Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Best helmet for sweaty baldy
  • speccyguy
    Free Member

Per subject really. I’m a sweaty baldy man and the biggest problem I have when riding is sweat running into my eyes..

Which helmet is best for sweat capture? Or should I be using some kind of wicking skull cap under any old helmet?

Thanks in advance for any tips

perchypanther
    Free Member

Grow yourself one of these bad boys.

Nipper99
    Free Member

usually a thin buff works for me.

zippykona

Get a McEnroe sweat band. Cut it in half ,sew some Velcro on it ,remove the useless one in your helmet and a fix.
    Easy to chuck a n the washing machine as well. I also have a skull cap and the sweat band is a lot more efficient.
    As an aside the elder baldies in my family who served in Cyprus are now having some really nasty cancer growths removed from their heads on a regular basis. I’m not sure how much sun gets through a helmet but I’ve now taken to wearing a skull cap under my helmet on longer rides.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Bluegrass Goldeneyes has a gel/rubber insert that rests on your forehead. This channels the sweat from running down the front of your face.

Same one as in the Met Parachute full face.

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Thin buff every ride for me. As well as stopping the sweat running, it also stops the helmet smelling afterwards

swhoward

Thin buff every time for me too.

warpcow
    Free Member

I got a Bluegrass to try and combat this (not just for that reason, but I chose the Goldeneyes in particular because of this), having used various sorts of sweatbands in the past. Unfortunately I found the gel pad to be really uncomfortable, creating painful pressure points that just weren’t there with a more traditional fabric/foam pad. I’ve changed the pad for a sweatband sort of thing like zippykona describes and it feels much better. I occasionally use a buff, but find them too warm and uncomfortable when it’s hot out.

superfli
    Free Member

Urge all mountain has a thick pad at the front. It soaks up the sweat very well. Then just squeeze it against your head to release the deluge

coatesy
    Free Member

Plain cotton bandana or headband depending on the temperature here.

Wookster

Try one of these? good bit of kit, and still leaves your head bare under your lid?

40mpg

Never leave home without a buff, summer or winter. Great for moisture control, keeps the sun off (tiger stripes on my baldy bonce are not becoming), wicking effect helps cooling my sweaty bonce, and the bugs don’t bite through it!

Harry_the_Spider

Thin Buff for me too.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I tried a Halo a year or so ago but the amount I sweat was too much for it. 😕

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Why not use a decent Road helmet with plenty of vents?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too am a sweating baldie heed! I use Halos normal conditions the bandana version and cold I have the cap that covers the delicate lug holes. The basic headband version I can overwhelm with sweat too but the bandana soaks it up and evaporates it at source and if it gets soaking it drips off the bandana tails.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Buff. Or smear vaseline along the top of each eyebrow, it’ll deflect the sweat away from your eyes.

Kuco

A good buff under the helmet always works for me.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I use a Bell Super 2 which keeps yer bonce cool and vented enough, and I add a buff when its too hot.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I once rode with a chap how used a length of aquarium hose across his forehead. In actual fact it was a sweat gutter.

Yes. It’s an actual thing.

http://www.sweatgutr.com/sports/

dickie
    Free Member

Halo Head Band works for me.

scaredypants

I bought one of those gutrs – never learned to love it

Ioneonic

Botox works very well for sweating. Seriously. Seems OTT but for severe situations it is very effective. Quite expensive though.

speccyguy
    Free Member

Thanks for most of the replies.

Looks like I’ll be giving the Halo products a try before I resort to surgery or disfiguration. Although the vaseline idea will get a trial first this evening

As a baldy I’m accustomed to never being further than 6ft from a buff but I’ve never had any success with sweat management from them. I’ve trimmed them to just a band, doubled them up, tripled them but they never cope for longer than an hour. And 99% of my riding is deep in forests so airflow isn’t a solution.

Still vaguely surprised that none of the big helmet manufacturers have a baldy-man liner version… there’s more than a few potential purchasers around

binners

stevied
    Free Member

I find the MET sweat thingy works really well. Seems to keep all of the drips out of my face..

pictonroad

nothing works.

I have a met helmet that has a silicon strip instead of an absorbent liner, it’s ok but even that gets overwhelmed. Tried a gutr, buffs, the lot.

It’s annoying as I can’t wear sunglasses.

alexpalacefan

Get a Buff. Cut it into 3 equal bands.
    When one is sodden, replace.
    But here’s the secret…
    Loop the sodden ones through a pack fastening and they will dry in no-time, ready to be used later in the ride.

APF

nedrapier

ladies’ panty liner?

Not sure I’d resort to that, but I’ve heard it’s very effective, if you can get your head around it. So to speak.

soulwood
    Free Member

I have become, over the years sweaty baldy. I have had rides ruined by sweat in my eyes and have tried headbands and buff. Headbands gave me a headache. Buff was good but there’s just too much of it and creates hotspots under the helmet. For me the winner is the sweathawg, from America so you have to pay for shipping and tax, but it’s simply solved the problem. I have the XL version and have had to adjust the pads in my helmet but it just works. One hour of work before you start to notice drips and you can stop, remove, wring it out and continue. I know it sounds like a bad advert but I never leave home without it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Halos never worked for me. They stave off the sweat a little longer and then become saturated and require wringing out every 10mins. Sweatgutrs work really, really well if you can get them to fit under a helmet properly, which isn’t always easy. I now use a knock-off version that has a better strap.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cycling caps are the biz – the cap soaks up the sweat into the peak where it evaporates. I have several freebies from visits to TdF and have bought a few others over the years. On One / Planet X have a great selection.

wombat

What about one of these?

The helmet could be worn over it…

Eye Shield

speccyguy
    Free Member

I’ve called myself a cyclist for 3 decades and have never worn a cycling cap before now.

Not perfect but very much better than anything else I’ve tried!

What other gems aren’t those roadies telling us?

jam-bo

I’ve just replaced a tired old hex with a new montaro. The new style pads seem really effective.

Why not use a decent Road helmet with plenty of vents?

Perhaps the OP doesn’t want to look like a complete t***? 😉

Kamakazie

Also might be worth looking at the Urge endur-o-matic as I think that had the same day band as the all mountain.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the Urge AM – and the squeeze technique when you come to a stop

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Best helmet for sweaty baldy’ is closed to new replies.