Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Best road cycling in the UK?
  • whisky711
    Free Member

Are we allowed to talk about road bikes?

Looking for new places to ride, quiet lanes, well surfaced, hills, views, etc.

Thinking around 75-100 mile rides and/or 1000-2000m climbing. Horseshoe pass? Yorkshire? If you have gpx files too that would be great. 🙂

dantsw13

Where do you live? Down in my part of rural Sussex Thats about my standard ride. Off the main roads I see as many horses as cars!!

epicyclo

Most of Scotland away from Edinburgh or Glasgow.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Mid Wales, around Rhayader or Llandovery/Llyn Brianne area.

jonba
    Free Member

Northumbria is nice. Look at the virgin money cyclone.

Allendale is also great Winking sheep sportive.

Obviously you can ride where you want and when you want but those are two nice routes with some of the best bits.

We don’t have much flat so for 100miles you’d be doing well to find less than 2000m climbing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I must be getting old, or unfit. Well, I suppose I must never have been that fit. For me, a great place to ride has to include lots of options for short non-epic rides. Edge of the Dales works well for us, much better than anywhere else I’ve lived.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Lonely Planet reckons the Isle of Wight is the best place IN THE WORLD! for cycling.

I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s pretty decent for a long weekend if you haven’t already been. The 100km randonee route is well signposted, full of little ups and downs and sublime downland/coastal scenery.

scotroutes

100km? What do you do in the afternoon?

whisky711
    Free Member

Thanks all, some great suggestions.

Ahem…….miles!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

100km? What do you do in the afternoon?

Encase condescending visiting cyclists in wicker and set them alight.

cloudnine
    Free Member

^ 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Peak District, obviously. Then you can bring the mountain bike along for the afternoon after you’ve done your 100 miles

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did a few miles around North Devon and Exmoor recently. Nice down there. Depends what you’re looking for really. Lots of this…

Looking for new places to ride, quiet lanes, well surfaced, hills, views, etc.

Spud

Rather partial to North Wales, roads are lovely and smooth. Always seem quieter too. Plenty of ups and downs. Got a lovely 85-90 loop out of Betws and back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why isn’t there a road equivalent of “the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon”?

whisky711
    Free Member

Even more suggestions, cheers.

Thinking about this

http://www.cyclethedales.org.uk/routes/day-rides/tour-de-france-du-dales/TDF-map-and-description.pdf

75 miles and 1500m of climbing. Spend the afternoon eating chips, etc.

jonba
    Free Member

The road past the windfarms is pretty good. Heading East it is a false flat noramlly with a tailwind which means 30mph can be obtained for miles. Beautiful views at the top that get better as you drop down to the lake. They redid he road with great tarmac replacing the gravel so it is super smooth and it has yet to appear on proper maps or satnavs so you’ll never see a car on it!

Only problem at this time of year is the lambs when they frolic in the road.

t-p26
    Free Member

Dont look at the Virgin money cyclone, its held on pothole filled roads,its not held on closed roads so there are members of the public going about their business and a pack of thoughtless cyclist does nothing for a rural persons temper…especially when they only visit once a year and put nothing into the local economy.
    On a positive note, I can however recommend ANYTHING at the south end of EUROTUNNEL you will not be treated as a second class citizen,infact you will be welcomed with open arms, you wont be getting in anyones way and there are thousands of similar minded people. Oh its the national pastime by all accounts as well.:)

hammy7272
    Free Member

Tour de france from Leeds to Harrogate. Just start and finish in Harrogate and clip off the first part. Amazing route plenty of hills and views.

TiRed

Rural Leicestershire has flowing, quiet roads with good rolling but not brutal contours. The trunk roads take all the traffic. Very pleasant. Devon is great if you like short brutal climbs and stunning countryside. Every ride is a 2% climb!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Check out the http://www.ffestiniog360.com/route for a 100km loop around Snowdon using some of the areas best roads. Its on Sunday the 29th 15quid for a good cause. You can download files from the site also.

jam-bo

Devon is great if you like short brutal climbs and stunning countryside

We’ve got some long brutal climbs as well…

chorlton
    Free Member

Forest of Bowland.

stevious

What epicyclo said.

