems oddly popular with filmmakers at the minute)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No spoilers please. I’ll be watching tonight after the pub. Or maybe before would be more sensible.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent, seems very ‘Marmite’.

Lots of comparisons with ‘A Quiet Place’ but it’s only superficially similar.

DezB
    Free Member

The bit with Tom Hollander in the house and the births was fantastic.
    Couple of bits were just silly.

Spoiler:
    Driving a car with just a satnav? Yeah right! Negotiating rapids without seeing. Yeah right!

Overall it was ok I thought.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Mrs_D says it’s very good. On that recommendation I think i’ll Give it a miss

nickc

No spoilers please

I get the sentiment, but how about not clicking on a thread discussing it?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I get the sentiment, but how about not clicking on a thread discussing it?

Then how would we ever know if it’s worth watching? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought it was ok. Not at the level of A Quiet Place but an interesting concept. It’s about as much supernature as I can take in a post apocalyptic movie. Certainly worth a watch if you’re a subscriber.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ten in and it’s scuffle time.

FFS.

plus-one

I thought it was mediocre at best

nickc

Then how would we ever know if it’s worth watching?

Make your own mind up about it? 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Make your own mind up about it

What a concept!

DrP

I initially thought i enjoyed it and it was good…
    ..but the more i thought, the more i started picking HUGE holes in it..!

Agree with Dez on the driving bit. And they survived 5 years WITHOUT any form of tech being developed to allow them to ‘see’.
    And what’s with the kids names? No matter how mad or heartless you are, you wouldn’t just do that!

DrP

rene59
    Free Member

Bird Box and The Quiet Place were both full of major plot holes. Acting was decent enough and the films both looked ok but not enough to save it from the shite plot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought it was daft.
    ‘we must keep our blindfolds on but I’ll steer the boat ok’

derek_starship
    Free Member

I thought it was daft.
    ‘we must keep our blindfolds on but I’ll steer the boat ok’

S P O I L E R A L E R T

nickc

To be fair, she doesn’t do that well on the ‘ole “steering a boat while blindfolded” trick ….

legend
    Free Member

Yeah she does have a few issues that were worth the edit.
    I reckon the sat nav bit isn’t too daft. Getting right to the front door though….

EDIT: and back up the drive and into the garage

jekkyl

Yes John Malkovich was great. Love him as a nasty type.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

To be fair, she doesn’t do that well on the ‘ole “steering a boat while blindfolded” trick ….

I think they did very well just getting in it with blindfolds on!

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon the sat nav bit isn’t too daft. Getting right to the front door though….

EDIT: and back up the drive and into the garage

Well, I do believe that was all part of the bloody journey! Course it was daft.

And if you put ‘spoiler’ in square brackets, you can HIDE SPOILERS!

timba
    Free Member

We watched it a couple of nights ago. It was okay…

superstu
    Free Member

I thought it was alright, fairly solid. However the book is excellent and superior…few bits in the film were either dumbed down or missed out completely.

Scapegoat

Too much missing for my liking. Mediocr
    e at best with a few good bits.

plus-one

I was also wondering throughout how much Sandra Bullock paid for Michael Jackson’s nose !!

myti
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty terrible. A five maybe. Quiet place was much better.

CHB

It was OK, but the ending was poor. Felt unfinished.

takisawa2

It was ok.
    Can’t say much more than that…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Utterly pointless nonsense. Worst film I’ve been forced to watch since The Lobster. I would have thought an actor of Malkovich’s quality would have thrown the script in the bin but I guess everyone needs to pay the bills. The premise was stupid and the execution turgid

CountZero

Utterly pointless nonsense. Worst film I’ve been forced to watch since The Lobster. I would have thought an actor of Malkovich’s quality would have thrown the script in the bin but I guess everyone needs to pay the bills. The premise was stupid and the execution turgid

You are Mark Kermode and I claim my £5!

dmorts

The best bit for me was the ending. As then I could go to bed and never have to watch the film again

CountZero

I must admit when I saw the thread title I imagined it was someone looking for advice on suitable bird nesting boxes for the garden.
    Is disappoint.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

LOTS OF SPOILERS SO If YOU READ IT DON’T WINGE I SPOILED IT

Terrible, terrible film. So many things that didn’t make sense or went unexplained.

I kind of expected we would never find out what ‘it’ was so I can get over that even if it was pretty annoying to not have any hint of an explanation, except for some scenes of the wind blowing some leaves about.

There was never really any explanation as to why some people were immune to the suicide bit? They sort of alluded to them having mental problems but never confirmed. Then on top of that WHY was the english guy suddenly so much cleverer than the other baddies? Also why did he suddenly kill someone? I thought the point of them was that they wanted everyone to see?! But then at one point he just diverts from that and tried to kill someone.

But the thing that wound me up worst was the end! Here you go kids, go play with all the other kids.NO! They have never seen another person in their lives, let alone another kid, they don’t know how to play with other kids, they don’t know what to do. They are terrified of all these other people, how do they trust them, how do they know they are good people and not baddies?! And Oh OK, we’ll just live happily ever after in this random tiny blind asylum in the middle of the woods with loads (far too many) other people!

Nice idea, terrible film.

rone

There was never really any explanation as to why some people were immune to the suicide bit? They sort of alluded to them having mental problems but never confirmed.

You’re digging for plot holes – but simply those that were criminally insane were immune on the basis they would further the ‘monsters’ aims of wiping out the planet. So were spared.

DrJ

Of course it was daft – it wasn’t a documentary ffs. But we enjoyed it at Chateau J.

Haze

Just watched it, dog shit

senorj

I watched it last night.
    6/10 . I was up all night though……
    Worrying about that glass roof.

tinribz
    Free Member

Marxist propaganda.

There was never really any explanation as to why some people were immune to the suicide bit?

Was vaguely explained as just the criminally insane but strangely enough only appeared to affect white men (OK one white woman too). Conversely all non-white characters are parodies of empathetic virtue willingly sacrifice their lives for the greater good.

And Oh OK, we’ll just live happily ever after in this random tiny blind asylum.

You mean the diversity garden of Eden? Keep you binkers tight on your journey to that oh and white men are bad, is the not so subliminal message of the film.

andylc
    Free Member

Moderately enjoyable if daft, but the ending is up there with the worst I’ve ever seen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Bird Box’ is closed to new replies.