• This topic has 48 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Best rim protection inserts.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Looking for real world experience of various protection inserts.
    I have only tried rimpact, and whilst I thought they were good value, they did not stop me from destroying my rear rim on some nasty welsh rocks.
    I want to ride more welsh rocks, I like this.
    Who has what, and is it any good?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Bump for vis

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Vittoria Airliner here, very happy protection wise as it’s coped with lots of rough Scottish riding and poor line choice. The Nukeproof ARD I tried was pretty poor in comparison.

I would also be keen to compare a heavier duty tyre with no insert vs Exo and insert weight wise, as it does change the feel having the foam in there.

poah
    Free Member

put more air in your tyres

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

You could try the Rimpact Pro’s….. Personally I’ve not had a problem with the standard Rimpacts over the last 18 months, I’ve just had to replace the rear as I got a flat and rode about a mile on it in the Peaks so there wasn’t much left.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Pro core seems to be the best imo
    Having tried
    Procore
    Rockstop

woody2000

Rimpact with a forekaster on the back of my HT. I’ve smacked some rocks pretty hard without any problems. Maybe yorkshire rocks aren’t as hard as Welsh rocks 😉

More air I reckon as mentioned above

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

It’s not just about the inserts, the wheels make a big difference. Some are made of cheese, others are not.

Rimpacts are good but can only do so much.

zerocool

Some friends recommend Tannus and Vitoria. Never tried them
    Myself

zezaskar
    Free Member

I will have the seemingly unpopular opinion that going up a tier in tyre casing is better than flimsy tyres with inserts.

Was on Maxxis DD with Rimpacts and then Michelin Wild Enduro also with Rimpacts and the inserts only help in a limited amount of situations.
    On Michelin DH34 since January without inserts and much prefer those.

Thing is, by the time you have an insert that protects the rim, avoids burps, etc (and you still have no meaningful protection against cuts) you’re likely on 250g inserts.

z1ppy

STW Overview
    (back from last year)

I’m of the opinion, at least having one is better than not. My rear Rovals finally died after much abuse, one (any) of these would have probably saved it. I went for Nukeproof ARD system, for my rear wheel (gave the other to a m8 for his), so far so good.

continuity
    Free Member

Is there any truth to the rimpact sticht that you have to put an insert in both tyres or you ruin handling? I have two in my big bike, but might just take the front one out and put it in the back of my cross country bike. I’ve never touched a rim on my front; that’s what steering is for!

voodoo-rich

Put a Ratbite insert in the rear-only of 2 bikes here, hardtail and full-sus, no change in handling that i could detect.

oikeith

After seeing this video from Scottish shredder Lewis Buchanan: Linky I’m tempted to give cushcores ago for the rim protection and reduced rolling resistance.

philstone

Is there any truth to the rimpact sticht that you have to put an insert in both tyres or you ruin handling?

I’ve been running one in just the rear for around 18 months. Bike hasn’t tried to kill me yet.

There probably is, but I doubt most of us would ever notice..

5plusn8
    Free Member

I stuck a pin in the board and ordered a set of nukeproofs, if they work I’ll do two bikes with the nukes in the rear and the existing rimpaxt in the fronts,

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m still running a Huck Norris. Has never failed to stop pinch flats and always has dozens of nicks when I replace it each year. Old school design in comparison to the solid profile ones of late, so everyone probably thinks they’re rubbish but they seem to work for me.

jimr80
    Free Member

I have just installed some inserts (rimpacts) and want to know what tyre pressure adjustments do people make who run them make, if any post install?

mattvanders
    Free Member

I’m light at 10.5st and ride mostly in sunny south of England soil but have taken the hardtail with a rimpack in the rear wheel to wales. I would normally run 20psi but have been able to drop down to 15psi even with Welsh trail center trips

jimr80
    Free Member

Matt ,
    Thanks that’s helpful as I run around 20psi normally to so I shall experiment minus a few psi.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there any truth to the rimpact sticht that you have to put an insert in both tyres or you ruin handling?

Depends on the tyres IME.

Exo, yes a bit. Stiffer carcasses, not really.