Some bits of England are nice but Scotland is almost always quieter.

butcher

Yorkshire Dales are nice if you pick a good route, great views too. North York Moors next door are a good call if you want properly brutal climbs where you breathe a sigh of relief at a mere 20% gradient. Lake district is a little busy on the roads for my liking, even on the back lanes, but I dare say wouldn’t bother many.

North Pennines offers lots of good climbing (winking sheep as mentioned, hell of hexham, etc) and some brutal exposure to the weather on the wrong day.

Northumberland offers a vast playground of rolling hills, more gentle than most of the above. (And there are more interesting routes than the cyclone) Same with the Scottish borders, which harbours some of the longest and quietest roads imaginable. Though road surfaces vary wildly.

whisky711
    Free Member

Excellent suggestions all. I’m going to be busy! 😀

BigJohn

A lot of Staffordshire and Shropshire is nice. Especially if you like looking at hedges.

Drac

Why isn’t there a road equivalent of “the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon”?

There’s a car park to the side of it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

2nd the Scottish borders. Around Kelso there’s miles of quiet roads. Car drivers are generally polite too.

Drac

You can easily combine Northumberland and the Borders into a ride.

PaulMcG

Scottish Borders +1

Miles and miles of great roads, tarmac generally OK (though as with everywhere, some bits to avoid). I really don’t know why this area hasn’t become the Majorca of the UK 🙂 (weather excepted!).

Hills – check.
    Flat/Gentle Stuff – check (easy to mix and match hills + flatter sections).
    Views – check.
    Quiet roads – check.
    Local Bike Culture – check.
    Cafe’s – check.

And also a shiny new train link into Edinburgh and the rest of the world…

trailofdestruction
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

There is no ‘best’, there is only good, and lots of it. I could also add (to be different) Shropshire towards Clun and Newtown, or Wiltshire/Hampshire. Yes, you read that right.

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Oxford as a base for road riding, Chilterns down south, White Horse South West, Cotswolds West and North, all lovely areas on quiet roads proper Chocolate box England.

If you want the complete opposite of Oxfordshire then the North East of Scotland and into the Cairngorms will give you some brutal climbs, like Cairn O’Mount and the Lecht.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Loads of varied answers whereas a few weeks ago. Someone asked where the best mtb was and the conclusion appeared to be Surrey – strangely no one has suggested that Surrey is good for road biking!

scud
    Free Member

My area of West Norfolk is stunning for road riding (despite the fact that if you ask anyone they will say it is dead flat as they think everywhere in Norfolk is Fen Land) it has rolling, very quiet roads, where if you pick a good route you can ride 50-100 miles away from any traffic, scenic villages, lots of historic sites and beautiful beaches at Wells, Holkham, Cromer etc for fish and chips.

Plus we have more breweries than any other county now and English Whiskey.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tongue to bonar bridge – via alltnaharra and used to get lunch at crask if you let them know.

still my favorite road in the uk.

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, the Borders are great but there are some very quiet roads further north. The Tour of the Highlands (3 days) and the 3 Pistes combined Sportives are on this weekend. Epic and fabulous riding among and through some real mountains; these routes showcase a lot of what is fab about the eastern half of the Highlands for proper road rides but there is so much more..
    Elsewhere, most folk will have heard of the Bealach na Ba on the fringes of Torridon, a stunning circular route with seafood and chips at the Applecross Inn. However, a little further north beyond Ullapool and Lochinver is the Stoer peninsula & Inchnadamph circuit. That’s the best road ride I’ve ever done. Plus on the way around at Lochinver the Pie Shop is simply amazing. Take your trail bike and a road bike together this far north and you’ll never want to go south again.

epicyclo

highlandman – Member
    …Take your trail bike and a road bike together this far north and you’ll never want to go south again.

South? Where’s that? 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Gotta be somewhere in Scotland.

There’s some great roads in the Lakes. Way way way to much traffic though, even on the dead small roads over the passes. Much better over winter when it’s quiet

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Best road cycling in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.