Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • bigger child seat for 4 year old
  • Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a larger seat as my son has outgrown his child seat and I still want to be able to transport him.

wwaswas

I’d get a trailer bike for a kid that age, tbh – his legs are going to be so long all his weight will be behind the back axle before much longer and you’ll be wheelie-ing all over the place.

rewski
    Free Member

as wwaswas said, my 4 year old is on a trek mountain trailer.

igm

Perhaps a LOCT if you can find one.

rewski
    Free Member

you might get away with a copilot, sits on a blackburn

TiRed

This

Kiddyback Tandem, or a tagalong. Go for a tagalong that fastens to a rack if possible.

GrahamS

Brother-in-law has a Trail-Gator for his 4 year old.

Seemed like a good design because you can tow him on his normal bike and it then folds away when it is safe for him to ride on his own.

http://www.trail-gator.com/

moniex
    Free Member

We had a bike seat made by bobike the BOBIKE JUNIOR, bought in holland, espacially made for older kids, 5 to 10 years, 20-35kg:

It was great, folds flat to become a carrier (I think they used to say it holds a crate of beer folded flat, how Dutch!).

I think you can buy the seatbelt thingy and spoke guards to protect little ones feet seperately (as many Dutch kids this age dont need them).

Great seat, I used it for my boys to take them to school on the way to work, untill the bike with it on got nicked 😥

HTH

Simone

StirlingCrispin

I use an LOCT for lugging Thump around – a solid 6-yr old.
    A FollowMe tandem is also useful for this purpose – particularly when Thud (4) is on the LOCT. This has the advantage over the Trailgator in that it takes a 20″ wheeled-bike.

AtoB did an excellent review on bike seats a year ago (June 2011) – they reviewed a range of seats aimed at your question. Well worth buying the back issue: http://www.atob.org.uk/

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

hmm, i’m thinking of bolting a seat to the rear rack as I don’t have money for any of those. I coulkd just tie wrap him to the top tube.

igm

Kevsterjw – email me if you think a secondhand Copilot Limo would be of interest. I have both the pannier rack and seat not doing anything. The LOCT would be my recommendation but you can’t have that as we have a second son growing into it at the moment.

Iain

charliedontsurf

Tag a long style half bikes are ace…. You also get two wheel drive if they get stuck in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘bigger child seat for 4 year old’ is closed to new replies.