Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best way to view footpaths on a phone?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Any apps available or websites? Done the usual thing when coming away and wished I’d bought an os map or something to help us out on the walks around the cottage. Any ideas?

scotroutes

The Ordnance Survey app. Pay £20 per year and get the whole of the UK at 1:50k and 1:25k.

Various other apps are also available, many use OSM Mapping with which you might be less familiar

maccruiskeen

just use the Streetmap website – uses OS maps

piemonster

Ordnance Survey app if you need downloads and depending on where you live you might find Maverick or Backcountry Navigator useful as they have paths not marked on OS maps that are marked on open street map (cycle version) although this seems to be more useful in Scotland with different access laws to England/Wales, in Herefordshire/Norfolk over Christmas I only used the OS app.

Using just a web browser would never work for me due to being in poor/no signal areas on a regular basis.

CountZero

UK Map by Phil Endecott is good for footpaths. It uses Free OS mapping, up to 1:10k scale, but the footpath and cycle path info comes from OpenStreetMap.
    https://appsto.re/gb/kvnZv.i
    It’s free, it has downloadable map tiles that you add onto the base map for either 1:25k, 1:10k or both, and it doesn’t need any data or phone connection to use, once you’ve downloaded a tile or tiles to cover the area you’re going to.
    Been using it for years, the only thing is you can’t record routes, but for locating and following footpaths it’s excellent, especially the 1:10k, which shows individual buildings.

slowoldman

Blimey UKMap looks good. I’m downloading it now.

gregsd
    Free Member

I use the free version of BackCountry and set the map source to U.K. OS map from Bing, which gives you 50k & 25k maps. You can download the tiles for offline viewing, as well.

pyranha

When I’ve got wifi, or on work’s internet, i quite like Bing maps – you can switch between OS maps and aerial view, so you can see if the paths exist on the ground. For runs out into the hills, it’s pretty good. I’ve not used it via 4g, so don’t know how quickly it loads.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Is that UKMap only available for i-products? I can’t see it on PlayStore…

CountZero

Is that UKMap only available for i-products? I can’t see it on PlayStore…

I honestly don’t know, I thought it was available for Android as well, but I’ve never had to check.
    Just checked, and I’m afraid it appears to be iDevice-only: http://ukmapapp.com

neilc1881
    Free Member

I recently bought the ‘pro’ version of Maverick for an android phone, hoping to use it as a GPS as it did say you could download tiles and use offline. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to allow this in practice. It works fine on my actual phone (with data connection and a SIM card) but won’t work at all after supposedly downloading tiles from wifi at home on the old (SIMless) phone.
    I’d avoid Maverick if you are likely to be away from a data signal.

footflaps

+1 for OS App. Excellent app and great value given you can download as much as you have memory for and use offline.

Garry_Lager

Backcountry navigator is impressive – OS maps for free. Although I only really use it for easy-ish family walks – not used it in anger for proper navigation where you’d be relying on off-line use.

Don’t understand how they’re circumventing the OS – as serving up legit maps for free isn’t their business model at all. BN shows the classic OS mapping (or as close to as makes no difference), not the OS open or whatever it’s called.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best way to view footpaths on a phone?’ is closed to new replies.