Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best wheel builder in Edinburgh?
  • Dair
    Free Member

I know, I know, I should be doing this myself, but assuming I don't want a wheel like a twenty pence piece, who should I go to?

myheadsashed

Drive to Glasgow and see Big Al :wink

b0ll0x to the carbon footprint

GW
    Free Member

I wouldn't! Bains in Newhaven builds good wheels (if he's still there)

petrieboy

+1for neil bain in newhaven – I had wheels from him back in the day that stayed completely true to the day the rims wore through and spit. His labour rate was always buttons too 🙂

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I recently had a pair of wheels built by Velo Ecosse that I'm very very pleased with. Can't remember the chap's name but he was a fairly short English downhiller type…

stooo
    Free Member

I get Steve at iCycles in innerleithen to do all mine… he's always pretty busy, but builds a mighty strong wheel…

failing that, Andrew at Bicycle works is great, but I don't know if I'd trust the other wheel builders in there as one of them cocked a set of mine up.

Xan
    Free Member

Drive to Glasgow and see Big Al :wink

+2. Al's a legend in the world of wheel building!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Since I retired I gues I can't say myself 😉 , and having worked there (way back) I'd recommend Mr Davies at the Bicycle Works. Stuart Smith at Velo Ecosse too. I don't know about others…

hels
    Free Member

Another vote here for Andrew Davies at the Bike Works if you are strict on the Edinburgh rule, but call ahead as the workshop can be extremely busy.

And if you fancy a drive Steve Deas at i-Cycles also excellent, and also busy.

I wouldn't let any other bike shops near any of my bikes.

Xan
    Free Member

P.s. If you are wondering who Al is, it's Alasdair Gow from Wheelcraft in Lennoxtown.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Can recommend The Bike Chain, they did me a rear wheel a year ago and it's still perfect.

Thomo.

Xan
    Free Member

Never had wheels built by Mark at TBC so cant comment, but can recomend him for everything else. All round good guy!!

studioderm
    Free Member

Dave Martin / Andrew Davis at The Bikes Works have the skills, and an amazing eye for detail.

ojom
    Free Member

Never had wheels built by Mark at TBC so cant comment

You don't want me building you anything 8)

That's Brad and James's job.

Dougal
    Free Member

Danny. Think he might be busy pulling some skids and wheelies these days though.

Xan
    Free Member

Never had wheels built by Mark at TBC so cant comment

You don't want me building you anything

That's Brad and James's job.

I did notice anytime I come in with anything that results in "manual labour" you should down stairs haha.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

MD, you shouldn't put yourself down like that mate…. altering my saddle height to 'alpine setting' and noting it on my receipt (which also had the job description as 'make it ace') as such was a good job well done!! 8)

Waderider
    Free Member

+3 Big Al. I've had nothing but great wheels for years. He'll also supply you with flomugated specific spacers for that old bike if you've worn yours out.

ojom
    Free Member

Thats as far as my skills go Thomo. Leave the hard stuff to the boys who know best!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Velo Ecosse have built my last 3 wheels, can recommend them highly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best wheel builder in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.