+1 for Rimpact pro is noticeably tougher – and it’s actually hard to tell when you have a flat.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I used to run a rimpact in the rear with a Hutchinson Griffus, but it didn’t stop a pinch flat on my second ride. I ended up getting a Big Betty in Super Trail casing (no insert) which is heavier overall but has been more reliable for me in the Peaks. So I am in the tougher casing no insert camp at the moment. Plus, if you have to put in a tube, what do you do with the insert covered with sealant?

mattvanders
    Free Member

Forgot to say I run a double down maxis aggressor tyre. Don’t think I would go for an evo caseing but would go evo plus (they don’t make the aggressor in the size I want in evo plus)

continuity
    Free Member

@1timmy1

We’ll ideally you boot the tyre and inflate it tubeless.

If this not a goer, you need to take then insert out, fold it and stick it in yer pack.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Huck Norris, I spend summer riding in the alps & Pyrenees most years, they stop some, but not all rim pinches, cant say I notice they are there, still better to have them than not IMO. Other brands my be better… just dont think about them most off the time, so i’ve never bothered changing them.

kimbers

Anyone tried the Tannus ones?

Reviews seem to love em

https://nsmb.com/articles/tannus-armour-tubeless-inserts-tested/

5plusn8
    Free Member

No but that review does big them up somewhat…

voodoo-rich

If this not a goer, you need to take then insert out, fold it and stick it in yer pack.

been there… another reason for carrying disposable latex gloves with you! carrying a giant soggy foam pretzel made a right mess of my camelbak – wash off the sealant as soon as you can!

asbrooks

I am of the opinion that having one in the rear is beneficial, does it matter what?
    I have been using a DIY insert for the last three years, it protects the rim while allowing me to run the tyres at lower pressures. Typically I run the rear at around 22-25psi depending on where I’m riding. The front wheel I haven’t bothered with but still run it at around 23-27psi.

I am a clumsy rider and tend to crash through stuff and would have no doubt had many pinch flats and dented rims. I have had neither to date. I’m around 84kgs kitted up.

cupotea

I’ve gone from running Maxxis DD with a Huck Norris in the rear to EXO casing with Cushcore front and rear. I’ve only had two outings on them so far but they feel better to me. More supple and seemingly dampened on small stuff. I’m not the hardest or fastest rider but I’m a fan so far and the weight difference between the DD tyres and EXO + Cushcore is negligible.

jedi

i use ratbites. they are awesome but i dont know if they are still going as a company

Akers

I run Rimpact Pro in standard Maxxis EXO casing DHF/DHRII combo. Despite abuse in Finale, the Lakes District and Wales, I’ve not had a single puncture since fitting them 7 months ago. I definitely think the Pro’s are worth the extra over the std Rimpacts that I used previously, but still had 3 pinch flats using. The layer of higher density foam on the Pro’s seems to make the difference.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Pinkbike are testing inserts, worth a look to see what they say.

gkeeffe

I have a rimpact on the rear. Landed badly. Blew the wheel up, pretzelled the rim and broke four spokes coming down Parkamoor. Remarkably The tyre stayed up and the rim edge was undamaged, which I suppose is testament to the insert.

Markie
    Free Member

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-6-best-tire-inserts-2021-ridden-rated.html

Just installed some Cush Core XCs on my wife’s bike – super easy to install which was a bit of a surprise. She hasn’t ridden it since, so can’t comment on anything else!

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’ve found rimpact pretty good so far. Absolutely smashed them on sat and the wheels are both fine. This was running 16/18psi f/r.

randr-photo-5895524-6000px randr-photo-5895503-6000px

andyrm
    Free Member

Nukeproof ARD in the rear with a WTB Tough casing. It’s definitely taken some hits but worked great as no pinches or rim damage. I still run the same pressure 24f/28r) as my aim was for more protection rather than lower pressure for the same protection.

continuity
    Free Member

16/18 is pretty low, I’d get huge amounts of squirming even on my XC bike at 75kg. If you’re not I’d wonder if you have an accurate gauge. Pretty sure last time I saw an article on the xc world cups the 50kg women were running above that!

chakaping
    Free Member

Especially on your XC bike. Thinner tyres are much more squirmy at lower pressures.

Tough carcass tyres can handle low pressures well IME.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’m not riding XC 🙂 Big volume, 29er tyres with tough casings and inserts. I would usually be more like 18/21, but conditions were extremely greasy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Best rim protection inserts.’ is closed to new replies.