Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bike Skills Course – where are the good ones?
  • dadster21
    Free Member

I am looking into taking myself and a few mates on a skills training course. We are all fairly competent – White’s level, Skyline, etc. Most of our riding is fairly XC based but want to mix it up with some more intermediate – advanced skills to get confidence on bigger stuff (including – Air!). Anyone had any experience with going on a skills course? What are the good ones? Looking at 1 – 3 days (perhaps with a guided ride thrown in). Cheers.

akira

Jedi at Herts, look for UK Bike Skills.

_tom_
    Free Member

Tony/UK Bike Skills is the standard answer for a reason 🙂 Brilliant teacher and the facilities at Herts Shore are ideal for the way he teaches.

dadster21
    Free Member

Cool – thanks for the advice. Will check it out. Does he do rocks?

phil56

you might want to check out Great Rock as well – Alpine Prep course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cyclewise at Whinlatter are great

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have done three skills sessions over the years, the first two were ok, they said the right things, but the information never really stuck.
    After a day with jedi last month I really feel a difference. The venue is perfect for stripping back to the basics and correcting mistakes you may have had for years. Tony is a great coach and his enthusiasm is infectious, he clearly loves having fun on bikes!

It has been said many times before, but this really is a great upgrade and I can’t wait to get back on my bike each time, I have that new bike feeling, but it’s me not the bike! If you can, go with jedi, but bare in mind he is very busy-for a reason.

grantway
    Free Member

A couple of my mates have done skills days at Jedi’s found it very good.

LeeW

Sandy Plently does them too at Eastridge in Shropshire, I’ve mine booked up for a couple of weeks time.

Heard loads of good reviews from people who’ve been on one.

toys19
    Free Member

Jedi. Awesome.

scant
    Free Member

Cwmride.co.uk in & around cwmcarn area.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

1 and 2 day courses, one to one tuition at no extra £, free bunkhouse.

jedi

thanks for the kind words guys 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m off to see jedi on 18th august, excited! 😀

mrsconsequence was getting air of loadsa little things on the trails yesterday i didnt even spot thanks to mr jedi.

jedi

i’m looking forward to meeting you phil too 🙂

akira

Jealous as mate Ian had second day with Jedi and now is styling it up on jumps, need to raise my game now!

Wookster

Yeah another vote for Jedi, that skills course with him has kept me alive for the last year and a bit on a bike!! The bloke is the puppies privates mate. Best bike spend I’ve ever made!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi – fantastic coach, fantastic setup at Herts – had me clearing a 9ft gap jump and styling in the air after a few hours!

winterfold
    Free Member

Jedi is so good even GRF can see it…

All other things being equal.

But his bikepark setup means you go from one feature to another in 30s rather than having to ride for some distance to do it. This makes a big difference to how much you learn and how quick you do it.

It’s worth the journey and a day off for sure.

druff
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi here.

I’ve done both his singletrack and jumps and drops courses, and followed up with a 1-2-1 coaching session with him. I’ve worked with some fantastic coaches before (not sport related though) and was, and continue to be, blown away by Tony’s natural ability to determine the best way to implant the knowledge necessary for me to improve.

I cannot recommend a visit to him enough.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi.
    Did a group and a 1-2-1, will definately be going back for another session.

jedi

akira, are you talking of ian from cakeriders?
    thanks again for your kind words and guys/gals 🙂

5lab

out of interest, has anyone who doesn’t struggle with tech trails been on a skills course?

I’m not the fastest, or most graceful rider, but I’m perfectly happy to ride down any trail\techy section pretty much anywhere (completely comfortable riding down double blacks – the only thing i struggle with are very large (>25′ long, >8′ tall) high speed jumps such as crabapple hits). so I don’t *need* to improve – however, I’m sure there’s stuff that I could re-learn or improve on. Has anyone else in my sorta position done a skills course? They seem mostly to be based on ‘getting air for the first time’ or ‘how to ride down drops’ which i’m already comfortable with

Bagstard
    Free Member

5lab, I’m comfortable on most things including some fairly big stuff, but it was all about cornering for me. Slowing down to speed up, improve flow etc. Trying to get rid of the bad habits I have had for years.

jedi

skills courses are not for everyone 5lab, i havent had one but i get bmx coaching. if i had someone who could teach me the way i learn i’d go with them

RayMazey
    Free Member
    Gravy
    Free Member

Jedi at Herts, look for UK Bike Skills.

bluebird
    Free Member

What Bagstard said for me too. It’s not that I can’t ride, but I could ride better.
    I’ve got a course on Monday, no idea what I’ll learn, but I’m really looking forward to finding out.

jedi

bluebird, i’ll be seeing you monday then 🙂

Northwind

5lab – Member

out of interest, has anyone who doesn’t struggle with tech trails been on a skills course?

I’m not the fastest, or most graceful rider, but I’m perfectly happy to ride down any trail\techy section pretty much anywhere (completely comfortable riding down double blacks – the only thing i struggle with are very large (>25′ long, >8′ tall) high speed jumps such as crabapple hits). so I don’t *need* to improve – however, I’m sure there’s stuff that I could re-learn or improve on. Has anyone else in my sorta position done a skills course? They seem mostly to be based on ‘getting air for the first time’ or ‘how to ride down drops’ which i’m already comfortable with

Yeah, I’m much like that, but I still got a fair amount out of my 2 Dirtschool days. The first wasn’t as good as it should have been as it was pitched a bit low (there were people on the course who shouldn’t have been, to be blunt, and the entire session got slightly dumbed down as a result). But the one to one session I did after that was definately worthwhile- picked out some weak spots, cemented some things I could do better but also some things I was doing right that I didn’t know i was doing, which I’ve been working on since.

Not the massive difference that some peope get, but worthwhile.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bike Skills Course – where are the good ones?’ is closed to new replies.