Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Biggest rip off's in cycling….whats yours
  • kiwijohn

Meh, it’s only money.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Or have had a day’s entertainment (possibly for 3 or 4 people) on trails that cost money and effort to maintain.. for £5/£8.

Sounds more like a bargain than a rip off to me!

yeah agree with that to, I look at a seasons pass at dalby as a bargain. especially if you do two trail building seasons and get one for free.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

+ other one for event entry.

Mucho £ for not very much in many cases.

I only do those which offer a reasonable amount in exchange for entry and/or give a big chunk of proceeds to charity. eg: Brownbacks and Rough Ride.

xiphon
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s much I would consider a ‘rip off’, as I buy 95% of kit second hand….

Yes it’s expensive, but the customer dictates what they’re willing to pay by voting with their wallet – not the manuf. dictating how much things will cost…

So you only have yourselves to blame 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes, middle aged men with too much disposable income are the culprits.

binners

Santa Cruz mech hangers must be handmade from fairies tears by Unicorns, or something. 35 quid for a little piece of bendy metal!! You’re having a ****ing giraffe!!!

The price of roadie replica kit doesn’t half make me laugh. Someone, somewhere mustn’t be able to believe their luck, that so many delusional, gullible idiots people are prepared to pay that amount of money to look like a total spod!!! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

How can you have too much disposable income?

Press fit BB’s ….. I feel violated when I hand my £30-£40 over on a regular basis …. I’m such a slag

xiphon
    Free Member

If the middle aged men with lots of disposable income still hand over their cash, despite the high price, can you blame the manuf. for keeping the prices high?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Heard of them and what they are likely to be. The problem for them is: I just don’t value them, hence regarded as a rip off.

& TBH other events have been better VFM: heaven of the south cotswolds was excellent VFM (and for charidy). Ride in the day & evening entertainment of a band and SCS.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The price of roadie replica kit doesn’t half make me laugh. Someone, somewhere mustn’t be able to believe their luck, that so many delusional, gullible idiots people are prepared to pay that amount of money to look like a total spod!!!

I get your point on looking like a spod. but team kit is often cheaper than the regular jersey.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

If the middle aged men with lots of disposable income still hand over their cash, despite the high price, can you blame the manuf. for keeping the prices high?

Boom. I can’t afford a ferrari but I can afford top end bike stuff. What’s a shame is its driving up the prices for kids and meaning we are all getting targeted more by thieving chavs.

hounslow
    Free Member

BB30 bearing ‘kits’. 2 cartridge bearings and 2 snap rings for £25-£30.

Legoman
    Free Member

Apparently Muc-Off is 5hite. So you won’t be wanting any for free then.
    In which case don’t click this: free stuff

😉

jonathan
    Free Member

It those little bits that you suddenly discover you need so you can use the thing you’ve already spent money on that annoy me… like one of these. RRP £22!!

klumpy
    Free Member

A mountain bike wheel costs about as much as a motox-er wheel. A MTB Hi-roller is 60 odd quid and a road legal enduro tyre is about 45. Entering a motorcycle enduro – 45 quid against 60 for the mountain bike.

I hate the entire mountain bike industry for its shameless profiteering with overpriced under-engineered garbage apparently made of cheese mixed with snake oil.

But I like riding mountain bikes. 😕

banks
    Free Member

The only bits which don’t seem to be a rip off for me
    Chains
    Lube
    Grips
    Tyres
    Air

mattsccm
    Free Member

But I live here and was riding my bikes in the woods before the FC screwed them up!
    Thats why I don’t ride past miles of trails to get there. I ride miles of trails and don’t get there 😯

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

50ml of unicorn piss

thats the same price they were selling litre tubs of the stuff recently.

What about Fox float fluid, £2 for a 2ml pack of 90wt gear oil?

smiff
    Free Member

£1000/litre haha hadn’t thought of it that way.
    anyone confirm a gearbox oil that’s def. plastic/seal safe?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

fox forks
    shimano chains and cassettes that don’t last 3 months of riding
    sram jockey wheels
    raceface BB’s

and

rrp’s!

daveh
    Free Member

Press fit BB’s ….. I feel violated when I hand my £30-£40 over on a regular basis …. I’m such a slag

Indeed, I wasn’t going to let FSA’s BB86 non-standard 6804 bearing set me back £28. I little lathe work by a man that can and a 0.5mm shim allowed a standard 6804 to go in there just nicely. I didn’t pay for the bearing either, it was rescued from a Hope hub!

matt_outandabout

ONE Marzocchi air valve for a 1999 fork: £9

billyboy
    Free Member

ROB

billyboy
    Free Member

a man called Rob

spchantler
    Free Member

tyres!!!!! i can get car tyres cheaper!!!!

ononeorange

On the subject of Muc-Off, I have found that it is good for “zapping” slugs that try to creep up on you when you’re cleaning your bike. They hate the stuff, so it’s not that bad.

Does that help?

timnwild

Lights – I just got 1300 lumens joystick-ish torch with 2 batteries and bar clamp for less than 35 quid.

And cleats +1 – 15 quid for Time cleats, and i looked around too.

rmacattack
    Free Member

so hows the list coming along? basically everything that is needed for mountain biking so far.

racefaceec90

camelback spares,and the cost of some tyres 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

rmacattack – Member

so hows the list coming along? basically everything that is needed for mountain biking so far.

rubbish.

clicky for much cheapness.

they’re almost giving them away.

theredchili
    Free Member

Just to join in with the spirit of things though, ranting about cost you don’t like—- parking costs for locals in the FoD!

If you need to ‘drive’ to the FoD, you are not local.

ha ha ha ,not to mention town carparks now charging too

rmacattack
    Free Member

any 1 metion chain devices or tires yet?
    oem disc pads
    any oem stuff in general
    bike specific clothing
    bike specific lubes

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Biggest rip off's in cycling….whats yours’ is closed to new replies.