Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Bike not ugly enough? Got £2700 spare?
  • Northwind

This is probably actually a fantastic deal, if you are blind or insane
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/marin-wolf-ridge-9-29-full-suspension-bike-2019/rp-prod192086

tomhoward

Almost worth buying then ditching the frame and keeping the components for something that doesn’t make you want to bleach your eyes

nuke

Yeah, great spec, even like the colour scheme but still no

feed

Real Marmite isn’t it. I actually think it’s a brilliant looking bike. Love the high swing arm look and the suspension is supposed to be incredible. At that price tis an absolute bargain. Must resist……..

P.s. Tried Marmite once, yuch

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yup got my vote as bikes with the biggest discounts of 2019 through to 2020!

Them Lapierre Spicy 327’s (sold out now) were one of the best bargains I’ve seen in this round of sales. 1400 quid for a 160mm RS Yari and RS coil shock seemed reasonable. Again it’s not the nicest looking bike in the world, but I would have snapped one up for that money, had I not been in possession of perfectly adequate bikes.

hols2
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it’s pretty, but it’s a long way from being the ugliest thing ever. Some random contenders:

null

null

null

duckman

Thing is, CRC don’t carry the full Marin range. What muppet of a buyer took both these AND the less well spec’ed 8?

brant
    Free Member

Thing is, CRC don’t carry the full Marin range. What muppet of a buyer took both these AND the less well spec’ed 8?

Someone who bought the lot at a killer knock down price and has big balls.

zilog6128

It’s supposed to ride great which is all I’d really care about, I’d defo get one if I needed (wanted) a new bike & had the cash, cracking bargain!!

PiknMix
    Free Member

All of the old quad link Marin were munters, but my old attack trail was still the best riding bike I’ve ever ridden.

if I had the cash I’d take a punt on that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Opened this thread thinking I’d post something about whatever bike it was, it wouldn’t be as ugly as that Marin.

Aye. well…. 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

If the XL is still available and I could sell my Intense Spider tomorrow (and magic the rest of the cash up). I’d already have it ordered 🙂

Love different bikes!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i quite like it. worst bit is the mud guard

Mister-P
    Free Member

The looks of an e-bike but with the benefits of a motor.

tomhoward

Wonder if anyone bought one at, or close to, RRP.

And if they’ve calmed down yet. Dealers who bought them must be seething too

simon_g

Will it make me ride like Vero or Matt?

I don’t mind it really. I don’t see £6ks worth but really good vfm at that money.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The looks of an e-bike but with the benefits of a motor.

Should say WITHOUT obviously.

DezB
    Free Member

So grim it’s had 2 threads now 🙂

There’s a lot more to a bike than how it rides! I mean, if it was the only great riding bike in existence, then yeah. But it’s not. The minger.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Poverty spec rear shock though 😛

Poopscoop

Loved the look of the QUAD/ QUAD 2’s…. But that is just not my thing in afraid.

jkomo

I would have thought £6k was impossible to upgrade. This just looks ‘good’ spec really.

footflaps

Someone who bought the lot at a killer knock down price and has big balls.

Probably end up being ridden round Thetford Forest / Cannock Chase 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

So ugly it was taken from its mother at birth to stop her beating it to death.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Definite Marmite, I like it. Well, enough that I wouldn’t turn one down.

Can definitely see the e-bike look though. You would end up being a fast rider from the pelters you would get.

motivation

PJM1974
    Free Member

The rear suspension is supposed to be game-changing good, but it absolutely munts.

I saw one once, I walked round the bike on display and thought “Oh no, they’ve done the same on the other side too”.

Northwind

I like that the cheaper spec model is only £100 less in this sale, presumably because the colours are less horrible.

