Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best gears config for a Cotic Soul Mk1
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice, I’m pretty new to MTB’ing and have been having fun on an inbred SS but I’d now like to try some gears (not fit enough for those hills!)

I got myself an old Cotic Soul MK1 frame and was hoping to run it 1×11 but after reading some old posts perhaps this isn’t the best rig for this frame/bike.

I know squat about gears so was hoping I could get some opinions and advice on the best setup, what to buy and what to avoid/watch out for?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I range 11sp will work fine on most mtb’s. Divide the front by back for the ratios of your possible extremes. It does of course depend on what where and how you ride.

jekkyl

Very subjective question and one that doesn’t quite make sense as the bike does not limit what gears you want. (not for the soul at least) Fit whatever you want/can afford. 3×9 stuff is very cheap and doesn’t limit any riding I do. If you don’t want the ‘faff’ of a front mech then don’t fit one.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Subjective for sure, I read about some people having chain line troubles with the bike on a 1xX configuration making me wonder if it was better suited to 2/3xX? I like the idea (less faff) of 1×11, especially coming from SS which I like for it’s simplicity. As to what/how I ride (apart from badly) I’m not really sure as I’m just finding my feet.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What Jekyl says. As an aside I have 3×9 on one bike and removed the large ring so cut down the top emd quite a lot and really its only on downhill road sections I find I run out of gears and at that point I am happy to just roll and take a breather. My only issues with 1×11 are what’s the lowest gear (use that a lot so can’t be higher than other setups) and cost.

Have fun on the Soul, great choice

epicsteve
    Free Member

My Mk1 Soul is still on 3 x 9. I run 2 x 9 on a couple of bikes but like having the big ring on the Soul (and the same with my Epic) as I tend to ride it faster on the flat stuff so use the big ring more.

If I was building it again now though I’d certainly consider 1 x 11 – can’t see any good reason not to.

core

I’d go for a wide range of gears, those mk1 souls are light, springy, and generally great for a bit of everything, I think 1x systems are great for more aggro bikes and if your riding is more about the downs that anything else, but if you plan to do longer xc type rides and go on the road, 2 or 3x systems win IMO.

I have a Scandal as my XC bike, I wouldn’t want a 1x system on that, it is a bit limiting, whatever people say.

3x is a little bit old hat these days, though it works well still. I prefer the 2×10 on my scandal though.

amedias
    Free Member

I read about some people having chain line troubles with the bike on

Wont be specific to the bike as it uses a normal bottom bracket and standard 135mm rear spacing.

People do often have chainline issues with 1x in general, but that’s down to specific component choices really (BB width, crank spider offset, ring size etc.), not the frame causing it.

I wouldn’t ever recommend a particular setup (1x, 2x, 3x, IGH wtc.) for someone without knowing a bit more about where they ride, how they ride, and their specific fitness and strengths really as it’s too personal.

Do you have any option to try some bikes out with different setups, either through demo days, local shops, or borrowing mates bikes?

It would give you the option to try different setups on stuff you normally ride and for you to see what works for you, as some people get very attached to their choices and will just recommend what works for them, rather than what might work for others.

For ref, I have have bikes with SS, 1x, 2x, 3x and IGH, they get used for different things and all have their pros and cons. I like the simplicity of not having a front mech, but I dislike some of the compromises I have to make at times so it’s not always the answer despite what many will say.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best gears config for a Cotic Soul Mk1’ is closed to new replies.