Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Best chain lube to use?
  • prahran
    Free Member

Not really sure what’s best to use these days.
    Does anyone bother with wet or dry chain lubes or should I just use a can of good old WD40?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Muc Off Wet Lube

MarkN
    Free Member

WD40 is not a lubricant but a water displacer. Not suitable for lubricating your chain. I put GT85 in that same category as well.

I currently use Rock and Roll extreme but when the big bottle runs out I may need to find an alternative.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Finish line wet

prahran
    Free Member

So should I use my WD40 to spray on the chain after washing my bike, then add a chain lube?

Radioman

Rock N Roll…Chain lube is great. But read the instructions! Wet the chain with it then wipe it off well with an old rag(old cotton shirts work well!)… I have used Finishline XC etc in the past but this is the best i have found…almost eliminates chain cleaning

fivespot
    Free Member

WD40 Will prevent a clean chain from rusting, but will also prevent a proper lube from sticking to the chain.

As far as lubes go, I have tried Purple Extreme, Juice Lube, Finish Line and a few more I can’t remember. But the best so far has been Green Oil, it seems to outlast others by quite a margin. Never been left with a dry chain yet, no matter what conditions I had ridden in. 8)

MarkN
    Free Member

You could do. I tend to do that if I am in a rush after washing the bike down and not time to sort the chain properly. The WD will get the water out/off the chain. I then clean and lube when I come back to it in the next few days. I tend to wipe as much WD40 off if I am lubing the chain for a ride without fully cleaning it first.

If I have the time then the chain gets cleaned, wiped dry and then lubed ready for nest ride.

curvature
    Free Member

I have just converted to Rock N Roll and it is way better than anything else I have used.

As above follow the instructions and you will be quite amazed.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

rock n roll wet (blue one ) is the best one i’ve used cleans the chain too , got the muc off one as i ran out of r n r , but chain been dirty and claggy since going back to muc off stuff

downs523
    Free Member

Most posts seem to relate to wet lube… Is this better than dry even if you clean and re lube after each ride?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes, particularly in the winter as I find it stays on the chain better. A dry lube gets washed off more quickly. Second what people have mentioned about Rock n Roll extreme lube – excellent stuff in my experience. I use Squirt in the summer and on the road bike but it’s no good for winter use.

nealy
    Free Member

I recommend Rock n Roll Extreme for wet rides and Rock n Roll Gold for dry, easy to use and leaves a very clean and quiet chain if you follow the instructions although I apply it in the middle of the chain with a rag underneath rather than on the cassette as I don’t want the degreaser getting in the free hub or wheel bearings.

That said has anyone used Muc Off C3 Ceramic wet lube?

Pooley
    Free Member

Mark N alluded to it, but, I wouldn’t use GT85, WD40, I believe both use petrol based carrier. Fave lube of mine is Finish line wet, Juice lubes (I won some) quite good too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I use the rock and roll blue stuff as well. It’s ace, frankly.

chiefgrooveguru

Surprisingly the Halfords wet lube appears to be rather good.

Radioman

Since I moved to using Rock N Roll Lube…. chain wear has reduced…( I use Park Chain checker)…works in wet and dry

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Putoline chain wax – the performance is so superior to anything else.

I used to use finish line – My chains are now lasting several times as long and I only lube them every few hundred miles

superior to anything else I have tried including purple extreme

Its a solid wax in a tin – you melt it on the stove and dunk the chain. A filthy faff but well worth it. £18 a kilo not a fiver for 50 ml

sam_underhill

So after cleaning bike the chain is all wet, if you leave it it will rust. If you use gt85 it will effect the lube application, so what’s the best option? At the moment I go with gt85 then apply lube the next day once gt85 has evaporated.

project
    Free Member

Any synthetic engine oil works well use sparinly, and alos the Pound can of spray oil from Poundworld, not Poundland works extremely well , evaporates quickly and leaves a good lube base.

Oh and its only a quid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sam 0- use the wax you only need lube the chain every few hundred miles – maybe a coupld of hundred in foul conditions

mrelectric

I wash my bike where the water drains into my garden so have moved to Green Oil. It works well too!
    Got the other products too, but not yet tried them

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve used Rock n Roll blue all year round for years – nasty shit it is!
    Petrol based and eats your skin if you don’t wash it off straight away.

