Home Forums Bike Forum Best way to remove heli tape ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best way to remove heli tape ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi crew,

I have done a very poor job of putting heli tape on my bike a week ago so I want to remove it and start again. Are there a few tips to remove it without doing any damage ?

Cheers
    Shaun

eatplants
    Free Member

Warming it with a hairdryer helps

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 warm with hair dryer.

solvent to remove any adhesive residue – WD40 on a rag, or even a polish as most are solvent-based, and you’ll be doing 2 jobs for the price of 1.

trail_rat
    Free Member

remove it with a hairdryer – dont bother applying anymore.

even well/pro applied it looks terrible/worse than a scratched bike after a few muddy rides.

Hateful stuff.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry trail_rat but i have to disagree.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Warm with a hairdryer and use some kind of alcohol on the glue as you lift it up, meths works well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Disagree away . I still die a little bit when i see the tape applied all over the bike and the edges have that telltail brown tinge to them.

Would be fine it if was seamless but its so obvious it looks awful.

I used to do it on my downhill bikes back in 19oatcake when we did empty truck based uplift and the drivers drove like loons.

Never had any reason to do it since as riding never saw that kind of damage….

shaungero
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

Will give the hair dryer a try after work tomorrow, i just don’t want to damage the branding underneath as there are just stickers.
    cheers

shaungero
    Free Member

My last bike had them and you really couldn’t tell as the job was done so well. (not by me)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Having seen a Giant Trance where a cable had worn a groove into the side of the headtube through more than half it’s thickness, I’ll live with a little brown edging (which none of my bikes have BTW).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best way to remove heli tape ?’ is closed to new replies.