• This topic has 44 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Fudd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • BIG bands you never really got, until
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Recently.
    I’m ashamed to say this, but at 66 I’ve just really ‘got’……the Rolling bloody Stones!
    This is after watching ‘Keith Richards, my life as a Rolling Stone’.
    I’d never heard Gimme Shelter live before, but the Havana Moon version with Sasha Allen with Mick Jagger got my attention.
    & is Keith Richards cool or what?
    Yours, on a postcard please?

theotherjonv

Springsteen. Totally didn’t get him; thought it was just redneck American RnR

I’m still not exactly an aficionado, but I can see his lyrics as poetry, and some of his live performance is just fab

augustuswindsock

ABBA, they were at their peak when I was a pimply youth obediently liking what the NME told me to like until I realised they were a bunch of upper middle class white boys ( post tony parson’s) from the home counties (NME journos, not Abba obvs).

onehundredthidiot

The Beatles, don’t like the early stuff. Then they disappeared up their own fundament. Macca is so overrated I can’t believe people hang on his every utterance.

Mind you if I knew hee haw about musicians or “the famous” then I’d be perfectly happy.

Caher

AC/DC Iron Maiden etc, heavy rock in general.

theotherjonv

^ so where’s the ‘until’? Or is that yet to come?

Caher

Until I heard Nirvana. Satisfied?

submarined
    Free Member

Coldplay. I despise them, Chris Martin is a bit of a wazzock and has churned out decades of utter dross.
    But during a bout of prescription medication induced depression, for some reason, ‘Fix You’ appeared on something I was listening to. Bloody hell, that’s a cracking bit of indie pop balladry, that is.

I’m not sure Kae Tempest could be classed as big, but this absolutely changed my opinion of them. The first segment is so powerful, so raw. Blew me away.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

^ so where’s the ‘until’? Or is that yet to come?

Recently.
    Says so in the 1st line of the OP.

theotherjonv

Until I heard Nirvana. Satisfied?

sorry, was responding to 100th, who seems to have read the thread as ‘big bands I don’t get’ and missed the important bit.

Caher

No worries, in a bad mood as my team got hammered.

Edukator
    Free Member

Elvis in my case, I associated him with a series of naff films usually shown on black and white TV at Christmas with Hula girls and cheesy tunes. Then Youtube came along and I played a few vids of James Burton which led to Scotty Moore and the original Elvis formation with Bill Black riding his bass and DJ Fontana on drums. Those guys could rock and Elvis was the perfect front man.

As for the Stones, whilst I love his guitar work and even his singing I can’t cope with keef’s manner. This is 2022 and cats are things people have as pets.

goldfish24

sorry, was responding to 100th, who seems to have read the thread as ‘big bands I don’t get’ and missed the important bit.

I was thinking the same thing and read your post as such.

I’m not sure Kae Tempest could be classed as big, but this absolutely changed my opinion of them.

Yeah now that’s a good shout. I’ve been hearing their work for years thinking I’m not really into poetry and stuff, but I heard a performance this summer that absolutely captivated me and been meaning to dig into kae’s work.

theotherjonv

mine too…… worst of all, there’s a regular controversial poster on here that’s a blade who’s bound to crop up at some point.

CountZero

U2, until a mate played ‘War’, and it started with ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’. ‘Joshua Tree’ I think is when they peaked.

I don’t have the ‘hate’ for Bono, he can be a bit up himself, but he’s passionate about human rights, and does get carried away, but I don’t have a problem with that.

burntembers

For me it’s the Cure.

I love my music and like bands from a wide range of genres, but the Cure were never really on my radar even at their peak. I suppose I previously regarded them as 6th form gothicy emo depressing dirge.

During lockdown I compiled quite a few WFH playlists and I included a few of their tracks, which I found I enjoyed, and which led me to explore more of their back catalogue.

They probably won’t ever feature in my top ten bands but I am now of the opinion they wrote some decent pop songs as well as some more weightier tunes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Big bands? I never really got Glenn Miller until I was in the mood.

jamj1974

U2…

I don’t have the ‘hate’ for Bono, he can be a bit up himself, but he’s passionate about human rights, and does get carried away, but I don’t have a problem with that.

+1.

Rona

Big bands? I never really got Glenn Miller until I was in the mood.