Thing is, maybe the suspension’s as amazing as it’s made out to be- and the jury’s out it seems, never rode one myself- but the geometry is straight up 2015. I mean, it’s within millimetres of my antique remedy 29, and it was designed as a trailbike. COnsidering a proper wolf ridge was a mad wee charger that was in some ways way ahead of it’s time, it’s all a bit weird.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/images/models/Marin/2009/Wolf-Ridge-6.8_09/Main.jpg
    (2009, this was, and the head angle is only half a degree steeper)

davosaurusrex

The colours are the best thing about the looks!

I had a 2008 Wolf Ridge with coil Pikes, great bike

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah Monarch inline shock on a £6k bike?

GTFO.

I wouldn’t say it’s pretty, but it’s a long way from being the ugliest thing ever.

It’s arguably the ugliest mainstream bike of the current era. The only uncertainty is whether the Polygon version is worse. And I’d say probably not.

agoose
    Free Member

Those Marin’s really are an assault on the eyes.
    Still cant see where they’ve managed to hide the battery.

This seems like a much better way to spend that kind of money:

Latest Classified Ads

Sorry/Not sorry.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

They are such an odd aesthetic frame design that only ‘a mother could love’, but as an owner of (coughs) two, I thought I’d speak up…..

I first demoed one at Ard Rock, 2 years ago I think, albeit only on the demo loop but I loved it. The rear linkage feel is superb on the trail and doesn’t get hung up on square edged hits, instead, it gives you a little turbo kick as you come over them. On technical traverses it was excellent and responds to shift in body weight really well. I looked at the price tag, and laughed.

Fast forward to mid last year and a frame sailed through my browser window on ebay at sensible money, so I jumped at it. Its built, ridden, hammered and used. For the lower end trail type of riding ie, about xc, but not enduro, it’s a really comfortable nice place to be on a ride. Yes the angles are a little outdated (for a new bike….) the reach is short so I’m on an XL, as I like a 485mm, the head angle could do with being a couple of degrees slacker, seat angle steeper, and the standover is a little tall. Yes it does have the most basic of basic monarch air cans and coming ftom someone who likes the adjustment of my CC Inline Coil and the time I’ve spent on a Push Eleven Six, it’s a basic shock, but with the bikes linkage it leaves you longing for nothing more in that department! It works and it’s fun, but it’s no DHX2.

In fact, I liked my first Wolf Ridge so much that when I noticed Marins old distributor Paligap, selling demo bikes and the odd frame off online, I grabbed another in a different colour (don’t ask, I’m a Bikeaholic).

Do I need another? No! Have I just found another for sale cheaper than that chain reaction one in the link above? Yes…..
    On ebay is a full XL bike, the seller is ‘Tricycleresort’ ie. Its the CHIGGLE warehouse it’ll probably do 1.5 K ish and someone will get a great deal and a whole lot of bike, probably 25% of retail for it.

Just my proverbial two cents.

timbog160

It’s goppin’ 🤮

parkesie
    Free Member

Stick a trust fork on it and your away.

tomhoward

Not forgetting Spengle wheels…

damascus
    Free Member

At least you don’t see it when you are riding it

trumpton
    Free Member

It’s a shame cos I really like the rest of the Marin line up. That looks wrong – Espically the geometry – how can they get that wrong when their other bikes I think are fine.

wordnumb
    Free Member

A wool fridge isn’t going to keep your groceries crisp.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Here’s that ebay link if it might save someone a few pennies:

Wolf Ridge on ebay

joshvegas
    Free Member

Northwind am I not right in thinking you paid money for an Ellsworth at some point?

reluctantjumper

I actually demo’d one of them and the rear suspension is indeed brilliant. I could look past the colours and looks too but not the geometry that is a bit behind the times. The cost was a bit eye-watering too but doesn’t apply in this case. The cost was all to do with the rear suspension anyway, expensive to make and license. If you want a great pedalling trail bike that’s not full Enduro in slackness then that’s a bit of a bargain.

zippykona

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Bike not ugly enough? Got £2700 spare?’ is closed to new replies.