Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best spd pedals ?
  • theredchili
    Free Member

Right , after a year or so of riding flats , I want to run spd’s again.I really like the look of crank bros mallet 2’s due to the fact it has both the clips and pins which Shimano doesn’t offer.Problem is the reviews on quality isn’t very good.has anyone got any long term experience on these or recommend a similar type of pedal

Thanks

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Time ROC or ATAC.

/thread

igm

No such thing as best.

I like riding Time (I have dodgy knees).

Others like riding Shimano.

Everyone likes looking at Crank Bros. (allegedly some people like riding them, but I didn’t)

All of which tells you very little.

So in summary, if you like float get Time (the older style curved wire is better than the half octagon), like clickiness and low buying price go Shimano. If brave get Cranks.

theredchili
    Free Member

Are the crank ones really that bad.?anyone using them

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Shimano M530s are great, and very cheap. I got some for £17. The platform is great, engagement is good and you can still easily get out of them.

wishiwascalledsteve

Loving the XT trail pedals so far. Like you, first set of SPDs since returning from flats.

tomhoward

Getonyourbike +1 as a lifelong flat user, got these 2 months ago and really like them!

theredchili
    Free Member

The XT trail pedals do look good and may go with these, but I can’t help thinking the Cranks tick all the boxes ( if they are durable enough)

jonnyrockymountain

Time roc fantastic after shimano

reggiegasket
    Free Member

XT trail here. CB are made of cheese.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Shimano DXs, XTRs and 520s here. DXs are great- you don’t need the pins, just the platform.

I owned Crank Mallets when I lived in Australia during the drought. After 7 months with only 3 days of rain the bearings were shagged. And you can’t even adjust the cleat tension. Avoid.

andyruss
    Free Member

Next to cab pedals you will find the rebuild kits hanging next to them. That is not by chance, avoid like the plague. Shimano are used by every one in our club . Faultless

hambl90
    Free Member

I started out on shimano’s then switched to time rocs ,no regrets.

jonk

Shimano DX and M520’s here. The DX’s are just starting to wobble after 5 years use

uwe-r
    Free Member

Shimano are faultless and plenty of range of pricing, just buy the best ones you can afford.

Pridds

Time X roc’s. Love my Time pedals and these are great
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=84806

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Newer crank brothers are better,especially the Needle and cartridge bearing type.
    Didnt have much luck with the plastic bushings in the older ones

Cletus

My knees have various scars from not being able to unclip from Shimano’s (maybe partly my fault as I did neglect maintenance). Switched to Time approx 10 years ago and loved (and neglected) them ever since. Original set of ATACs are still giving good service and have a few more besides.

BTW I think the pedals with platforms and clipless are pretty pointless – once you get familiar clipping in is second nature and trying to ride unclipped on them is plain scary. Exception may be the one side flat/other side clipless which make sense for pub bikes.

1981miked
    Free Member

I use Crankbrothers candy 2 and can say I have had no problems with them.

igm

I like caged spd type pedals (specifically Time Zs) on longer rides as they do support the shoe (particularly softer shoes) better.

rbrstr
    Free Member

Time carbon roc’s for me, very expensive but ive got 4 years and counting on them and they are still perfect.

andyrm
    Free Member

XT Trail for me too – got them on all my bikes.

Beauty is that they just work, and removing the bearing cartridge to regrease just needs a 17mm spanner, not that stupid plastic tool thing you need for the cheaper ones……..

TiRed

Shimano M324, flat on one side, spd on the other. Best of both worlds, and I have yet to kill one.

Gee76
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Ritchey V5 Pardigms!. Nice and light at about 260g if that’s what your after. Mine have been reliable for over a year now since they improved the bearing design (0ver previous v4’s). Platform is pretty small but depending how much support you get from your shoes that might be fine.

They are also shimano compatible. No silly materials in there so no weight limits and also means cost isn’t hideous either. Under £50 from our German friends.

ratherbeintobago

I ran CB Acids for a while with no probs, but I just didn’t find them all that positive to clip in/out of (often wasn’t sure whether I was actually clipped in). They do have a certain reputation for fragility, but all but the base model eggbeaters/Candies come with a 5y warranty implying they think they’ve fixed this.

Switched to ATACs, which clip in with a nice clunk, and have stood up to a lot of abuse.

New Speedplay SYZRs look good (assuming they are not frantically expensive and actually make it to market) as do the new Look pedals (S-track)

Andy

M6TTF
    Free Member

Running 2 sets of candy c’s for last couple of years and not had to do anything to them. They were only 20 quid a pair in the CRC sale and they’ve been great. Only thing I don’t like is the less than positive click. I’d have time if I was flush. Had some old ATAC and they were brilliant

swamp_boy

Shimanos worked great for me, but after a while my knees didn’t like them. Tried CB Candies but didn’t get on with them, now on Time Atacs which have a nice positive click in and reasonable float.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time. Best clipless pedals out there.

igm

Help. I agree with the flash man.

Don’t get the XS though.

leo72
    Free Member

Shimano DX, XTR and 520. Had two pairs on two bikes of the old 959 XTR for seven years before they were totally worn out. The DX647 is a great pedal, really like the firm feeling thanks to the platform. Just put a pair of 520 on my Cotic Soul for the winter and they are fine too. Lets see if they last seven years… 🙂

stucol
    Free Member

TIME Atac Alium for me. Bombproof, easy clip in and very easy to release in a hurry. Cheap too.

Last for donkeys with no need for re-greasing and will take lots of bashing off rocks.

Much better at not clogging than Shimanos even in wet snow, though it will clog, but what won’t apart from maybe Crank’s.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best spd pedals ?’ is closed to new replies.