Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 269 total)
  • Loan Bike Returned Damaged – Did It Need Saying Beforehand?
  • simondbarnes

He sounds like a complete bellend 🙁

bruneep

and still no pics 😐

iainc

Still don’t understand why you lent a good carbon bike to a guy you don’t know that well….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sorry, shitty situ for you. lesson learned, but obviously at least most others in your office sided with you. The guy has obviously done himself no future favours from others and won no friends acting like he did. Put it down to experience and move on, hopefully he’ll get his comeuppance at some point.

imnotverygood

TBH, op, I don’t think that even if you had the conversation beforehand it would have made any difference to the result. You obviously lent the bike to a complete tool. Feel sorry for you, but it is something of an eye opener.

teethgrinder

Do you have any insurance that might cover this? Does work?

jamj1974

my apologies if I’ve been aggressive. That’s not my normal way. I was and still am quite stressed and utterly fed up. I’m not a huge contributor to this forum and I think I’ll go back to reading the odd thread now and again at most.
    Thanks again.

Don’t think you have been too aggressive tbh. Also, if that is the kind of behaviour he has shown when using your bike – he deserved some aggression and it would be no surprise if a little leaked out while you posting here. I think he deserves a smack to be honest. That kind of attitude towards your generosity is despicable. I wouldn’t care if he had savings. He should take out a loan to pay you back.

Poopscoop

Hey cyclepathologist,

Don’t take the comments to heart mate. Certainly don’t let it put you off posting on here that’s for sure.

Anyway, wow.

The guy sounds like a complete… I’d better not say! Lol

I would get the frame sorted now and go from there. Still feel for bad for you. I would genuinely feel sick too if I had, had the same misfortune.

How bad is the damage to the carbon, is it a deep scrape?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im surprised you didn’t try and brake his legs..
    Id keep on at the prick and get him to pay even if its monthly

honourablegeorge

iainc – Member
    Still don’t understand why you lent a good carbon bike to a guy you don’t know that well….

I’d expect someone working in an office with just 8 others, regardless of friendship, would have a bit of respect for a co-worker’s property, especially one who had done him a favour.

To have acted the way he did is exceptionally ignorant. The OP assumed he and his property would be treated with common courtesy – that’s presumably why he was ok to lend the bike. I’d do the same.

ctk
    Free Member

This is a work issue, he damaged your property at a work event. Don’t let it drop, cause a commotion again! Get a quote and give it to him in work in front of colleagues/manager.

But do not resort to violence!

Bez

Because some people are generous and have faith in others? Sadly, occasionally a total cockwomble comes along and bites them in the arse for it.

Poopscoop

Because some people are generous and have faith in others? Sadly, occasionally a total cockwomble comes along and bites them in the arse for it.

Absolutely my thoughts.

iolo
    Free Member

Where’s the pictures? Everyone is doubting this ever happened until we see some evidence.
    Otherwise, well done OP for an excellent troll for sympathy.

njee20
    Free Member

Where’s the pictures? Everyone is doubting this ever happened until we see some evidence.

Are they?! 😯

iolo
    Free Member

ok, not everyone 😆 Well I am. Anyone else?

jekkyl

If he pays you in dribs and drabs you’ll never get it back. Give him a figure and set him a date, cash advance from a Cc or a small loan or borrow off mum n dad…. Whatever just make it clear that paying it off you bit by bit is not acceptable at all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Are they?!

Oh come on; it’s perfect trolling!

cinnamon_girl

That is shocking behaviour. Tell him to either go to his bank for a loan or borrow money from elsewhere, regardless you should not be out of pocket. Actually put it in writing and personally hand over the letter with him signing to acknowledge receipt. He needs to see that you mean business and paying off a few quid here and there is not acceptable.

DanW
    Free Member

If someone describes themselves as “a bit of a tool” then there’s a pretty good change they are a complete jebend!

Sounds like peer pressure at work may be the way to get this resolved especially if the charity event had any connection with work

scandal42
    Free Member

The bloke sounds like a total dick, His attitude alone would be enough to ensure that I never let it drop.

