Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Best bike for Trans Provence 2013?
  • generallevi
    Free Member

Juan,

Wouldn’t call you anything mate! Any constructive advice is taken on board. I think the reason we got the places is because if I’m honest we don’t fall into the typical Brits abroad alpine type, if there is such a thing? We ride on all sorts of Alpine tracks, in many different places. The 661 to Torbole high above Garda is one of the crazier trails we have done and Fay held her own against many fellas on bikes with much more travel. I hope trails like this will have stood us in good stead for what will be coming up but you can only give it your best shot.

timb34
    Free Member

Nothing really constructive to add, just wanted to say “Good effort” for getting the places. I guess you’ve already seen most of the published stuff, but by chance I was reading Adam Craig’s writeup on his blog last night ; http://www.adamcraig.net/trans-provence-2012-the-best-riding-of-your-life/

Oh and I think Juan is down in South East France somewhere? Juan, do you think the Transvesubienne would be good training for Levi and his missus?

juan
    Free Member

Oh and I think Juan is down in South East France somewhere? Juan, do you think the Transvesubienne would be good training for Levi and his missus?

Maybe, however the transvésubienne is not a “fun” race. It’s just one of those race you do to flatter your ego and say you’ve finished it. Big number, very difficult trails but no fun at all. The TV is very demanding as a one day effort, someone average will finish it in about 10-12 hours. I think doing one of the various enduros, or XMB arounud will be more in the spirit. None of the days of the TP are as hard ad the TV, however you’re riding seven days, but if you’re a good rider ride frequently and most importantly you can ride mostly 4-6 hours and 1300- 1800 rides you should have no problem finishing any of them.
    And that is without even considering the hardware.

timb34
    Free Member

That’s sort of funny – I ride mostly xc stuff around Montpellier and don’t descend that well, so I was thinking that for me the TV would be a much more achievable thing to do than the enduro races like the TP (where I’d surely die either from skidding off a switchback or from being ridden off the trail by eveyone else overtaking me…)

generallevi
    Free Member

Timb34, just read that piece by Adam Craig, really informative, honest write up. There seems to be some fun in their also, just a little at least…. 🙂

woolymonster
    Free Member

Mate, I don’t care what you say…you’ve got your peepers on an IBIS Mojo HD (remember that beauty on the wall at Llandegla??? 😀 & the comment of, ‘If I get in that Trans Provence event…I’m having that!’)

Just saying, just saying….

generallevi
    Free Member

Woolymonster, if you remember also around the time I was taking a lot of Morphine for this sinus infection so I cannot be held responsible for my actions…..

😉

bodie
    Free Member

Woolymonster, if you remember also around the time I was taking a lot of Morphine for this sinus infection so I cannot be held responsible for my actions…..

In that case, it’s a done deal!
    Blame the droogs

xcentric
    Free Member

would have thought it’s an ideal opportunity to try out a few bikes (Mojo, S-Works – all those listed above) and then pick up the best one for you second-hand. Ride it like mad on some similar trails beforehand, and if it’s better than your current bike, train and use that – then when you’re back, have both for a few months and sell the one you don’t use. Shouldn’t cost much at all, esp compared to the opportunity you have….. Same goes for your wife’s bike too…..

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

general, I took my xc fs bike, 100mm fork and 5 inch travel capability rear, it usually gets about 3 to 4 inches. The bike is a ti full sus bike with lovers and haters alike. I took my old friend the ibis BowTi, it has very xc head angles and was fine until things got steep steep. I also took a cold that gradually through the week got worse and then broke a couple of ribs, but still loved it and finished despite being toold by the doc to miss a day. I fitted the biggest dual ply tyres I could and a dropper post but i admit it wasnt the right bike for the job… I needed more travel and a slightly slacker head angle. The bike only weighs circa 24lbs so that was never a problem. I’d quite fancy lock out if i did it again for some of the link sections. I think a Scott Spark 120mm with a angleset would have been perfect or a Cannondale Jekyll.

messiah
    Free Member

When you find the cracks in your Alpine 160 you’ll know it’s time to change 🙄

catvet
    Free Member

If you look at the video footage from 2012 (day 5 I think) you will see some of the carbon frame chain stay fractures! light bike but didn’t make the grade under the unrelenting conditions.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I did a guided trip… most people were on 140mm bikes. My wife & I were both on Turner 5spots with zoke 55s and Fox 36s. They were perfect.. but I am a Turner fan

Ash had a couple of Nukeproof Megas with 170 Lyriks and 1×10. In fact there were quite a few 1x10s. I rode one of Ash’s Megas up a few of the stages no problem. If you’re strong enough to compete then you’d do just fine on 1×10 (I on the other hand would need to build up some strength).

My take on the TP – First of all you have to make sure that you are fit enough for the 7 longs days of intense riding both up and down. Sure you may be fast down hill but that won’t mean anything if you nothing left in the tanks on day 4.

Once you’ve got your fitness up there then make sure your tech skills are up for it.

julians
    Free Member

catvet – what bike was it that cracked?

Would love to do this event, but nowhere near fit enough.

Did the hope valley mtb challenge earlier this year (~30 miles and 5000 feet climbing), finished it, but couldnt have done it again the next day and then repeat for 5 more days, so doubt I could finish the TP.

catvet
    Free Member

Julians
    Not sure what bike but definitely saw cracked chain stay, would have to back and look through the video footage!!

catvet
    Free Member

Julians
    Day five 2012 videos at TP WEB SITE at 3.06 mins in
    Regards
    Catvet

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Has anyone competed on a 29er yet or do the switchbacks cancel that option out?

Also Cube Stereo 650b ? A light compromise for the race?

juan
    Free Member

That’s sort of funny – I ride mostly xc stuff around Montpellier and don’t descend that well, so I was thinking that for me the TV would be a much more achievable thing to do than the enduro races like the TP (where I’d surely die either from skidding off a switchback or from being ridden off the trail by eveyone else overtaking me…)

Honestly I think the TV is harder. You have time gates. Nothing stops you to catch your breath on the top of a hill at the TP. Plus there is only 70 of you so you can pootle at your own pace at the back of the race.

Tess
    Free Member

I took part in TP 2010. All I can say is whatever bike you choose, however much it weighs, practise carrying it up the steepest , longest hill/mountain you know. Cycle back down turn round and repeat ad infinitum.

Ooh and enjoy it. It is fabulous albeit a tad tiring.

martinh
    Free Member

Chainline phil completed it on a 29er. A rigid, fat-fronted Jones if I recall correctly

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Best bike for Trans Provence 2013?’ is closed to new replies.