Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best pedals for a knackered knee?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Currently using XT clips, previously used Egg Beaters and they definitely had more float which helped but very little platform and felt less stable.

My knee is goosed and shall remain so, does anyone have any recommendations?

mtbel
    Free Member

Flats and non stealth rubber soled shoes.

thorpey0
    Free Member

I would much prefer clips, cheers though

Esme
    Free Member

And shorter cranks, perhaps?

sandal100

I have one wonky knee and like the mallet dh pedals, good float and a wider Q factor meant I could get my cleats in a good position to keep the wonky one happy! Pricey but little things like the two cleats having different release angles meant on my bad knee I could get out easier than my good knee.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Have a look at Speedplay Frogs – massive range of float & very “free” feel to the float.

warpcow
    Free Member

My knees aren’t exactly knackered (not entirely healthy either), but they definitely prefer Time pedals over Shimano. Shorter cranks (175->170)also felt like they might have made a difference, but not 100% sure.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Looking at the Mallet’s. I did like the float on the egg beaters, do the mallets have the same amount of float? With being over 6′ and having long legs I have 175 cranks, why would shorter cranks make a difference?
    Will look at the Frogs

Suggsey
    Free Member

Time DH/Strong pedals have big platform and the usual Time Float and easier release than shimano plus longevity over Crank Brothers offerings.

sandal100

I think both mallets and egg beaters have 6 degrees of float.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve got knackered knees and tried Crank Brothers pedals because of the extra float.
    Rode fifty yards before the pain got so bad I had to get off.
    As above, Five Tens or the like, and good grippy flats.
    The main thing that helps me is forever being able to move my feet to different positions.

rickmeister

the Time cleats just replaced have options of 7 and 13 (I think), degrees float before release depending on which way you fit them….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best pedals for a knackered knee?’ is closed to new replies.