👏 😃

hatter

Ghost, when the first album came out a few mates were banging on about them, I bought it ready to have my socks blown off only to have a massive ‘meh’ reaction, mainly due to Tobias’s very soft vocals I suspect.

Fast forward 10 years and I’m looking for music my nipper will like and gave Ghost a try, he took to them like a duck to water and suddenly something about the song writing just clicked, love ’em now.

Maybe I’m just getting old.

ElShalimo

The Pixies… the until hasn’t happened yet 🤦‍♂️

I really don’t see why they have such a huge following (ditto Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, and so many others but that’s worth its own thread)

Kryton57

I never got into the Foo Fighters until I heard Everlong last year.

RustySpanner

Rush I agree with – music for right wing virgins. 🙂

hatter

I never got into the Foo Fighters until I heard Everlong last year.

Can see why that would be the case.

ernie

Here’s a starter:
    U2
    Oasis
    Blocparty
    The Beatles

MSP

I think most big bands only have a period of good music. The beatles got better when they started taking drugs and stopped making music for teenage girls, the rolling stones had a solid 5 years then decades of crappness. The doors I never got until I started taking drugs.

theotherjonv

Here’s a starter:
    U2
    Oasis
    Blocparty
    The Beatles

I think you missed the point of the OP

ernie

I’m still waiting for the ‘until’.

thebunk

As a massive R.E.M. nerd I’d always hated U2 as being overblown bombastic nothing music fronted by a shady donkey.

UNTIl

inadvertently gatecrashing a birthday party in an Auckland Irish pub we all got extremely drunk and watched an amazing (probably) U2 tribute band. By the end of the set I knew all the words and could sing them at the top of my voice, converted! Soundtracked the rest of our trip and I’m still fond of them for those memories.

jimmy

I’ll go with Rolling Stones too. Unfortunately it was my Dad dieing that got me listening. He was never really into music, but through the long sleepless nights he had battling cancer, using his newly acquired iPhone, he started listening to music and enjoyed the Stones. When he died, I listened to the Gimme Shelter album and was a bit hooked. It’s bitter sweet listening, but enjoyable.

Other than that, The Killers. Saw them live in Las Vegas in 2006 and binged from there.

kayak23

UB40
    They were pretty big when I was a yoot, but just horribly mainstream. Not up my alley at all. Thought they were rubbish.

Until my love of dub and reggae grew and I heard their first Album, ‘Signing Off’ which is dope.

Listening to it now in fact.

See also, Musical Youth.

hunta

Radiohead.

Everything should have pointed to me being a big fan, and a mate of mine tried for years in vain to convert me but I just couldn’t make sense of it.

Then I was listening to Martin Grech’s Open Heart Zoo, It struck me as similar and the whole Radiohead thing fell into place.

Knives Out – spine-tingling. Ruddy awesome.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A few years ago now but I really was late getting into Tom Petty.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Springsteen. Totally didn’t get him; thought it was just redneck American RnR

Yes but not recently, only a bit later than he should’ve been.
    Heard ‘The Fuse’ a few years ago & realised what I’d been missing.

stanfree
    Free Member

Growing during the Madchester / Rave era I was more interested in clubs and warehouses whilst a couple of the uncool mates liked Wu Tang and the Beastie boys. It wasn’t until MCA died I wished I’d went to see them and also Wu Tang who are immense. For really big artists Prince was another , would donate a left testi to have seen him. Only recently got into Mogwai , Arab strap and freightened rabbit . Whilst none of these are big I can still and have actually been to see two of them .

cheekyget
    Free Member

I never liked any music other than rave /dance…..then I started to learn electric guitar…now I’m loving the old 60s-90s rock and blues….right now I’m loving ” one way out” Allmans brothers.

It’s crazy…everyday I’m finding great stuff to listen to…its like my ears are suddenly open

joshvegas
    Free Member

Slade.

Well I wasn’t particularly anti Slade but thought they were a bit “novelty”

But watching them cover darling be home soon… Those guys know their stuff.

I still don’t really get the stones, which is funny because I love their contemporaries muchly small faces and the animals etc… Get in my ears!

TheBrick
    Free Member

The doors I never got until I started taking drugs.

“Which ones?”
    “All of them.”

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cheeky if you like the Allmans try The Black Crowes, start with Wiser Time and Descending from Amorica or the Southern Harmony album. Marcus King also some of that soulful southern rock feel.

cheekyget
    Free Member

That’s a good shout..cheers bro

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.