Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best presta adaptor for compressor
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Does anyone have advice about the best adaptor to use with tubeless, presta valves and a compressor? I would have thought it would dead easy: Attach the air line, squeeze the trigger, let go at the desired pressure. But no, none of the systems I’ve tried actually achieve this.

I’ve tried a Prestaflator – it comes with a couple of adaptors. The standard one initially seems to do the trick but, infuriatingly, unscrews the valve core without fail. Thus undoing all the hard work of course. It also comes with another push-on adaptor but this fails to seal properly and whilst it seems to inflate OK, won’t give any sort of pressure reading.

Ideally, I think I want a track-pump head (E.g. my Topeak one) somehow attached to the compressor. Any ideas? You can buy the heads separately but I don’t know how you would get it all connected?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Piece-Compressor-Air-Duster-Compressed-Air-Nozzle-Gun-Blower-Tool-Metal/350856079740?_trksid=p2141725.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Dd354ac56410d4a2896f8dd5e26d5b5a6%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D220990433460

Take out the removable core, the rubber nozzle fits nicely inside the presta, and fire away. Will seat tyres perfectly, then quickly pull it away and thread in the valve core. Used one for years.

It’s the best way I’ve found of getting a volume of air quickly into the tyre, which is what you need to seat tyres.

hatter

Park tool INF-1 inflator, not cheap, but job done, had mine for over a year now, dropped it more times than I can count but it’s still going strong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Halfords do a small brass screw on one that screws onto the valve makes it I to Schrader size and operation.

Suggsey
    Free Member

SJS cycles do them too

orangeman5
    Free Member

As above, works great 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have one of those wee brass adapters, pish for seating problem tubeless tyres as it relies on the valve still being fitted, which inhibits the all important volume.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Unscrew the presta valve first then attach the adapter and bingo tyre seated…..of course with lots of good old fairy liquid…other inferior washing up liquids may suffice.

cchris2lou

I use the cheap one above with a 25lt compressor.
    No issue.
    Managed to inflate some non tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims this afternoon.

Got the bits from eBay for £3.

Northwind

I got a cheap car-type inflator, took the end off it, and fitted the valve off my old Joe Blow Sport- works a charm.

Lakes_Puma
    Superficial
    Free Member

I have use one of these, works great

I found that it didn’t when I tried a friend’s, hence the post.

Already have one of these. Works OK, but it’s a bit fiddly, and it has the same problem as the prestaflator – it unscrews your valve core.

I think Northwind has it right. My solution after a bit of playing around:

The pressure gun from one of these sets:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARKE-5PC-AIR-TOOL-SPRAY-KIT-SPRAY-GUN-WASH-GUN-BLOW-GUN-TYRE-INFLATOR-HOSE-/400842729722?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item5d5416a8fa

+

Topeak Joe Blow head
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/topeak-topeak-joe-blow-twinhead-w-o-hose-prod28683/?geoc=us

Use the rubber hose from the Clark’s kit, cut the schraeder adaptor off and stick the Joe Blow one on instead. Only minor modification / hose trimming needed. I actually need to shorten the hose a bit to (theoretically) improve flow rate but all told I’m very impressed. Very secure fit, it takes a pressure reading, doesn’t leak. All good – it actually works better than the Prestaflator and costs less, plus you get all the other tools for free.

(As a slight aside, mainly for anyone who stumbles across this topic – the thread on the Joe Blow pump head is actually the same as all of the air hose fixtures (1/4″ BSP). So it’ll simply thread directly onto many of the compressor’s fixtures. I just didn’t have quite the right combination of parts for this, so I butchered the schraeder tube instead.)

Northwind

Ah, does that joe blow head come with the thready nutty thing as well? Not pictured…

I tried threading a 1/4 BSP female straight onto a joe blow but it was very leaky, didn’t put a lot of effort into it though- bit of sealant might have sorted it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve got what superficial’s got, with the Joe Blow head and airline. Works a treat.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m actually not sure if that topeak head comes with the threaded collar. I assume it does since you can’t really use it without. I just pinched the one from my track pump for now (eplacement on its way).

singlespeedstu

I use the same idea as nobeer up there.
    Exept i use a bit of old trackpump hose.
    One end pushed onto the blowgun, the other end pushed onto the valve.
    I leave the valve in if just inflating or remove it it tubelessing.

Works better than any of the adaptors I’ve tried.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best presta adaptor for compressor’ is closed to new replies.