Home Forums Bike Forum Bike travel bag for car

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike travel bag for car
    Ewan
    Free Member

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a travel bike for my (road) bike with both wheels off? I’m off to Provence in a couple of weeks and taking the bike. Don’t have a bike rack so planning on laying the bike in some kind of container on all our bags etc. We’re making our way down over a couple of days so would like something that holds the bike, lets me take it out, and carry it into a hotel room. It’ll be put in the back of a transit tourneo custom with the third row of seats flipped up, so the space is roughly the size of a very large estate boot (but much deeper obviously).

I don’t mind spending a bit (say 100 quid or so). I’ve seen a few ‘bags’ with no padding at all, but ideally i kinda want something that has a tiny bit of padding and lets me not have to take the bars off. A bit like a bike box but in fabric.

Any suggestions?

TheGingerOne

Old duvet is cheapest and easiest followed by a throw etc.

I use a Ground Effect bag. It doesn’t have any padding, but you don’t need it on a car unless you pack heavy and sharp things really badly!

lister

I use a new (and therefore clean) 1 tonne rubble bag from Jewsons (or similiar). That’s more to keep my muddy and oily bike off clean things but it works well and the thickness of the fabric is quick effective padding too.

honourablegeorge

Evoc do a handy sleeve for this, which is silly money, but regulatory shows up on SportPursuit for about 60% of, and it’s ideal, i use it all the time

honourablegeorge

Edit – there you go, not as big a reduction as usual, but….

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1635033

Kramer
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge, how small does that pack down?

a11y

You’re describing a Duffbag, but they’re long gone – I’ve got a couple of Duffbag Monsters that are basically big unpadded bags made from very robust material. Ideal for slinging bikes inside for travel in a vehicle/caravan or carrying into hotels.

Sorry, not sure what the current equivalent is.

servo
    Free Member

As above, a Duffbag Monster bag is what you want. I have one for my FS 29er and it is brilliant.

I tried to buy one for my wife’s bike (FS 27.5) and all I could get was an ebay cheapie for about £20 which does just about fit her bike.

You can see them on ebay. Lots of pictures of a guy with the bag on his shoulder in front of a train, plane etc.

Miss the Monster bag! Can’t understand why some one else doesn’t make them. Maybe they will just get copied and made in China.

honourablegeorge

KramerFree Member

@honourablegeorge
    , how small does that pack down?

It foll sup reasonably small, has exterior straps and hooks that allow you to compact it, there’s a slightly bulk foam bit inside for the BB to rest on.

Will toll mine up and take a pic later if I can

Ewan
    Free Member

Thanks all – that Scion thing looks best. I think probably the triathlon plus as it’s built for tribars so should take my large ribble SLR. Apparently the standard road bike one does. I looked at the MTB one in case that’d do both types of bike, but evidentially my Bird Aeris is hilariously large as it’s other 35cm too long in one of the dimensions!

Kramer
    Free Member

Will toll mine up and take a pic later if I can

Thanks. With a banana for scale?

Kramer
    Free Member

I use a Ground Effect bag

I’ve got one of those for hybrid train journeys where for some legs the bike needs to be packed in a bag. It’s good but still quite bulky when packed down.

jonba
    Free Member

Look for a cheap used bike bag on facebook market place?  Planet X, DHB etc.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Made my own based on the Duff Bag.  As my bikes got larger even the Monster Bag wasn’t big enough.  I need to make another bag as I have moved to an XL 29’r now and the one I made is now a little snug on the fork side of things.  I have done a few and they are not difficult to do.  I have gone overboard on binding seams and making mine as bombproof as possible though which takes a bit longer to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.