Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bestest 27.2 droppers for not much wonga?
  • hora
    Free Member

UK-sourced (so I can have a warranty) though.

fathomer

Not sure how much you want to spend, but my Hilo works pretty well.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d quite like a new Hilo (as my 27.2 one works well) so could you buy one, Hora? I’ll buy it off you in a couple of weeks. Tenner ok? 🙂

ads678

Spose it depends on budget. The Hilo is probably the best, but my Tmars goes up and down when I push the lever and that was only £70. Tmars is the same as the Ice V8 thingy which you can get in the uk for about £50 more.

composite
    Free Member

Second hand gravity dropper.

twang
    Free Member

Hi-lo, Hi-lo its off to wiggle you go, with a trum-li-lee-laa… etc

christhetall
    Free Member

I’ve been very unimpressed with my Hilo, but only had it for a week before I had a bit of a crash so haven’t had chance to cheek it out properly

It slips down of it’s own accord, so every 20 mins or so you have to hit the release button to get it back up to full height.

Plus when you do want to drop it, it’s slow and makes a scrapping noise

I’m guessing it might need more air and lubrication, but it’s a disappointment compared to the reverb on my other bike

nickjb
    Free Member

I put a Tmars on the wife’s bike. It was only £57 direct from Taiwan and the warranty isn’t an issue as I’ve modified it a bit anyway. If it fails I’ll try a different one but it’s survived a week in Alps so OK so far.

tandemwarriors

Well chuffed with my HiLo. Replaced the cable twice becasue they get sticky quite easily, but 18 months of faultless operation in the crappy Argyll climate 🙂

jamesoz

If you’re heavy, avoid the gravity dropper style ones (TMars etc) as the holes in the shaft that the pin locks into are a weak point and they can crack. Learnt that one the hard way.
    Hilo for me now for that reason. The seat clamp isn’t ideal but it does mean the saddle will move before the post bends.

christhetall
    Free Member

Looking through the comments on Wiggle and a lot of people have sent them back. Screeching noise is a common problem.

Another problem I would add is that saddle is held by a single bolt, making it difficult to adjust to your desired angle. I also had it slip on me on one ride

BillOddie

Not overly impressed with my Hilo as it lowers itself of it’s own accord. It’s manageable round my way as it’s constantly being raised and lowered. And on long climbs I don’t sit and spin the whole time i stand up every minute or so so I just have to remember to hit the button when I stand up.

I quite like the fact you don’t have to “bum tap” it like my old TMARS one though.

It’s better than a “normal post” but probably not worth the extra over a TMARS type.

I have heard of TMARS posts cracking and snapping too.

nwgiles

Thomson are supposed to be bringing out a 27.2.

I have started saving

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just got myself a lev second hand off eBay.i wanted a 30.9 but it’s a 27.2 although I guess I can shim it. Will be interesting to see how good they are.

jam-bo

I was watching that. not a bad price in the end.

kimbers

s/h gravity dropper

because they will do a full rebuild for you for 20 quid posted they are good for years and loads of spares available too

also light, easy to service and ime v reliable

jamesoz

[/quote]Looking through the comments on Wiggle and a lot of people have sent them back. Screeching noise is a common problem.

Another problem I would add is that saddle is held by a single bolt, making it difficult to adjust to your desired angle. I also had it slip on me on one ride [/quote]

Lube the seal.

Not sure how much easier it could be to adjust the seat angle? Slacken the bolt, move seat, tighten bolt.

wwaswas

fd3chris – if it doesn’t work out give me a shout – I’d be interested in that.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Will do mate.

BoardinBob

HiLo can squeak on lowering but a wee drop of lube around the collar cures it

rondo101
    Free Member

My Hilo developed a leak from the main seal within 6 weeks of use, where oil would migrate (in fairly significant volume) on to the outer surface, and then down the seat tube & seat stays, whilst in use. It’s back with Wiggle to see if they believe me or not. Hopefully they’ll replace it & we’ll see how the replacement does.

Am separately saving for a Thomson though, just in case.

Simon

What Kimbers said

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, that’s fair comment – mine will squeak if it’s not lubed. I reckon it’s just the rubber seal doing that though as it doesn’t actually seem to affect the function. I just tend to put a drop of lube on it before a ride.

christhetall
    Free Member

Not sure how much easier it could be to adjust the seat angle? Slacken the bolt, move seat, tighten bolt.

Yep, easy to change, but a pain to get at the right angle as it’s difficult to do small adjustments – the rail holders on each side have to be moved the same amount. Lubing them up helped, but that may increase the risk of them slipping again. Admittedly I do like to have my saddle as far back as possible, which obviously makes it more prone to tipping up, but try to avoid saddles with a single bolt adjustment.

Thanks for the advice on stopping the screeching – will give it a go when I’m able to get back on the bike !

hora
    Free Member

s/h gravity dropper & hilo- will keep a lookout for them ta 🙂

khani
    Free Member

I’ve had a HiLo that needed the oil topping up from new, a KSi7r that arrived broken from new, and a gravity dropper that just worked and worked and worked…

So what Kimbers said +2

rj
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hi-Lo. I put a bit of grease on it before each ride and it’s been faultless. Not had a problem with the seat clamp or cable although it can occasionally be a bit slow to go up, but I’m quite happy to live with that for the price.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve heard (and seen) good things about the Tmars bought via ebay. Seem to be working well for a few people I know. They are V cheap!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bestest 27.2 droppers for not much wonga?’ is closed to new replies.