Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Biking Cake Shop of the Year Contender?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Blair Atholl Watermill has to be a contender.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Though the Inshriach Nursery Cakeshop is also up there

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hub at Glentress :mrgreen:

enduro-aid
    Free Member

another one for the hub at glentress

and more specifically the flapjacks!! they are huge and amazing i could build a house out of them!

mema
    Free Member

1+ for Inshriach Nursery Cakeshop!

loup
    Free Member

Conwy Falls cafe at the turn off for Penmachno from the A5 – very scrummy cake and friendly staff…. 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trail centre cakes are a bit like their trails, Bland and predictable.

headfirst
    Free Member

A recent discovery for me is Bank Side Cafe in Langsett, Yorkshire. Made an 'emergency mid-ride stop' (went out on ride under-fuelled) for tea and a cherry scone with plenty of butter and jam, and a big slab of flapjack for the back pocket which was very tasty. Very bike friendly with a range of biking essentials (tubes, lights, tools) behind the counter for sale too. CTC members get a 10% discount as well. No pics unfortunately.

solar
    Free Member

Mountain Cafe in Aviemore! Best cakes and selection I've seen.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I have just amended a route we're doing around Rothiemurchus this summer to include a stop at Inshriach Nursery cake shop – hope it's worth it!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre. Brenda's cakes are almost as good as my Mums, so therefore endeth the thread.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

eckinspain, Its even possible to ride a downill almost to the door!

eckinspain
    Free Member

eckinspain, Its even possible to ride a downill almost to the door!

WOO-HOO!

actually, do you know if there is a direct path to the shop from Loch An Eilein? Looking at Google maps it looks like we'll have to head SW from the loch and then join the B970 futher down towards Dalnavert.

theotherjonv

Its even possible to ride a downill almost to the door!

That unfortunately says to me that it's uphill straight after the tea and cake stop. Which means in my book, docked 2 points.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

eckinspain – Member

I have just amended a route we're doing around Rothiemurchus this summer to include a stop at Inshriach Nursery cake shop – hope it's worth it!

I think it is – great cakes and the have a bird feeding/ viewing station right outside the window so you get to see loads of great tits ( and sparrows and chaffinches and so on)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sorry but for Aviemore, the Ord Ban at Rothiemurcus does it for me. About the best cakes ever, anywhere let alone convenient for biking

ononeorange

+1 for Brenda's cakes at Dales MBC. Her carrot cake can crush any contender for the crown.

lcj

Surrey is ruled by Peaslake Stores for sheer variety of foodstuffs in such a small space. The Rocky Road is awesome, as are the Chocolate Fudge bricks that occasionally appear.

neninja
    Free Member

The cakes at the Parkhead cafe on the Waskerley Way are excellent allegedly.

enfht
    Free Member

iCake in Staines

eckinspain
    Free Member

Sorry but for Aviemore, the Ord Ban at Rothiemurcus does it for me. About the best cakes ever, anywhere let alone convenient for biking

Jeez, this route could take a while if we stop at all of them.

CaptainMainwaring, would you be able to send me the exact location of it? Is this right?

farmer-giles
    Free Member

can bland cakes be improved by fit waitresses?

warton
    Free Member

If you've been to the National Trust cafe in Edale you will know the answer is YES. don't know if they're still there but I was there last summer, I nearly stayed all day and got the train back to the car

eckinspain
    Free Member

Rothiemurchus has Streetview!

Is Ord Ban in here somewhere?

and across the road, whose car is this?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Eck, there is a wee trail from Loch an Eillan, I dont have the map, but it starts as singletrack and climbs a little till it joins a fire road, follow it until it hits the road perhaps a hundred yards south of the cake shop. There is an easier climb back up again heading towards Aviemore and turning back on yourself at a big green shed. You have to lift your bike over a couple of deer fences, but its an easy spin back up to the loch.

Gooner
    Free Member

Floria cafe in the alps between flegere and chamonix

always worth a stop even though it not strictly on a biking trail now!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

Nowhere in France can be included. THEY CANNOT MAKE TEA THERE!!!!!!

pointless having lush cake if you cannot wash it down with propper rosie lee ……ITS THE LAW

eckinspain
    Free Member

thanks mcmoonter.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have to say Peaslake too Lemon Fudge cake is a wonder and they do a quality cuppa, quite apart form the fact that they feed my dog tidbits from the deli..

I went to a salon de the in france and they made a great cuppa, no milk and sweet just like it should be.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sneaking in a self-promotional (I baked the cake!) post:

Recipe here: Cake Page

woody2000

The cakes at Coffee Cali in Hebden Bridge are always pretty good. I'm especially fond of their tiffin 🙂

DavidM
    Free Member

Sorry guys, but it is definately the cafe at Achnasellach station

Plus the trails are pretty good too

The one in the farm at Patterdale is one of my favourites aswell. God I love tea shops.

druidh
    Free Member

I don't understand. Inshriach has already been mentioned, so why has the thread carried on?

geoffj

Mountain Cafe in Aviemore! Best cakes and selection I've seen.

+1

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Never had cake in the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore.

However, if we were to start a "best all-day breakfast" thread…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

No pics but the cafe at Chessell Pottery on the Isle of Wight does amazing squares of bread pudding dished out by winsome darlingbud serving wenches. Mmm!

grumm
    Free Member

DavidM – what route were you doing? Looks incredible!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think Brookside at Bovey Tracy should certainly get a mention for the cream teas there. The cream is so organic, that the manager knows the cows, and it changes depending on if the cows have been outside in the summer or inside in the winter.

But that cake in the OP really does look like a triumph of cake technology.

Chesters by the River, Skelwith Bridge, Ambleside
    B100dy good cakes!

They also own The Drunken Duck, home of Barngates Brewery
    B100dy good beer!!

amodicumofgnar

Another vote for Dales Bike Centre. Cant remember the name of it but had good cakes in a tea room in Dent.

If you've been to the National Trust cafe in Edale you will know the answer is YES. don't know if they're still there but I was there last summer, I nearly stayed all day and got the train back to the car

but what if she bakes the cakes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Biking Cake Shop of the Year Contender?’ is closed to new replies.