• This topic has 81 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Bike Park Wales – too much for an 11 year old?
  • igm

We’ve ridden in Les Gets (and loved it), our older done and I doing greens, blues and reds and my wife and younger son sticking to green and blue.

Glentress is also fun, Dalby is local and the red and blue normally get mixed to do the good bits with less riding in 11 year old legs.

Older son is happy jumping, I’m ok on little hops, but my wife and younger son tend to be wheels on the ground type riders.

Is BPW going to be all about jumps and drops, meaning the 15 year old loves it, I can just about get by, but my wife and 11 year old just feel phased out by it?

Anyone got any help for me?

kayak23

Nope.
    They’ll love it.
    Wheels can be on ground or off.
    There’s really something for everyone.

joebristol

They’ll be fine, the green and blues can all be done wheels on the ground just fine. If they’re up for slightly more tech then some reds might also be ok. Maybe avoid the likes of rim dinger / hot stepper / locomotion / roots manoeuvres. Vicious Valley might be a goer though potentially.

Loads of stuff to keep them busy for a day overall.

igm

Is there a long weekend there, or more a day at a time?

kayak23

Is there a long weekend there

If you can afford it 😳

igm

Indeed.  Particularly for 4

But travelling down from Yorkshire it’s a balance of travel costs versus riding costs.

weeksy

Yup fine. My lad went at 8 I think, deffo by 9.

Edit.
    Whyte T403

2018-09-03_04-35-23

I echo everyone’s comments; plenty of little rippers there this weekend having a ball.

igm

Thank you all.

We’ll book.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is full face mandatory there, even if pootling down a green ?

enigmas
    Free Member

Would highly recommend going midweek – pricing is less awful and you won’t have joeys trying to overtake you on a blue trail with their 180 mm gnar rig all day.

mahalo

each to their own, but if Dalby is your local there is no way on earth id make a 10hr round trip to ride BPW. Then again, if its uplift you’re after – there’s not a lot of other options, esp for the 11yr old.

weeksy

nope.

nickc

Last time I went there was a group of maybe six or so 4-5 year olds being taken down the green by a staff member. They all seemed to be having a blast

igm

We’re at Dalby most weekends.

Dalby is my local, but I’ve been riding it 20 years give or take and I like riding different places.

Uplift is good for younger riders because it means they’re less tired on the descents which just makes everything better (for the parents at least)

Kryton57

I was concerned about taking 13yo jnr on a 100mm hardtail to Afan. I’m sure he’ll be OK, although I may rent him a FS to add to his weekend experience.

VanHalen

you won’t have joeys trying to overtake you on a blue trail with their 180 mm gnar rig all day.

this hasnt ever happened to my wife/kids on our 3 visits BTW. 8 and 9 at the time of teh visits and they think its the best place ever – LOVED it.

bfw

We were at BPW last week with two 11 year olds. One is fine and the other is not into it but they both loved the Blue’s. Expensive yes, worth it, Hell Yes!

PS we went to Afan pre-lockdown #1 when they were 8/9 during Oct half-term and rode four days solid. On White’s Level they were the only people under 40 not on e-bikes 🙂

Mugboo

Just out of interest, what is the green trail like?

I am taking the wife and 11 year old there in August, they are both capable of the blues but I don’t want to make the mistake of missing out on the green if its really fun.

The boy isn’t really into bikes but really enjoyed Glentress’s blues the other week (like most 11 yr olds he is lazy when it comes to climbing..)

VanHalen

the green is great for the kids and a decent 1st run warmup for them. i enjoy it when i ride it with teh kids. its easy but what would you expect

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

nope.

I guess I should have worded it, at what point is a Full Face mandatory? Or is it rider discretion?

I wish these places had interesting up hills built in to them. I quite actually like riding up hill !

chevychase

Tell you what about BPW tho – it’s shockingly expensive now for a full day.

weeksy

I guess I should have worded it, at what point is a Full Face mandatory? Or is it rider discretion?

I wish these places had interesting up hills built in to them. I quite actually like riding up hill !

Completely up to the rider. First time we went there a bunch of 4, then 5 then 3… all went past the cafe with full faces… then a few more… So me and my mate went in and bought one each.

When guiding the youngsters i was happy in a standard XC helmet. But anything more, i’m in a FF.

The Beast of Burden climb isn’t just fire road. It has a bit of trail too.

Did it a few times in just a normal lid inc all the blacks, back in the day

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/1y0k11]2022-04-23_12-12-02[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Broken jaw on singletrack in my local stomping ground pushed me towards FF – wouldn’t ride much of BPW without one now

igm

Can’t book.

