Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Best lights?
  • z1ppy

the P7 is a mash of torch and battery pack. Hardly what i’d like to recieve as a present!

I could not disagree more, but thats what these threads & all of the above posts are all about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

except the op asked for it specfically to NOT include DIY /homebrew stuff

As a present, so not home brew

ourkidsam
    Free Member

P7 sounds like the way to go, though I don’t want to be drilling it before giving it to someone.

Torch, mount, charger and a few batteries so they can be changed when it runs out would be cool non?

z1ppy

JY 🙄 how can you call a torch a homebrew kit?

Ourkidsame, troutferret’s extra kit could alway be purchase afterwards, if he need to extend the capabilities, none of my m8’s require it’s use for a ‘normal’ 1-2hr nightride.

Do be aware that it can take 2-4 week to come through from Dealextreme (they are in HongKong and it’s free post), just bear that in mind if you need it soon. Otherwise some ppl are selling them off on the classifieds if you need it quicker than that though.

Northwind

Nothing homebrew about a torch solution, that’s just nonsense. Though it’s nice to see a new excuse for not buying a torch, instead of the usual tired nonsense 😉 Why on earth would anyone still recommend a Joystick? It’s basically just a far more expensive, far less bright torch that happens to be marketed as a bike light.

Buy a pair of P7s and a couple of spare batteries, at this price Nothing else short of the super-lights make any sense at all any more. A pair out-beams most proper lights, and costs about 1/3 as much as anything which can match them. (A mate of mine runs a set of Ayups and a Seca, and he has me beat, with his

Sure, you have to swap batteries every hour and ten or so on full power, if you don’t get a battery pack, which to hear some people speak is the end of the world… It takes 20 seconds to change battery, it is no hardship at all, especially since you’ll generally be stopping from time to time anyway. But in return, you get unlimited ride span- if you decide to keep riding all night at full power, all you need is some more batteries. And of course, if you want you can get the packs and mod your lights for over 4 hours run time on full power, which is pretty much class leading

People talk about how great Ayup and Hope’s customer service is. TBH great customer service would be updating their ranges with better emitters throughout, not selling you outmoded stock for a premium price. Other than the poor output they have great products, and as soon as they do catch up they’ll be well worth buying again, but right now they’re just awful value for money.

bakey

My P7 worked brilliantly during the ELBNO last weekend. I had it on the bars with a L2D on my lid; unfortunately the lockblocks mount failed and I ended up wearing one torch, the P7, on my helmet for the rest of the event. Absolutely no problems and it was as bright, if not brighter, than most of the other lights.

Great value indeed, although I can absolutely see the elegance of bike specific lights rather than ‘some old torch strapped to the bars’

Now, can anyone suggest a better bar mounting for the P7…

Northwind

This is mine…

Well, those are the tesco torches on my commuter but I use one the same for the P7. Obviously they’re both as rough as ****, I could make them nicer but I can’t really see any point. If you want a completely solid mounting, then 2 jubilee clips is as strong as you’ll get, but hard to adjust. The quick releases are from CRC,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29580

I reckon the Joystick mounts could be adapted easily for torches, for anyone who wants a professional looking mount, but this will give you a mount that’s as good as any you’ll find with a proper bike light, easy to fit and completely solid.

Inzane
    Free Member

I love the nightlightning light I have got.

Pretty crap website, but great friendly service and a fantastic product
    http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/endurenz%20details.htm

Just email them for a price to send it to the UK.
    ($399 NZ is probably about 150 pounds…)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If someone bought me a p7 torch for a gift, i would be really disappointed. its a lousy present. It don’t matter if its the greatest light out there, its not a bike specific lighting system. its a torch

Hope Vision 2 would be a good gift.

valley
    Free Member

Irun a Hope 2 on the bars,Light&motion Stella on the helmet well impressed granted it’s over £300 worth but i don’t have to carry extra batteries & hold up my mate’s every hr to change batterie’s 😀

swoosh
    Free Member

I reckon the Joystick mounts could be adapted easily for torches, for anyone who wants a professional looking mount, but this will give you a mount that’s as good as any you’ll find with a proper bike light, easy to fit and completely solid.

I’ve done this with my helmet mounted Tesco torch. needed a small amount of elecy tape to keep it a tight fit but since it went on not had an issue with it. i wanted this as i wanted a mount that was specifically designed for a helmet and the joystick is just right. ideal i would say. including 2nd hand mount, batteries and charger, the helmet mounted torch cost me <£30. thats nearly 1/5th the cost of a joystick.

why pay more

imho of course!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Irun a Hope 2 on the bars,Light&motion Stella on the helmet well impressed granted it’s over £300 worth but i don’t have to carry extra batteries & hold up my mate’s every hr to change batterie’s

If you were a bit quicker you’d already be waiting for your mates to catch up while you change your battery?

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

mboy
    Free Member

If someone bought me a p7 torch for a gift, i would be really disappointed. its a lousy present.

My God some people are total ingrates!

If someone bought me a P7 torch, I’d be bloody chuffed! Even if I didn’t use it on a bike or anything, just as a nice torch to have to keep in the car, or round the house etc. The torch with a couple of batteries and a charger is £40 or so FFS! How much do you “expect” to be spent on a present for you by anybody?

But then it’s been a bloody while since anybody bought me anything at all so maybe I’d just be grateful of anything! 😉

lowey

For that money, I;d be giving Mr Trout a call. I will be when my hid eventually packs up.

Those things pump out enormous amounts of light!!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-thing-of-beauty-for-the-diy-light-builder

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Best lights?’ is closed to new replies.