Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bfe or ragley blue pig x
  • philip
    Free Member

getting rid of my 2009 orange alpine frame (medium) and thinking of either a bfe or ragley blue pig x.

going to swap all the kit over and drop my 2010 fox 36 float r forks down to 140mm.

what are peoples thoughts?

spawnofyorkshire

what are peoples thoughts?

Why is it snowing today when it’s supposed to be spring?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i should have used more chamois cream and maybe trained a little more

philip
    Free Member

yawn……

tomaso
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll find a Blue Pig X frame anywhere new as I thought they sold the lot. I bought one last October for £190 which was a steal!

Not sure there is a lot in it between the two bikes. What colour do you prefer?

messiah
    Free Member

Based on my experience both of these frames really like a fork of around 140mm so thats a good start.

Of the two the BFe has a lower bottom bracket and a steeper headangle, which makes it responsive at low speeds but capable as speeds increase. The Ragley has a slacker head angle, a higher bottom bracket and long chainstays which makes it less involving at slow speeds where it feels a bit ponderous, but as speeds increase it becomes very confident and capable.

Pig X has the adjustable dropouts if you want to run 12mm axle or singlespeed… might be important and swing it one way or the other. Its a discontinued model though so you either pick up NOS or buy second hand. Quality was a bit hit and miss last year as well so there might be issues (My Troof broke).

I believe the 2013 Blue pig loses the adjustable dropouts but the bottom bracket is lower… which should make it a better handling bike, although they have dropped the 17″ size which is the one I would want.

Cotic get the fan love on this site and the designeer is often about for advice… you don’t get any of that from Ragley (even their website is dreadfully out of date).

Cotic for the win.

hora
    Free Member

Everytime I see Pig X I think someones signed their name and put ‘Pig kiss’. For that reason, I’m out.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I really enjoyed my Blue Pig X for the 18 months or so that I had it. The frame angles are pretty much spot on for this type of hardtail so it manages to descend and climb really well, and although it’s more than capable on twisty single track it really comes into its own on really techy stuff…..the steeper the better. Fork wise I used 36 Floats and 150mm Black Box Revs, and while it handled better on the Revs they felt a wee bit noodly compared to the much stiffer 36’s which seemed to suit the nature of the frame better, however as messiah states above although the frame can easily take 160mm forks it does raise the BB a bit. 36’s shimmed down to 140mm would probably have been perfect. I’d planned to do this just before I sold the frame.

tobin
    Free Member

I have a Bfe with 36 Floats shimmed down to 140 and its about perfect. Can’t go far wrong with that combo for a general all rounder.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Could do you a nice Ragley Ti if you fancied splashing a bit more 😉

cr500dom
    Free Member

Swayndo – Member

Could do you a nice Ragley Ti if you fancied splashing a bit more

What frame size ?
    I have a 16″ mk1 blue pig and would like the same but in Ti :mrgreen:

Swayndo
    Free Member

Sorry it’s a medium.

philip
    Free Member

Cheers for tall the comments.
    Bfe ordered last night.

Northwind

I love my Ragley, but with the BFe you can be sure it’ll be made right! 3 out of the 4 Ragleys I’ve owned were defective, though to be fair 2 were just paint.

(the 1 out of the 4 is incredibly awesome, though, so it worked out not too bad 😉 )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bfe or ragley blue pig x’ is closed to new replies.