Can’t make the website register me.

Can’t get the phones to pick up (closed apparently)

singlespeedstu

at what point is a Full Face mandatory?

This reminds me of the first time we went to Ffestiniog.
    Went to sign on and got asked if we’d been before.
    After answering no the guy went through the rules.
    “Reds are OK with an open face lid”
    “Blacks it’s mandatory to wear a full face but there’s no one at the top to stop you so do what you want”
    Kind of set the tone for the day.😀

Mugboo

@VanHalen thank you

joebristol

Personally I always wear a full face helmet anytime I’m on an uplift day. I’m attacking the trails without the fatigue from climbing to get to the top so I’m almost always going faster than normal. I like my teeth.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was thinking from the OP’s perspective, its a long way to go and expense to then be told you cant ride. (not that I know if they have full face or not)

Do I need body armour and a full face helmet?
    We strongly recommend the use of body armour, goggles and full face helmet

So not mandatory

igm

The 15 year old does (edit – a full face that is). He’s never actually worn it in anger.

We’ve been riding Les Gets for 10 years open face (I started with the now 15 one on a LOCT), he jumps and gets enduro coaching open face.

The younger one has broken a tooth crashing a bike, but that was a road bike, in fact they’ve both had worse crashes on their road bikes than on their MTBs.

I’m not against full face, I’ve just never found one that fits my odd shaped head.

zilog6128

Broken jaw on singletrack in my local stomping ground pushed me towards FF – wouldn’t ride much of BPW without one now

the scariest crash I had @ BPW was when sessioning one of the blues, trying to push it faster & faster each time… pushed it a little too far, did a proper Superman, landed on my face at warp speed & skidded along the ground. Was absolutely fine fortunately but shudder imagining the trip to the dentist had I not been wearing a FF! 😃
    Taken a few tumbles on reds/blacks but I never ride those fast enough to find them scary really!
    FF not mandatory on any runs @ BPW but IME the vast majority of people do wear them there.

My last trip to BPW a couple of years ago – was wearing a Bell Super 3R at the time, which saved my face, as my head smacked the ground pretty hard. This was on Norkle!!!

And yes, I was a tubs 2 years ago

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/MkA24u]2022-05-04_02-08-16[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/2fh3a7]2022-05-04_02-08-33[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

igm

Ok then.

Supplementary question – who does helmets that fit large but narrow heads?

Whenever I try a full face on, it’s too small over my forehead / front to back, but there’s loads of free space either side.

weeksy

It’s impossible to say fella, helmets are subjective.

Buy 5-6 from wiggle/CRC and hopefully keep 1.

Bluegrass for me

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

IGM.
    I had that problem when trying to book a month ago. Gave up and tried a day later and it worked.

I ride the blues and some reds in lycra and normal helmet. Also love climbing and aim to get around 2000m in. Found a couple of different ways up by following tyre tracks into the forest about halfway up the fire road climb.

VanHalen

ill be getting a fullface for the youngest for the next visit. she`ll be doing reds with me. otherwise the wife and eldest will be in half faces.

if i go with the lads its a full face job but i ride alot faster! if you are uplifting its a no brainer! if you are pushing it I’d recommend elbow pads that fit and dont move also. i’ve had some right nasty gravel rash crashing at BPW! (avoiding a mate who crashed infront!)

nickc

just for the opposing viewpoint: I don’t wear a FF at BPW to make me just reign it in a bit. It’s easy to get carried away and think that a FF is going to mean you can go that little bit faster, or take other “small risks” I’ve found the a FF can  really insulates you from your surroundings, so it’s easier to misjudge how fast you’re going.

An open face constantly reminds you that you’re exposed and you need to ride in your limits.

It’s personal choice though, and I think everyone needs to make that assessment

weeksy

just for the opposing viewpoint: I don’t wear a FF at BPW to make me just reign it in a bit. It’s easy to get carried away and think that a FF is going to mean you can go that little bit faster, or take other “small risks” I’ve found the a FF can really insulates you from your surroundings, so it’s easier to misjudge how fast you’re going.

An open face constantly reminds you that you’re exposed and you need to ride in your limits.

I don’t get that at all. in the same way i don’t ride slower without armour… i hit things at BPW the same either way… as hard as i can.

nickc

i hit things at BPW the same either way… as hard as i can.

Cool, other people have different skills that they want to improve on or develop other than just speed or aggressiveness

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.