What a cock

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thank you for the kind comments but please be assured, I wasn’t looking for sympathy. I’d made a very bad decision but I won’t do it again. I didn’t think for a moment that agreement beforehand would be needed. I absolutely assumed it was a given.
    I have photographs on my phone but believe me, they don’t need to be validated that my bike is in a very poor state.
    Make of this what you will. It makes no difference to me nor the position either I nor the person who currently doesn’t seem to be speaking to me (at no great loss to me) find ourselves in.

iainc

given this was kind of work related, is there merit in you speaking to your boss /HR and asking them to assist your case ?

ads678

Get a quote to repair/replace and let the nob head and your boss see it, then if he can’t give you any money in a lump some, see if you can arrange monthly payments through work i.e. out of his wages each month, this way you’ll actually get the money back. Or see if work will pay up and take the money off him monthly. You obviously lent him the bike for a work arranged event so they should take some responsibility.

DO NOT let this go, he needs to learn his lesson as he’s probably done this to other people (probably not bikes) and got away with it.

scandal42
    Free Member

I love it how this bloke has trashed your bike and now isn’t speaking to you 😕

This chap is on another planet.

stevied
    Free Member

This chap is on another planet.

theotherjonv

Ask for his plan for repayment; there’s no way you should have to stump up and offer him a long term interest free loan just because he behaved like a dick.

If he isn’t forthcoming, take it to management. They might say it’s nothing to do with them, and they’re probably right, but decent people managers would broker a solution. If it was my work I’d offer that work would pay for the damage as it was a work organised event, and then collect it back off him from salary if needs be.

wwaswas

Not a good position to be in – you don’t want to be seen to be souring working relationships but only contact is through the workplace.

I’d get a formal written quote for what needs doing from a bike shop (he can’t argue) present it to him (with witnesses) and say you want the money within 4 weeks (or the next time you get paid).

Talk to your boss and explain what you’ve done and that you understand that it’s delicate but you thought you were doing someone a favour and don’t want to be out of pocket due to the way he behaved on the day.

IF he’s not paid when you said then I’d talk to your boss and say you have no choice but to go through small claims unless the company feels it can get involved due to it being a company organised event and they may be able to influence his behaviour.

mrhoppy

He should be able to claim on his house insurance I’d have thought.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why are we now talking about insurance, hr and legal obligations? Surely the unwritten rule of “break it, replace it” is just a convention. He has a moral obligation, of course, but no more than that. That is the danger of lending stuff to mates and colleagues.

chakaping
    Free Member

Erm, so did I miss the bit where you told us how the lending came about in the first place?

And +1 to this…

If he pays you in dribs and drabs you’ll never get it back. Give him a figure and set him a date, cash advance from a Cc or a small loan or borrow off mum n dad.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

This didn’t happen, did it?

*waits for pictures taken off google image search*

mrhoppy

Because nobhead that borrowed it is claiming not to be able to pay it back.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

He has a moral obligation

Wouldn’t expect someone who treated someone else’s property like that to have decent morals. It’s all well and good to be “it’s just “stuff”, mellow out maaan”, but people seem to conveniently forget that value of said “stuff” is in the eye of the owner!

OP, if this is a job you want to stay in I’d pursue a quiet word with the manager like others have suggested before taking a more aggressive route. Remember, your career over time is probably worth more cumulatively than the bike costs.

iolo
    Free Member

Lol at bongohoohea.
    Go on, op, indulge us. Stick them up.

amedias
    Free Member

where has all this doubt and suspicion about it not being real come from?

Gary_M
    Free Member

OP this isn’t the Giant you were getting on cycle to work is it?

mudshark
    Free Member

Maybe that’s the answer – he gets a bike on cycle to work then gives it to the OP

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Gotta say I find it kind of pathetic that some feel the need to question the honesty of the OP. He started the thread with a simple question. Why some feel the need to accuse him of lying or making it up is beyond me.
    When people start asking advice on what bike to get should we demand images of bank account details or piles of money to prove they can actually afford to buy one?

Anyway… OP I would also assumed the break it you buy it rule. In life there are people who are kind, generous and helpful and then there are selfish people who take advantage of them. You’ve just proved yourself the former and your colleague the latter. I think the word cockwomble was mentioned. Seems about as accurate as you can get. I feel your pain. Its an expensive lesson but a lesson never the less.

Kahurangi

I don’t get all the aggro going OP’s direction, get a life you lot.

The great loss here is that the OP has been burned by this cockwomble and will be very reluctant to lend or share in future (and go back to lurking, which is a shame).

To answer the opening question. No, it should not need saying but depending on your assessment of the borrower’s character it might be prudent to. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Loan Bike Returned Damaged – Did It Need Saying Beforehand?’ is closed to new replies.