Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best Odour Free Base Layers
  • excitable1
    Free Member

For the warmer months I usually head up to Sports Direct and pick up a few of the really Cheap Nike Combat base layers they have in their their forever sale, but after just a few rides and washes they develop a stink that can’t be rid.

Can anyone recommend anything else thats just as cheap but better in the odour control department ?

Cheers

squoglybob
    Free Member

HOWIES ones but they aren’t Sports Direct prices.

ENDURA Baa Baaaaa ones also remain odour free for multiple rides and smell new once washed.

Basically anything Merino as i’m sure you know Man Made fibres trap the bacteria which stinks.

Try to buy when the sale is on but still not Sports direct prices, so its stink or get your hand in your pocket.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

As posted above you need Merino.
    The best base layers I use aren’t cheap but they’re excellent,never heard a bad word about them,my favourite piece of outdoor clothing;
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/MER/SUB

bruneep
    bros
    Free Member

+1 for Merino. I bought an “Icebreaker” in 2008 and I’ve used it for everything and it never ever smells of anything. Walked 200 miles in it over 2 weeks without washing it and it never smelled bad (even if I did).

Downside is they’re not cheap, but much better economy than repeat buying nylon crap

MoreCashThanDash

I prefer bamboo stuff to merino. I don’t like smelling of wet sheep, makes life complicated in Derbyshire.

Bamboo Clothing Co (?) do nice stuff. Aldi occasionally do bamboo base layers as well.

rene59
    Free Member

Wash your tops in Halo

This. Halo actually does work. Even on smelly helly hanson stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Halo is the answer.

excitable1
    Free Member

Cheers all, I appreciate Merino (or bamboo) is better for stink free and I use merino base layers in the winter. Just thought they might be a bit warm outside of winter ?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I picked up a LS Merino base layer from Decathlon (think it might have been by Icebreaker not Quechua ) a couple of years ago.
    Its lasted 2 winters of commuting, its starting to show its age as a few holes have started to appear but I reckon it could last another winter, cost me about £20.
    The Rapha merino baselayer I picked up in their sale for £40 a few months ago is a very nice bit of kit, though I only pay sale prices for Rapha stuff.

mos

Merino is warm and smell free but once you’ve sweated into it, it becomes soggy and very uncomfortable. So much so that if I’m out longer than 3 hours I have to take a spare one as I lose so much heat.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’m definately trying the Halo Suff,
    Thanks

antigee

rene59 – Member
    Halo actually does work. Even on smelly helly hanson stuff

that is actually quite some claim 8)

recently been using some craft stuff and def will be buying again, impressed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best Odour Free Base Layers’ is closed to new replies.