Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best lightweight wheelset for around 300 quid?
  • argee

I’m looking at getting a set of wheels to use on the hardtail for XC stuff, and also some commuting, and would like something light, but capable of doing normal XC stuffs like red trails without needing truing after every ride.

So what’s on the market these days, i see a few from easton, roval, fulcrum that seem to do the job, as well as mavic, i’ve always found mavics factory wheels good as they seem to be the easiest to get tyres on and off, and keep true for a long time, but are others better?

I’ve got around 300 quid for a set, not too bothered about either buying new or secondhand if there’s a set that you’d advise i keep an eye out for.

Northwind

Should be able to get a lot of decent, used options in htere- big fan of my roval traversees (model that became the EL), they’re sub-1600g, tubeless ready, have DT240 hub internals, and they’re tough enough… I’ve beaten one set pretty much to bits but it took 3 years, and a fair bit of riding that was just above their paygrade so I don’t object at all. Downside is the straight pull spokes aren’t the easiest to get hold of, you can get them from Specialized but they’re slow to come.

Like my fulcrums but parts availability is not too hot (as far as I can tell you can’t get the spokes for my wheels in the UK, and Fulcrum customer service simply does not exist)

ianfitz
    Free Member

Or if buying new – STW stock answer number 3a = crests on hope hubs

argee

The Roval ELs look good, but can’t find any under 300, hope hubs on crests are an option, although i’d probably look at something else rim wise, as i’m not running tubless, and the tightness of these rims can be a pain, especially if the benefit isn’t being used fully.

nickdavies

Spotted a couple of pairs of Rovals on Cyclesurgery’s clearance page earlier if it’s any use to you:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/wheels/sale/fcp-category/list

EL’s over £300 but AL’s are £260.

Rovals are made of cheese – avoid unless you have 100PSI in your tyres/are a mincer.

mboy
    Free Member

Roval Traverse’s are ace wheels. Had a set for a couple of years, rode them a lot, stood up to everything very well. If you find a pair for a good price (sold mine for a LOT less than your budget) you won’t regret it. Would have kept them but have gone 29er now!

danielgroves
    Free Member

Exactly what I was going to say, and with hope being hope it’ll be a piece of piss to get spares should you ever need them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

crests on hope hubs

Exactly what I was going to say, and with hope being hope it’ll be a piece of piss to get spares should you ever need them.

+1

Although there are other rim choices available. I’ve got 3 sets of Stans rims, but always have in the back of my mind that they’re lightweight eyelet-less rims. You’re paying for lightweight not necessarily long lasting.

Northwind

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Rovals are made of cheese – avoid unless you have 100PSI in your tyres/are a mincer.

They’re stronger than Crests 😕 (the rim actually has quite a lot of metal in it)

Euro
    Free Member

I’m not so sure. Mine are made from alloy and have been faultless. 35ish psi and i only mince on the dancefloor 😀

I’ve been riding MTB’s for 20 odd years and only replaced the Mavic rims on my HT when they wore through (V brakes). Had a set of Roval Traversee on my Enduro and the rear didn’t last more than a couple of months. The front didn’t fare much better, but is still rideable (just). Back to Mavic on Hope with no issues.

jonba
    Free Member

ianfitz – Member

+1

Northwind

Was that the aftermarket-spec ones or OEM? Specialized stuck the Roval name on all sorts of stuff, some good, some not so good.

Having said that, you’d be a bit brave putting a 1550g alu wheelset on an enduro anyway, no matter the brand. Goes without saying that you’re not comparing like with like since your Mavic/Hopes are in a different weight class…

pymwymis
    Free Member

American Classic second hand. I’ve had 2 sets off eBay. One for £300 the other for £200 absolute bargain and top quality.

Was that the aftermarket-spec ones or OEM? Specialized stuck the Roval name on all sorts of stuff, some good, some not so good.

Having said that, you’d be a bit brave putting a 1550g alu wheelset on an enduro anyway, no matter the brand. Goes without saying that you’re not comparing like with like since your Mavic/Hopes are in a different weight class…

I bought them aftermarket for my self-build – but because they were specced on the off the peg S-Works also (and stupid 25mm front hub). I know I’m comparing different stuff, but I’ve seen so many people bigging these rims up and yes, they are light, but they are far from strong. Just saying.

Re-badged DT anyway IIRC

Northwind

Re-badged DT anyway IIRC

The OEM might be, the proper ones aren’t. DT internals and spokes is all.

The OP isn’t looking for a burly wheelset for a 160mm bike, he’s after something light for an xc bike doing red trails.

njee20
    Free Member

I had some Controle SLs, and they were ok, but no better. Bearings didn’t last in the front and they dented easily. Find my Podium rims more durable, and they weigh a chunk less. XC717s were more prone to denting than the Stan’s rims for that matter.

I’d check out any special offers ActionSports.de have on, they sometimes have good specials on. Otherwise Hope Hoops on Crests.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best lightweight wheelset for around 300 quid?’ is closed to new replies.