Think I might have a go with the waxy stuff when my current vat of it runs out.

So after cleaning bike the chain is all wet, if you leave it it will rust.

Dry the chain & cogs with a towel.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

you melt it on the stove and dunk the chain

Like we used to do with Duckhams, a million years ago TJ?

A stove? I think my Gran had one of those (& I’m 55!)

Seriously though TJ, does much crap stick to the chain? I’ve been using White Lightning Epic, which in my (ex motorcycle trials & MTB)experience, is pretty good.

Northwind

I like Finish Line Epic myself… Works for everything bar horrible clay mud. Their other lubes don’t seem that great though, the wet lube is just poor IMO.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

very similar esselgruntfuttock – updated with graphite and stuff

Not much crap sticks to the chain – two reasons – I wipe the outside of the chain down to remove excess and as its a solid wax once any exposed wx gets coated in dust then its no longer sticky.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Finish Line Wet, dry lubes just aren’t worth bothering with in the this country IMO.

I can’t really be bothered with trying loads of different ones although there might well be some better ones than Finish Line out there- I think it would be quite hard to really tell the difference unless they were spectacularly much better or worse, and I doubt any of them are.

Northwind

Anyone know if finish line wet from a bottle is hte same as the aerosol? It seems thicker out of the aerosol once the carrier’s flashed off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr salmon – I get much much longer chainlife now and the lube is much cheaper.

any of the edinbburgh folk want to try it email me – I’ll do a chain for you

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

thats so it sticks to your rotors , when you spray it on , i’d stick to bottled stuff

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

TJ – That’s too good an offer to refuse. email on it’s way!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Extreme here as well, SO much better than everything else available.

Rob Hilton – Member

I’ve used Rock n Roll blue all year round for years – nasty shit it is!
    Petrol based and eats your skin if you don’t wash it off straight away.

In that it’s based around Light Hydrocarbon solvents NOT Petrol!

Northwind

shieldsmtb – Member

thats so it sticks to your rotors , when you spray it on , i’d stick to bottled stuff

I lube my chains off the bike… Just, I seem to get better results from the aerosol stuff, but maybe it’s just down to application.

7hz
    Free Member

sam_underhill – Member

So after cleaning bike the chain is all wet, if you leave it it will rust.

Not if you don’t use washing up liquid to clean the bike, and take the bike inside to dry off afterwards – find the bike dries in a couple of hours inside.

rossm
    Free Member

I use 50/50 Sardine Oil and Double Cream – gently warmed.

For some reason I run over a lot of cats.

RobHilton
    Free Member

In that it’s based around Light Hydrocarbon solvents NOT Petrol!

My mistake! Dunno what light hydrocarbons are but it’s sure good for getting a fire started. 😉

Edit: From Wikepaedo

The catalyst-free hydrocarbons are routed to a main fractionator for separation into fuel gas, LPG, gasoline, naphtha, light cycle oils used in diesel and jet fuel, and heavy fuel oil.

I’m happy with my layman’s term description :mrgreen:

enfht
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Extreme for LOTS of reasons

Its the shizzle bizzle wotzzit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member

TJ – That’s too good an offer to refuse. email on it’s way!

Well I did his chain with the wax today – anyone else want to try it?

forexpipz
    Free Member

GT-85 is almost perfect. Spray that shit everywhere but remove brake pads and rotors. Its an awesome degreaser and its only 2.50 a pop at halfords.

You can use it on your chain but you must ensure to wipe your chain down after each ride and reapply. It will work fine – but if you forget to apply now and again then your chain will develop rust.

Dont bother white spiriting the chain and all that bollocks. Been there done that. Works better than just about anything if done correctly. Nasty for the environment though. Just wipe down for a couple of minutes and lob the chain into a tub of oil for a few hours. Hang the chain up above the container with a coffee filter, add infinitum. And you are done.

spudly1979
    Free Member

anyone got a linky for the rock n roll one?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Best chain lube to use?’ is closed to new replies.