Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike on Virgin Train – not moaning
  • Flash
    Free Member

A bit of advice please?

I'm off to London on a Virgin Intercity on Saturday, the bike's booked and even has it's own ticket, as it will be 6.00am and Stockport I'm guessing rail staff will be thin on the ground to ask advice/help.

Where do I put the bike, and any other advice, I take it I need a lock?

Cheers

simon1975

When the train pulls in, look out for whichever door has got the blue bike sign on it (or next to it). You're not supposed to lock it to anything in case it needs to be moved in an emergency, so keep it in sight at station stops!

brakes
    Free Member

it'll go in a compartment at one end of the train, there is door which can only be opened by 'he who has the square key' who will most probably be on the train and should be expecting you
    [this may be the pendolino or one of the bigger trains – not sure which one you're on]

rootes1

Pendolino trains (not sure about voyager trains) have cycles spaces behind one of the cabs (std class end)

the cycle compartment can only be opened by a member of staff

IA

If it's in a guards van, lock it to itself at least.

A mate had a bike nicked off a train. The other bloke got on with a crap bike, then just got off with his nice bike. They dont' check your ticket matches your bike's when you get it off (Though they should).

Even though the whole thing was caught on CCTV there was no positive outcome.. 🙁

nbt

Aye, I took my bike on a virgin train, bike compartment was indeed at one end of the train, although on mine it wasn't locked at all so I locked the bike to the hook it was hanging from

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Virgin train guards are Taliban trained. You'll get about 90 seconds from the door opening to the door closing. Each time I've taken a bike on the train with them the cargo compartment has been in front of 1st class. Walking back through 1st class to the real people's seats caked in Glentress mud was fun (for me).
    They'll go ape at you if you lock it up so best if you can keep a low profile while on the train if you do.
    What you up to in London with your bike Flash?

rootes1

Each time I've taken a bike on the train with them the cargo compartment has been in front of 1st class

just go first class, if you get your ticket early enough you can make the extra up with free food and drink etc in the lounges and on the train..

example i went to Stoke for £54 std single, second time went 1st for £62 must have eaten £25 (at station prices) of food and drink plus the seats are comfier and there is not that sewage smell you get in STD.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

must have eaten £25 (at station prices)

You had a coffee and a mini Mars bar?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most trains its just a compartment behind the quiet coach.

Take a fairly long mini cable lock or something for peace of mind. Be prepared to shift the 6+ obnoxious **** who will be using the bike area as a place to drink a crate on the way too/from a rave/might out/nowhere.

rootes1

Be prepared to shift the 6+ obnoxious **** who will be using the bike area as a place to drink a crate on the way too/from a rave/might out/nowhere.

you obviously don't travel on virgin that often! the bike spaces on pendolinos are probably the only places where that doesn't happen as no people are allowed in! 😉

ps trains suck in general – spend a fortune on them as well… in time and money..

rootes1

must have eaten £25 (at station prices)
    You had a coffee and a mini Mars bar?

cooked breakfast on train + apple pie – plus two cakes and three tins of coke from lounge, plus two cups of tea and a glass of orange… christ knows how much all that would come to at station prices when it is not part of a 1st class ticket

Flash
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep am eye open for a blue sign on or near a door at the front, middle or back. 😆 I'm sure all will be clear when the train arrives.

What you up to in London with your bike Flash?

Off on the Tweed Run, moustache, tweed and Hendricks ready

northshoreniall

Even if in guard carriage keep eye at stops. Last year went from toon to London. Went to get bike at kings X and door wide open and all guards had pissed off. Put in complaint with no effect, glad I'd locked it, against guards advice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike on Virgin Train – not moaning’ is closed to new replies.