Home Forums Bike Forum Bikes in an estate

• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by jonba.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bikes in an estate
  • bgreenback
    Free Member

Hoping someone has tried this and can advise…

My friend and I are flying into Geneva soon and need to sort a hire car. We’ll have 2 standard Evoc bike bags and a single large suitcase between us. I’m trying to get a hire car as cheap as possible for the 5 days that we’re there and I’ve seen a good deal on a Skoda Octavia Combi. Does anyone please know, will that fit 2 bike bags and a suitcase with all the seats down?

Cheers

andrewh
    Free Member

I had this last time i flew to Europe, Portugal in this case.
    A little Fiat van (Belringo sized thing) was the cheapest option, cheaper than any estate car and loads of room. Check the vans too

uniqueusername

Given we fit two evoc bike bags and suitcase in our fabia estate (2011) I’d assume there would be no issue with an Octavia

5lab
    Free Member

Should do, I can get a normal bag in the back of a prius (standard airport taxi), an Octavia should be taller and wider.

Worst case scenario if it doesn’t fit when you arrive just swap it for something bigger. It’ll be Octavia or similar anyway so no guarantee you’ll get that car

ji
    Free Member

It’ll be Octavia or similar anyway so no guarantee you’ll get that car

in my experience the hire car people’s idea of ‘or similar’ is not the same as mine!

uniqueusername

On the destination side (Spain/menorca) we always hire a Berlingo type thing

bgreenback
    Free Member

Thank you, would love a Berlingo but can’t find any. I did manage to get one at an airport  once, and I agree it was really cheap and works perfectly for two bikes.

Good to know about the Fabia, thank you

From what I can tell, the Combi is not the same as the normal Octavia…I assume it’s some sort of more compact estate.

enmac
    Free Member

I have a Skoda Octavia estate and I can get 2 EVOC bike bags in the back.  Looking at the Skoda website, the combi looks pretty similar to what I have.

kneed
    Free Member

What the hire car company tells you that you will get when you are booking: is only a guide. Almost guaranteed not the be exactly what you ‘booked’. When you actually turn up: it could well be a saloon where the rear seats dont fold etc.

bikesandboots

It should well be an estate if you’ve booked an estate.

“Or similar” IME is things like swapping a 1.4 Polo for a 1.0 Corsa, same class of car i.e. small non-premium.

mlltt

Just got back from the Alps and had a Skoda fabia, my bike bag laid in the back but I don’t think you’d get two on top of each other due to height.

Previously had a vauxhall mokka/equivalent and they could stand up side by side in that, had 3 people, 2 bike bags, 23kg case and 3 back packs in with no issues.

What I do is book something with free cancellation and then check nearer the time, normally can get some last minute deals

euain

I can get 2 evoc bags in my Octavia standing up with only 2/3 of the split back seat down. Meant I could take 2 passengers and a good bit of boot space left for the bags. If you’re not needing a back seat passenger, you should be good in an Octavia-sized estate.

snotrag

Combi is “estate car” in euro speak. You’ll get an Octavia estate or a Peugeot 308 estate, Opel Astra estate, Ford Focus estate etc..

bgreenback
    Free Member

Thank you. Booked the Octavia Combi and hoping they dont decide to swap it for a Fiat 500

jonba
    Free Member

Should be fine. I’ve managed two bike bags and two suitcases for two of us in a Ford Focus.

It required some creativity but I’ve also managed the same plus a third bike (no bag) in a polo!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.