Home Forums Chat Forum {bing bong} Hello! My name is elder Price

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • {bing bong} Hello! My name is elder Price
    RustyNissanPrairie

And I would like to share with you
    The most amazing book……

{Bing bong} Hello!

Watched The Book of Mormon last night at Manchester’s Palace theatre with MrsRNP. Had a great night but more importantly for anyone else who has seen it – that opening song is now your earworm for the rest of the day!

{Bing bong} Hello!

Kramer
    Free Member

Are people still performatively walking out when it starts to get “offensive”?

chrispoffer

I saw it years ago in London – and from what I remember it was completely hilarious and amazingly offensive pretty much all the way through.  Not sure at what point you’d decide that it was too much and walk?

zilog6128

I saw it years ago in London – and from what I remember it was completely hilarious and amazingly offensive pretty much all the way through.

yeah same. Although I can’t actually remember any specifics so maybe time I saw it again! No-one walked out though.

Kramer
    Free Member

I also saw it years ago in London, and found it both hilarious and offensive to the point that the offence was part of the hilarity.

Even so, when I saw it, people got up and walked out at various points, and at the time it felt like they’d almost come deliberately to be offended.

doomanic

it felt like they’d almost come deliberately to be offended.

Hi, welcome to the 21st century, you must be new here.

Kahurangi

We saw it last year in that London and we laughed all the way, it’s a masterpiece.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Are people still performatively walking out when it starts to get “offensive”?

I love crude and offensive humour but I hated the Book of Mormon. It was offensive without wit. It seemed like everyone around us was essentially a closet racist and was seeing their secret views played out to their hilarity, or they’d never heard an offensive joke before and so were losing their minds over it. My wife didn’t get it either. It’s essentially Cards Against Humanity – offensiveness for people who don’t normally make offensive jokes but would like to.

What doesn’t really come across in all the fervour for it, and the fact that it’s poking fun at Mormons, is that it’s got some really offensive racial stereotypes of black Africans all the way through. We weren’t expecting that and were pretty appalled by it.

zilog6128

is that it’s got some really offensive racial stereotypes of black Africans all the way through. We weren’t expecting that and were pretty appalled by it.

this is part of the satire, I am sure. The things Mormons preach about skin colour is/was extremely backwards, and we (the audience) are experiencing the show through the eyes of Mormons…

regardless, I believe they have toned down this element post-pandemic, as there were complaints from cast members. The guys behind TBOM (and South Park) obviously like to be extremely offensive but I believe they are good guys and not racist. You could probably even say they’re “woke” (although they like to poke fun at those who are too woke/professionally offended, obviously :) )

supernova

I saw it recently in London and laughed all the way through. I think they rewrote it a bit during Covid to address some of the African stereotype concerns after the cast complained.
    I’m not one for West End shows but Book of Mormon was well worth it.

MoreCashThanDash

that opening song is now your earworm for the rest of the day!

No it’s not…this is now on my playlist after seeing it ladt year

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.