Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Best place to live for biking – MTB & Darkside
  • RepacK
    Free Member

Ive had enough of London & the SE – its sh1te for biking & cr@p for enjoying the Great Outdoors. The flip side is if its happening, its happening in London (not saying anywhere else doesnt have its own hip scene but our nations Capital does have a certain pizazz other places dont). I like the buzz of a city but would love to be able to access fresh air a little more easily but still not end up living with a bunch or rednex..Where on God’s luvverrrllyy planet should I go? Where would you go?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh. Nowt like it – itsw a capital city so has that buzz. Not as friendly ans wegiestan tho. Easy access by bike to some offroading. an hours drive takes you to more MTBing than you can shake a stick at, a couple of hours drive and you are right in the mountains

hopster
    Free Member

Bristol. You have the local trails over in Ashton court, Leigh woods etc.. then the Mendips, Cotswolds, Qunatocks, Exmoor, South Wales, Mid Wales all within a two hour drive.

Loads going on music wise and lots of brilliant restaurants. If you need to visit mates in the SE it isn’t that far away.

uplink
    Free Member

crazy-legs

Manchester is good for city stuff, easy access to the outdoors (Peaks, Lakes, North Wales, Calderdale) and central location for access to lots of places – Dartmoor is a 4hr drive, Glentress is the same.

alexpalacefan

What’s all this 4hr drive nonsense. I’m 10 min to the middle of Sheffield on the hack bike in one direction, 20 min in the car to the Peak.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

wegiestan = what???

Sancho
    Free Member

Leeds is where its at, a compact city centre with masses of bars restaurants etc, and woodland trails 5 minutes from the city centre, plus theres the dales and north york moors, but its the local woodland trails within the city that are best.

fotorat
    Free Member

Swindon

within 20 mins on a mtb from town centre you are on top of the
    Marlborough downs or in a car 1hour to Brecon.

Bristol is great too, but the Marlborough downs will take some beating in the South West!

RepacK
    Free Member

Hmmm I think Scotland wld be too cold & oh way too dark in the Winter! Bristol sounds good..What about further afield? Somewhere a little warmer? With a few 8) 8) 8) perhaps?

crazy-legs

What’s all this 4hr drive nonsense.

I’m simply saying that access to either end of the country is only 4-5hrs drive while there’s plenty of riding close by. I like living fairly centrally.

CaptJon
    Free Member

San Francisco – Marin County is a bridge away.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Lake District?

I usually cycle from my door to Grizedale forest, but theres lots of good riding all over the spot.

However, theres no ‘hip’ scenes to speak of (hipsters are all bellends anyway arent they?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

wegiestan = what???

Glasgow – sorry

Sheffield is next after Edinburgh. Not such a nice city but not bad, good riding from your doorstep. A long way to trailcentres tho

I used to live in manchester and I would say iyt is poor. The urban sprawl is huge so it is hard to cycle out of it to find countryside

Bunnyhop

Second Manchester.
    Loads of trendy, hip places ( which I never visit but have heard about).
    The lovely Cheshire country lanes for roadies.
    The hills of Rivi and there’s loads of off road stuff near us in Stockport, 11 miles away.
    Just done an evening ride ( in the Peaks)with the girlies, the trails are dry and dusty-whoop, whoop.

Bunnyhop

T.J was that before the bomb?

boxelder

Not the Lakes – great riding and scene but we don’t want this sort of rubbish:

not end up living with a bunch or rednex

CaptJon
    Free Member

Glasgow – sorry

Sheffield is next after Edinburgh. Not such a nice city but not bad, good riding from your doorstep. A long way to trailcentres tho

I used to live in manchester and I would say iyt is poor. The urban sprawl is huge so it is hard to cycle out of it to find countryside

You say that like it is a bad thing.

RepacK
    Free Member

Box – chill dude..No insult intended ok?

proteus
    Free Member

TandemJeremy wrote
    Not as friendly ans wegiestan tho.
    um, what are you getting at with that exactly? feel free to ***k off. idiot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – before and after 🙂 I was there 10 yrs.

Manchester -The urban sprawl is just huge. I can cycle anywhere in Edinburgh within 40 mins and be in fields in 15 mins by cycle. real countryside with hills and stuff in less than an hour and I live right on the North of the city in Leith.

Repack – Edinburgh has nmore sunshine than almost anywhere in the UK. East coast and a microclimate. Ok so its often a cold easterly wind with it. As for darkness – its made up for by the summer. 22 hours of daylight. I have just put the house lights on now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Proteus – just and Edinburgh / Glasgow rivalry joke that misfired – chill man! I lived in Glasgow as well and I think they are the friendliest folk around.

