Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best GPS for long off road ride navigation, SDW in a day etc.
  • DaveBro
    Free Member

Hello, still trying to find a ‘big goal’ following the demise of the K100, so I am considering the South Downs way in a day, the Bear Bones 200, west highland way etc: I don’t know these routes and don’t want to keep stopping to refer to maps, so I have been looking at GPS units for navigation, I would appreciate any guidance on a GPS that you can load a route, and when riding you can check that you are on the correct course, when you have to turn, which junction to take etc with minimal fuss and ideally without slowing down too much.

dobo
    Free Member

garmin 705 would be easy enough to just follow the route on the map, the directions are a bit hit and miss but not needed to follow a line on a map. but i dont think the battery would last on the whole sdw unless you are really fast! interested to hear what others have used on sdw.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have a 705 battery lasts forever. I can go weeks without charging it. Don’t have the backlight on as it’s not really needed. Regularly use it on all day rides.

CraigW
    Free Member

Something like the Garmin Etrex 20. Its pretty good for navigation, you can load maps on it. It uses 2 AA batteries, which should last about 24 hours, you can carry a few spares if necessary.

Or the Garmin Dakota or Oregon are similar things, but with touch screens(and a bit shorter battery life).

marvincooper

I’ve used a Garmin Dakota 10 for this, takes 2xAAs which last 15 hours plus if you go for high capacity rechargeables. It’s a great simple GPS.

johnnystorm

Garmin Dakota 20 for ~£150 and full genuine Garmin OS 1:50 maps from ioffer.com import your gpx files and away you go. 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

I doubt the maps from ioffer are genuine.

DaveBro
    Free Member

Thank you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS for long off road ride navigation, SDW in a day etc.’ is closed to new replies.