Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Beware of this plant – giant hogweed in Surrey
  • linusr

Giant hogweed.

Giant hogweed.

Riding along a bridleway today in Surrey we came across a rather nasty plant towering over us – giant hogweed! There were up to a hundred of these plants nearby and they have a sap that can cause your skin to blister so much that you will need hospital treatment. If you ever encounter this hugely toxic plant please don’t touch it and if you do, wash your skin as soon as you can. It is also harmful to dogs. We found it at grid ref TQ 191 384 near Lyne House in Surrey. It was either side of the bridleway and we walked very carefully past it. I have since reported it to Surrey council to ask to have it removed. Be careful out there!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Another import to thank gardeners for

jamesoz

Definitely one to watch, our lodger is a tree surgeon and should know better but while working in a garden he exposed the skin on his arms and hands to giant hogweed whilst sorting a garden.
    The burns were horrific, allegedly it’s like the skin loses its protection from UV light. I don’t know how true it is but he didn’t work for a while after that.

slowoldman

This was a big story in the late 60s. They grew alongside the canal we used to fish on. The stems make brilliant peashooters but the sap causes blistering. Nasty.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Loads of it down by the river Ure at Boroughbridge, bastid to kill off as well AFAIK.

stems make brilliant peashooters but the sap causes blistering.

I think that’s the smaller variety which ( I think, again,) Isn’t a problem. I may be wrong.

Iv’e been doing my bit & pulling out Himalayan Balsam whenever I get a chance.

zippykona

Back in the days of mitts I must have brushed through some as I ended up with blisters in the shape of Satan’s hoof print on the back of my hand.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

jamesoz

Just asked him and yes it increases photosensitivity. His was made all the worse by working out in the sun for two days after exposure. Started as small white blisters, ended in burns and puss.

faerie
    Free Member

I was burnt by it when I was a kid, all the way up my legs; I still remember the blisters and pain vividly. Well done for reporting it, I hope they’ll remove it soon

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye there’s tons of it all up the Clyde from Cambuslang up. The cycle path behind Westburn is entirely lined with it.

took these the other week:

dmorts

I’ve seen a few of these about at the roadside. Always wondered what plant it was. I’d heard about Giant Hogweed. I didn’t know that was it until I looked it up as I can’t see the OPs pics.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye there’s a smaller variant that looks similar and isn’t toxic, just simply called Hogweed, it’s much much smaller. Giant Hogweed is much more massive and pretty unmistakable, the forrest there is about 12-15 feet tall.

I think also the shoots are an identifier, basically the flowery shoots on the smaller non toxic Hogweed will be about 10-15, on Giant Hogweed, more like 20+.

Garry_Lager

Place in Ireland where I went on holiday as a kid used to have giant hogweed, found them a bit foreboding, like tiffids. Not helped by being walloped over the head with hogweed trunks by sadistic cousins. Don’t recall every having a reaction, but my son got a surprisingly bad burn just from trailing his hand through the weeds along a country track. Guess like anything your own sensitivity to the active compounds will vary substantially.

tomd
    Free Member

Used to be loads of it along the River Esk just outside Edinburgh when I lived there. It lined most of the paths. The council did a pretty good job of keeping on top of it but there were some railway lines and network rails did FA so it just repopulated from there. Nasty, nasty stuff.

As above, you can’t really mistake it for normal hogweed. It’s absolutely massive! Also the red speckled stems are a giveaway. Stay clear!

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you get it on you. Cover it up immediately with whatever you have even if it means going tapsaff.

I’d recommend downloading the plant tracker app. Take a photo and register it and its on the various databases. You can also register other non native species. Its also worth learning the leaves for identification. They’re kind of like a really raggedy rhubarb in general plant shape the app also helps identify.

Its a spectacular plant if you see one standing on its own its quite. See it all the time inspecting railway bridges can make access impossible.

whitestone
    Free Member

Err, tapsaff?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I had a mild encounter with it a few weeks back. This was the sap soaking through my trousers on a very wet day. I didn’t even notice it till the next day. A week of factor 40 suncream and it vanished with no lasting after effects.
    I do think this was one of the smaller varieties though, many of them cause a similar reaction.

jimmy

Used to be loads of it along the River Esk just outside Edinburgh

Someone just posted pictures on the local Midlothian Facebook page of their kid who brushed the hogweed – looks horrific.

Drac

Awful burns from that stuff my Dad warned me about it as a kid so always avoided it. We don’t get many up here but it does appear occasionally.

And no you didn’t make pea shooters out of it that was just normal hogweed.

MoreCashThanDash

Was found near Derby last year, got a lot of publicity in the local papers

big_n_daft
    Free Member

UK needs to be a lot more like Canada in controlling plants that grow on land. All the agencies need to step up and take control of a situation that is getting worse

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Whitestone – ‘tops off’…….tapsaff……sun comes out in Scotland and when it gets above 17c the tops come off, at least among some of the population. Said top is usually draped over one shoulder or stuffed in back pocket of trackies.

linusr

For those of you who can’t see the image in the original post (apologies, my hopeless tech…)

Giant hogweed on bridleway.

