Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bib shorts & tights together etiquette/comfort?
  • yoshimi

So with the cold weather coming what do you do? I’ve used just a padded bib tights for last few years but hate wearing them as they’re just not that comfy.

Toying with the idea of my regular padded bib shorts with some unpadded bib tights over the top but then I wondered just how comfy this will be with two lots of ‘braces’ going over your shoulders plus camelbak…would just unpadded tights work better…but I’m a big fan of bibs and wondered whether tights would slip down…decisions…what do you do?

gee
    Free Member

I only use non padded big tights with bib shorts. Not a problem.

GB

toppers3933
    Free Member

I use non bib tights with a bib short or non bib shorts with bib tights. Has always worked perfectly well. Didn’t get on with two bibs at once.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

works fine for me – used this combo for years.

Favourite cold weather combo = base layer – thermal padded bib longs [3/4 shorts] – then a jersey then bib tights without pad then jacket.

Only problem is the trail side pi$$ – but you soon get the hang of it. Or wet and smelly.

Haze

Leg warmers?

pipiom
    Free Member

For cold IOM MTB rides I wear bib shorts and leggings for not quite freezing then Aldi thermal liner tights under Gore thermal Biblongs….. Cozeee!!!!

yoshimi

Toppers that’s what I imagined, 2 x bib things don’t look comfy also I don’t like the idea of anything between my skin and the pad, otherwise won’t it just bunch up and chaffe

Sounding like bib shorts with normal unpadded tights over the top, still concerned about tights slipping down or the waist of them being uncomfy/digging in when I’ve always been used to ultra comfy bibs

gee
    Free Member

Wearing 2 sets of bibs really isn’t a problem. As you say, non bin tights make your back cold, are uncomfy round the waist and fall down.

GB

bigG
    Free Member

Just buy a decent set of winter bibs and ride hard enough to stay warm. Has seen me fine down to sub zero temperatures perfectly well.

Just make sure the rest of your kit is keeping you warm enough.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lusso pro gel shorts and pearl Izumi pro unpadded bin tights
    Just Perect last winter

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use the Enduro 3/4 winter bib its nice and warm and reaches half way down the calf so avoiding getting soggy at the bottom. Padded and comfortable. I like bibs best as they stay up and dont sag. Never had a problem with straps, dont notice them.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for bibshorts and unpadded bibtights.

mrchrispy

Yup, bibs and a pair Ron hills work perfectly well. Can also whip then off when it warms up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What gee et al saud

EDIT RON HILLS WTF ARGH…

endurancenut
    Free Member

3/4 Roubaix bib shorts get me through the worst winter has to throw at us. DHB vaeon roubaix are my favourites.

yoshimi

I can’t do 3/4 length tights in the winter as I when my feet get wet they get ‘very’ cold and one way I’ve found to get round them is by having some waterproofish tights that go over the top of my sealskin socks.

I’m now thinking just some Castelli nanotech biblongs but with a pad may be the way forward

will
    Free Member

All of last winter I used Roubaix leg warmers and normal bib shorts. Seemed to work well and meant I have no issues with comfort.

wwaswas

leg warmers and normal bib shorts

I’d be worried about getting a frost bitten willy.

I always buy pad free winter stuff as it’s cheaper and I have several sets of perfectly good padded shorts to wear underneath.

Also means I can replace shorts as the pads wear out and keep using the winter stuff on top.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Normal bib shorts and leg warmers to around +5 degrees then fully fleeced CX skinsuit and leg warmers to around -10, works fine.

njee20
    Free Member

All of last winter I used Roubaix leg warmers and normal bib shorts. Seemed to work well and meant I have no issues with comfort.

I tend to do that on the MTB, and do actually find I stay warm. On the road with the extra wind chill I prefer a bit of crotch fleece.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts & tights together etiquette/comfort?’ is closed to new replies.