Driller
    Free Member

Bristol is a great place to ride, but the worst place to own a bike right now, if you want to keep hold of it.

endlessride
    Free Member

I used to live in Bradford and was surrounded by some great riding, I’ve been in the Chablais, Haute Savoie, 10 years now and prefer it to Bradford, winter and summer, socially etc I think Bradford had better curries though. Some pictures and stuff here.

djglover
    Free Member

LOL at Swindon and Leeds

Dull middle of the road and nowhere near the action in terms of culture of cycling

clubber
    Free Member

Another vote for Bristol from a Londoner who made the move 6 years ago.

I didn’t want to live in the sticks but also wanted to have the good things cities offer. Bristol has it all and is great for riding. Mtbing is a 15 min ride away and Wales, mendips, etc are all close for a change of scene. For the road, it’s excellent. Out on country roads in 10 mins and you can mix and match flat or hilly to suit.

I can’t recommend it enough.

boxelder

I think you misjudged the tone of my post.
    I’m not turning MrAngry, just that it sounds like you’re best off where you are, unless you’ve a liking of moonshine, chewing bacca and squeeling pigs.
    No misjudging proteus though!

terrahawk
    Free Member

you really didn’t bother looking around much did you?

snowslave

Manchester of course

joemarshall
    Free Member

Christchurch

riding like this http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand.co.nz/2009/05/01/last-of-the-summer-mountain-biking-craigieburn/

It’s hardly a city though is it? And for ‘culture’, you have to like small NZ bands, artists etc. as nothing else ever comes there.

In England, Sheffield is the obvious place, although like all provincial cities, it doesn’t have the same level of culture as London, but you have to compromise that to get the outdoorsy stuff.

Personally, I gave up compromising, and am now living in Derbyshire (Belper to be exact). Yes I have to travel for any decent culture, but that was the same when I lived in Nottingham, and here my nearest decent ride starts approximately 10 minutes on a bike away.

Joe

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

SWANSEA!!!!!!!!
    it has a beach…good night life…and 3 brillient trail centres close by and kilvey hill in swansea…only downside is the welsh…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

terrahawk – Member

you really didn’t bother looking around much did you?

Actually I did – I lived there ten years, cycling all that time. I lived in whalley range. there was not much decent riding without driving that I could find. From where I was only the south was at all accessible within riding distance. A bit in Cheshire and a bit around the Goyt (?) valley and that way. Nothing like what I have available here in Edinburgh.

From my house here in Leith I can go south, east or west all offroad out into the countryside within less than an hour cycling without going on roads. I couldn’t do that from Whalley Range.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Charlie, are you over here in the uk now?

Scotland, has it all. I’m in Fife, just over the Forth from Edinburgh. There are miles and miles of trails from my doorstep, and many more still to find. An hour and I’m in Pitlochry, another 45 mins and Aviemore in the middle of the Cairngorms.

Dark nights in winter mean longer night rides. Flip side in summer means it stays light longer too.

Jacqui P has been to stay, come up, you’ll love it.

MC

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Come on, BOULDER, COLORADO cannot be beaten! why do you think the IMBA are based there, along with a load of pro race teams! I can ride 28 miles of singletrack from town alone! 300 days of sunshine and its a ‘real’ city to boot….

RepacK
    Free Member

Nice one Box but prefer Single Malt! TJ really? Wow..But surely come the Winter its dark early or have I got it all back 2 front?

San Fran would be great but its a hell of a long way from the Motherland..Im thinking the Alps – maybe the Pyrenees? Barcelona? Or the Alps? Nr Geneva?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do we have two Repacks on here? One is Charlie Kelly of Fat Tyre Flyer fame. Seems there is one in London too.

druidh
    Free Member

Kitz_Chris – Member

Come on, BOULDER, COLORADO cannot be beaten! why do you think the IMBA are based there, along with a load of pro race teams! I can ride 28 miles of singletrack from town alone! 300 days of sunshine and its a ‘real’ city to boot….

Wow! 28 whole miles of Singletrack…..

druidh
    Free Member

Anyroadup – forget Scotchland. It’s rainy and cold. It gets dark early in the winter, there’s no culture unless you like banging heads together after an old firm match. The roads are full of potholes. There’s no bridleays. Life expectancy is crap and it’s full of spongers living off the generosity of their southern neighbours.

zaskar
    Free Member

So far I found Bristol great for local technical training trails, close to Wales and Road Riding is a roadies dream!

Also the people in Bristol are either really friendly or don’t want to speak at all.

Luckily most of the riders are friendly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Best place to live for biking – MTB & Darkside’ is closed to new replies.