The bridleway runs between the plants. The location is actually marked as a warning on Open Cycle Map here.

nuke

The location is actually marked as a warning on Open Cycle Map here.

Certainly seems prevalent in the Capel area; spotted in last year whilst at the Capel Military show and ive also see it this year in the Holmwood area. Nasty stuff

dmorts

Aye there’s a smaller variant that looks similar and isn’t toxic, just simply called Hogweed, it’s much much smaller. Giant Hogweed is much more massive and pretty unmistakable

It’s the huge ones I’ve seen, along the Edinburgh bypass.

jakd95
    Free Member

I work near rivers in South/West Yorkshire (Ouse/Aire/Don) and it seems very prevalent this year. There’s a programme to try and get on top of it by spraying by Councils/River Stewardship.

cchris2lou

We have some in France too, called wild celery.

Kuco

All the agencies need to step up and take control of a situation that is getting worse

Environment Agency spends over £2 million pounds a year on tackling invasive species.

scotroutes

Loads in Moray too. Not helped by the fertilzer-rich run-off from all the barley fields.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Environment Agency ineffectively spends over £2 million pounds a year on tackling invasive species.

If you don’t tackle the problem properly it just gets bigger, the £2m will be for high profile complaints, it won’t be anywhere near the cost of tackling the problem and they don’t take enforcement action on landowners as they claim it’s a local authority issue and Natural England stare at their feet and mutter about resources.

There are tree felling operations out there for various diseases where the Forestry Commission as the managing agency sign off on zero biosecurity measures as it’s to difficult to apply their own latest guidance. So you get contractors operating in one forest stripping out diseased trees spreading the disease to all the subsequent places they work, it’s a Ponzi scheme for the industry

spacemonkey

Certainly seems prevalent in the Capel area; spotted in last year whilst at the Capel Military show and ive also see it this year in the Holmwood area. Nasty stuff

Posted 54 minutes ago

A few years ago, one of the larger houses up on Ranmore Common was cordoned off from a nearby trail as it underwent removal of GH. It tools weeks if not months to sort out.

Kuco

Well, that’s just shit management of biosecurity by the Forest Commission.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Well, that’s just shit management of biosecurity by the Forest Commission.

No it’s the unwritten policy of a regulator who would rather make it easy for the contractor than actually apply the policy they write

chevychase

OK @Big_N_Daft – you going to volunteer to pay more tax to fix it?

Thought not. I don’t think “extra 0.2p on the pound to takle invasive species” is a vote-winner.

I agree with your sentiment, but having a rant at “the agencies” for being ineffective doesn’t help. TBH – if everyone patrolled their local area with a big bag and rubber gloves whilst out on their usual rides to tonk the worst of ’em then that’d do the job. But it’s always someone else’s problem…

Kuco

All because the Forestry Commission does that don’t automatically think every other organization does.

nuke

A few years ago, one of the larger houses up on Ranmore Common was cordoned off from a nearby trail as it underwent removal of GH.

The old post office had Japanese Knotweed behind it and there was more down near the top of Golden Nugget which was dealt with but hadn’t see the giant hogweed.

Plenty of Himalayan Balsam along many of the watercourses too!

croe
    Free Member

Err, tapsaff?

https://www.taps-aff.co.uk/ is a handy forecast should you ever visit us.

Environment Agency spends over £2 million pounds a year on tackling invasive species.

That’s peanuts. I worked on one job where they spent £200k clearing a bit of ground of envasive species to turn it into a carpark.

zippykona

Is there anything we can do as trail users?

Can we target an area get togged up and chop it down?

croe
    Free Member

Can we target an area get togged up and chop it down?

Not unless you fancy a prison sentence or large fine.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-the-spread-of-harmful-invasive-and-non-native-plants

You must not plant in the wild, or cause to grow in the wild, certain invasive and non-native plants. This can include moving contaminated soil or plant cuttings. If you do, you can be fined or sent to prison for up to 2 years.

You must not import, transport, keep, breed, sell, use or exchange, grow or cultivate, or release into the environment certain invasive alien species. If you do, you can be fined or sent to prison for up to 2 years.

It costs a fortune to remove legally, hence why so many land owners/managers do not bother and is also classed as special/hazardous waste so will need a waste carriers licence to take it away.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Government agencies, councils etc may not be responsible for a lot of it as a lot may be on private land. A lot of rights of ways, canal paths etc can pass between various land owners. A right of way is down to the land owner to sort out. They’re obliged to keep it clear though.

Not sure about FC land where they just manage the land on behalf of a private owner. Is it the owner’s responsibility to pay for it or the FC (thus public money)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Beware of this plant – giant hogweed in Surrey’ is closed to new replies.