Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 269 total)
  • Loan Bike Returned Damaged – Did It Need Saying Beforehand?
  • imnotverygood

Iolo. Can I just say that you are coming across as particularly unpleasant on this thread. Just thought you”d like to know.

Bez

Why are we now talking about insurance, hr and legal obligations? Surely the unwritten rule of “break it, replace it” is just a convention. He has a moral obligation, of course, but no more than that.

Er… is that not obvious? It’s precisely because insurance etc isn’t just a convention. So in the case where you have a moral obligation but an apparent absence of the morals required in order for it to have any effect, a call to one or other of the protagonists’ insurers should hopefully see the OP sorted out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think iolo should post a picture of himself, with today’s paper and a fish to prove he’s real and not just an internet troll.

Bez

No, it should not need saying but depending on your assessment of the borrower’s character it might be prudent to.

But then again, with some people, even if it’s said up front, it’s soon forgotten once they’re asked to actually shoulder the responsibility of it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

cockwomble

I’ve only ever seen this word on this forum, why on earth do people use it?

scandal42
    Free Member

Because this forum is home to the last remaining colony of Cockwombles in the northern hemisphere.

davieg
    Free Member

OP- lots of good advice and a tough lessons learnt in hindsight, not that I expect that there will be a next time.

In the cold light of day, what is the extent of the damage and costs to put right? Is the shifter and frame still usable? Can they be tidied up along with some new bar tape? I’d take your bike to a trusted LBS and get their opinion.

If the event was part or fully sanctioned by your work, I’d speak with your boss and see what they can do to sort you out, after providing a favour to a “colleague”.

Presumably the borrower has shown no cockwomble tendencies previously, or you would not have lent to him? He has certainly demonstrated this now to you, his colleagues and manager, so I would not worry too much about him not speaking to you. His cards are marked and maybe he doesn’t care (sounds like it), but no one at work will ever do him a favour again.

A payment plan, would you ever see it? Life’s too short. Tell him what you think, the damage he has cost and shut him out. Karma will catch up with him soon and possibly some bombers too. Does he ever remove his shoes at work? 🙂

Bez

I’ve only ever seen this word on this forum, why on earth do people use it?

Because it means something. It’s a thing that words do 😉 What would you prefer? Arsecandle? Bumcrumble? Dangleberry? Doglobber?

scandal42
    Free Member

I prefer ‘****’

Bez

Well, don’t we all.

sbob
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

I’ve only ever seen this word on this forum

I’ve seen it on T shirts.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well, don’t we all.

Not all.

BigJohn

There seems to be a bit of naivety about how much influence the OP’s employer might exert. If I were that employer I’d steer well clear of this particular minefield.

Unless…

…the bike was bought through a Cycle to Work scheme, and therefore is still the property of the OP’s employer and was lent out to another employee.

Which it just might well have been.

bartyp
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear about your experience, OP. Hope something gets resolved for you.

Years ago, I ‘lent’ a friend an old bike so he could use it as transport. I didn’t really expect or even want it back, but I was very disappointed when I learned his girlfriend had thrown it in a skip because it was ‘broken’. She’d done this while he was out one day, and all it needed was a bit of a service. It wasn’t a bad bike either. It wasn’t so much loosing it that upset me, more the lack of understanding it’s value and serviceability. And it was still, technically, my bike.

The reason I’d lent him the bike in the first place, was because the bike he’d lent to another friend had been stolen (the guy left it unlocked in the entrance of a busy supermarket). He, like me, never saw any recompense for our loss. Sometimes you just have to accept things and move on. Hopefully, other good things will happen to redress the balance.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Because it means something

Does it really, I thought it was just made up nonsense. like that extremely annoying ‘mahoosive’ thing people say round these parts.

scandal42
    Free Member

Because it means something

Does it really, I thought it was just made up nonsense. like that extremely annoying ‘mahoosive’ thing people say round these parts.

😥 People never say ‘mahoosive’ round my parts

northshoreniall

Good see the important issues are being considered – I personally prefer the use of the term fucknuckle 🙂

wwaswas

People never say ‘mahoosive’ round my parts

Maybe they do, but in conjunction with ‘disappointment’ 😉

13thfloormonk

…the bike was bought through a Cycle to Work scheme, and therefore is still the property of the OP’s employer and was lent out to another employee.

Danger! I think it’s a standard clause that the employee should take out any relevant insurance so highlighting the fact that the bike actually belongs to the employer, and that insurance *hasn’t* been taken out, isn’t likely to end well… 😕

Crappy situation, commiserations OP.

bearnecessities

Twatbandage – a ligament support applied for nothing other than attention-seeking.

ads678

Twatbandage – a ligament support applied for nothing other than attention-seeking

Could you put one of those round your* mahoosive cockwomble??

*royal ‘your’

perchypanther
    Free Member

bearnecessities

mahoosive cockwomble??

Uncle Bulge area?

iolo
    Free Member

If I’m wrong and the bike is definitely as described I sympathise with you op but it seems you’ll get your money. This thread went on forever without any evidence. Not even communication with the guy who broke the bike. Several posters have requested pictures that are now on the op’s phone. The longer he keeps them to himself then the more suspicious people become. Post the pics up op and I will feel your pain. I’m cynical and sometimes something just doesn’t feel right about this thread. I’m not the only one to suggest it but possibly I’m a bit too direct sometimes.
    There’s only one way to prove it and make me look like the arse that I possibly am.

northshoreniall

Yeah OP, prove to the random person on the internet your not lying!! go on, what are you hiding?

Bez

Does it really, I thought it was just made up nonsense

All words are made up. That’s how language works.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Now I’m conflicted. I suspect Iolo may be right, but also think he’s coming across as a cock. Life in the grey area is tough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the pic of iolo and the fish.

I’m the only one to have mentioned it, but i’m sure others want to see that proof too.

bearnecessities

I’ll defend iolo a bit here, he’s got a uniquely direct approach but I don’t think it’s ever facetious, just not a buttery smooth poster 🙂 – I’d be lying if I wasn’t wondering if this was a tall tale.

That’s a reflection of the trolly poly threads that crop up on here, rather than the OP though, of whom I know nothing.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the pic of iolo and the fish.

It’s the best I can do without going out and I’m too busy.

ads678

Maybe the OP is the borrower really and he’s damaged the alleged cockwombles bike?!?!? 😯

Burn em both just to make sure!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

All words are made up. That’s how language works.

asjALS GEHWJ eiji dqqwdqdc twice

cubist
    Free Member

The first time I heard the phrase Cockwomble it was in the first response sent to David Cameroons first tweet.

soobalias
    Free Member

Im content that iolo is a real person but i still want to see a pic of him with this ‘apparent’ fish.

beginning to suspect that its in a tin and we have all been duped.

oh, pics of the trashed bike or i wont sharpen my pitchfork

Bez

asjALS GEHWJ eiji dqqwdqdc twice

Yes, obviously when I said “that’s how language works”, the “in its entirety, with absolutely no other influences, criteria or considerations whatsoever” was implied.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon iolo is the borrowing cockwomble…

ferrals
    Free Member

I see no evidence whatsoever that that is a fish. The can would have been opened the other end. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that whoever it is is holding a vessel that at one point may have held a bit of fish

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

beginning to suspect that its in a tin and we have all been duped.

Schrödinger’s fish?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any can shown on this forum will only contain worms.

wombat

Uncle Bulge area

*applauds*

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Loan Bike Returned Damaged – Did It Need Saying Beforehand?’ is closed to new replies.