Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike Parking – Garage Layout
  • partyboy1101
    Free Member

I’ll be moving house shortly to one with an extra long single garage, which will give me lots of room to store bikes, have a tool bench, etc etc. Whilst I don’t want to give the pikeys any ideas I would greatly appreciate some ideas for sorting out my gear.

I currently need to store 5 bikes (2 road and 3 mountain) and am proposing to hang them on the wall, road bikes from the rear wheel and mtb’s from the front (so the for seals stay nice and moist).

Probably need to provision for another couple of bikes (I need a geared hardtail and would like a downhill bike!!).

If it’s not too risky I’d like to see other people’s ‘tidy’ garage bike storage.

PS Any hot tips for bike hanging hooks?

hilton83
    Free Member

Im in the same boat, currently live on the top (6th floor) of an appartment building, and have just bought my first house. A garage was absolute top of my list of prioritys and i really cant wait to move in in a few weeks time so i too will be interested to see some layouts, although i have had mine planned out in my mind for years!

I love a good “man cave” ! Going into mine will be 1 full susser, 1 hard tail, my home gym and my r/c cars and helicopter workbench with a vice, and some past racing memorabillia. Can not wait.

scaredypants

I have mine all down 1 wall. Not hanging, just resting on rear wheel and held “up” by a hook that the front wheel fits into

generic pack of hooks (B&Q, Aldi etc) – some came with about 2-3 inch hook that’s good for mtb and some thinner ones good for roadies

nbt

PS Any hot tips for bike hanging hooks?

Local Asda in Hyde are doing Bell CYcle hooks (pack of 2) for a quid

partyboy1101
    Free Member

I’m thinking about building a timber frame around the bike hanging space to hang kit on and probably a helmet shelf too

cp

Hooks – from Wickes

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/533792

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Scratchy rims cp

druidh
    Free Member

My most posted photo?

Cheap plastic covered hooks from B&Q screwed in to roof timbers at 45 deg.

Bikes hung alternately to maximise space.

Enough space underneath the bikes for additional storage.

coastkid
    Free Member

Hang em high!, hang them up from hooks, Motorcycle ground anchor and long Abus lock ()expensive but cheaper than new bikes) through the frames, scrap and old frames in loft rafters, used wood to make a frame in anglebar for screw in hooks, got mine from screwfix but i dont know if they still do them 🙂

Storage by coastkid71, on Flickr

hilton83
    Free Member

Coastkid that is a damn fine man shed

partyboy1101
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Nice example in this months mag too

PaulD
    Free Member

coastkid,

Lovely set-up, but I would use a 13mm link nylon-sleeved chain with a super padlock to secure that lot to the ground anchor.
    It would take 2 angle-grinder wheels to cut it and approx 10 very noisy minutes.
    Also, I do not keep any power tools in the same room.
    I know it’s a lot of trouble, but replacement is not on my agenda.

fruitbat

I have 3 bikes up on the walls of the bat-cave. I used some perforated square channel (a bit like dexion) for the bike racks.

coastkid
    Free Member

Good Bikes are kept “in house” :mrgreen:

Vortexracing

here is mine

garage c by eastham_david, on Flickr

cp

Scratchy rims cp

nope. used for over a year to no ill effects. They have a very thick powdercoat to them & don’t leave any marks.

some lush set ups there! Vortex has more work surface and cabinet space than my kitchen!!

triple_s

Hooks came from Halfords, £3 each…must tidy garage!

DSC01444 by singlespeedsteve, on Flickr

DT78
    Free Member

I get so jealous when these sort of threads pop-up 🙁

Mantastic
    Free Member

Coastkid, it looks like you don’t have space for anymore, plenty space at mine if you need to store any new bikes

coastkid
    Free Member

Mantastic, doubt i will get a 5″ hook for the ML when it arrives but theres enough space still in the living room :mrgreen:

I have a mate in a 1 bedroom flat with 15 bikes!, coffee table is packed underneath with cycling mags from 1980s, road frames on walls, there is a 3 seater and tv in Living room and 3 walls of bikes! 🙂

TiRed

druidh – that’s my garage 😉 . Only difference is that I hang a tandem from one hook. I also have five more that are not hung up. If access is OK, then hanging is no big deal. I hang my commuter up daily, whilst the kids bikes stay on the ground.

clump
    Free Member

http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/bicycle-display-storage-units?product_id=209
    add a length or two of scafold
    http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube.htm
    some rawl bolts and your imagination. You’ll be amazed with what you can come up with.
    Would post a pic or 2 of my efforts but I’m at work.

And if you want garage insiration check out the gallery here http://garagejournal.com/ 12 gauge is worth a look and 44bikes

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike Parking – Garage Layout’ is closed to new replies.