Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big earthquake in Iran
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Poor buggers hope it isn’t to bad.

zokes
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound great from the news I’ve read 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

anyone else worried about their nuclear plant on the fault line then ? no just me ?

lotta activity in the area recently – there were a couple last month , i was in turkmenistan just along the caspian in the epicentre of a 4.8 the month before that.

racefaceec90

luckily the nuclear plant is undamaged (and no deaths according to rt).
    obviously not as important as a certain iron lady’s demise though on bbc 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah but given the fact we are no allowed media into iran go figure how much belief i have in what they tell us……

japan said the same thing as i recall about fukushima

glenp
    Free Member

The nuclear plant is on the other side of the country. Plus, s far as I know, it is quite a new facility and not an ancient re-commissioned one.

5thElefant
    Free Member

anyone else worried about their nuclear plant on the fault line then ? no just me ?

Just you. The rest of us live miles away.

trail_rat
    Free Member

meh – chernobyl was a long way away too ….

I guess its more that i work in that neck of the woods from time to time. wouldnt surprise me to see papier masche stacks 😉

scuzz
    Free Member

HAARP, innit 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The hypocentre was under a sparsely-populated area, and relatively deep in the earth for a quake of that magnitude, so casualties are expected to be ‘relatively’ low.

A shallow M7.8 under Tehran would be a different matter…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

More field testing of DESTINI?

hh45
    Free Member

Of course, its not as serious as 3 deaths in the USA. Couldn’t believe the hype Radio 4 gave the Boston marathon this morning on Today. Totally OTT in my view. 100 deaths in an Iraqi (US ultimate cause?) car bomb gets 15 seconds. If it was Boston Lincolnshire I could understand but USA. Rubbish.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think their nuke plants are under the same constraints re seismicity and design as everywhere else. As in checked by the UN.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Of course, its not as serious as 3 deaths in the USA. Couldn’t believe the hype Radio 4 gave the Boston marathon this morning on Today. Totally OTT in my view. 100 deaths in an Iraqi (US ultimate cause?) car bomb gets 15 seconds. If it was Boston Lincolnshire I could understand but USA. Rubbish.

Are you suggesting the deaths of 3 white people are not way more important and regrettable than the deaths of hundreds of foreigners? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, its not as serious as 3 deaths in the USA.

To be fair, a terrorist attack is a much more interesting story for most people. It’s got intrigue, and possible wider implications for the world. Earthquakes, whilst awful, are just a one shot story. There’s not much else to say.

ElShalimo

Nuclear sites are designed to withstand an earthquake for a specific return period, say 475 years, then add a little extra. It’s a bit like Victorian over-engineering.
    So if the event is below that design horizon then great. However, if the event is a very shallow one, local to the facility and above that return period magnitude then it’s going to end very badly for everyone. Usual rule of thumb is they build them in areas that are not seismically active or have a very low background seismicity and also in areas where the underlying rock/soils do not amplify the intensity.

zokes
    Free Member

To be fair, a terrorist attack is a much more interesting story for most people. It’s got intrigue, and possible wider implications for the world. Earthquakes, whilst awful, are just a one shot story. There’s not much else to say.

Shall I quote you on that when the overdue ‘big one’ on the San Andreas Fault lets go?

maccruiskeen

Of course, its not as serious as 3 deaths in the USA.

It was an incident in the US…. at a mass-participation international sports event. Its news-worthiness comes partly from the terror angle (and the speculation over a terror attack with no apparent obvious claim or point being made) and partly from the fact the people were taking part in, and spectating at the event ( and therefore potentially amongst the victims) were from all over the world. So its prominence in the UK news schedule reflects the fact there will be a significant number of UK viewers who’ll be following the story because they know friends and family of theirs will have been close to the event.

Being a sporting event it was also widely covered by cameras – so theres news to actually show. Theres less news you can make out of an event in a comparitively closed country with a government who’re not terribly open or honest in their dealings with the international media and a lack of a available facts, footage or eye witness testimony.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big earthquake in Iran’ is closed to new replies.